Laval Rocket: 2023-24 Laval Rocket Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Laval has a lots of forwards now...

You need a lot of players to compensate for trades/injuries at both the NHL and AHL level.

These forwards have worse stats then defensemen. Very underwhelming additions so far.

Arseneau is McKay's replacement as the tough guy that will play on the 4th line, maybe not every game. Any offensive production is a bonus.

Dauphin was 0.85 ppg in his last year in the AHL, not sure what you're talking about. He's a good vet and I'm happy he's back.

Novak is ECHL depth like last year.

I wanted higher profile D adds, but these guys are good too. Vets bolded.

Heineman - Gignac - ABB
Farrell - Dauphin - Mesar
Perreault - Beck - Simoneau
Davidson - Condotta - Tuch
Arseneau, Kidney, Xhekaj (or back to junior)
ECHL: Novak, Mianscum

Wotherspoon - Mailloux
Engstrom - Reinbacher
Trudeau - Jacobs
Sevigny, Jandric

Dobes
Hughes
ECHL: Jones

Of course, Roy, Struble and Hutson can change things a lot if they start in Laval as they would push everyone down a spot.

As it stands now, I'd want 2-3 more forwards on AHL deals to start in TR and 2 more Ds on AHL deals to push Sevigny and Jandric to TR.

Would also be nice to package Perreault and Kidney for a better forward.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
You need a lot of players to compensate for trades/injuries at both the NHL and AHL level.

Arseneau is McKay's replacement as the tough guy that will play on the 4th line, maybe not every game. Any offensive production is a bonus.

Dauphin was 0.85 ppg in his last year in the AHL, not sure what you're talking about. He's a good vet and I'm happy he's back.

Novak is ECHL depth like last year.

I wanted higher profile D adds, but these guys are good too. Vets bolded.

Heineman - Gignac - ABB
Perreault - Beck - Simoneau
Davidson - Condotta - Tuch
Arseneau, Kidney, Xhekaj (or back to junior)
ECHL: Novak, Mianscum

Wotherspoon - Mailloux
Engstrom - Reinbacher
Trudeau - Jacobs
Sevigny, Jandric

Dobes
Hughes
ECHL: Jones

Of course, Roy, Struble and Hutson can change things a lot if they start in Laval as they would push everyone down a spot.

As it stands now, I'd want 2-3 more forwards on AHL deals to start in TR and 2 more Ds on AHL deals to push Sevigny and Jandric to TR.

Would also be nice to package Perreault and Kidney for a better forward.
I don't share your optimism with regards the lineup unless they send down all 3 you mentioned, and maybe even RHP as well. Just don't see the team competing for a playoff spot against more experienced teams with better veterans. This looks more like the goal is purely development at the expense of winning.

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I don't share your optimism with regards the lineup unless they send down all 3 you mentioned, and maybe even RHP as well. Just don't see the team competing for a playoff spot against more experienced teams with better veterans. This looks more like the goal is purely development at the expense of winning.

What "more experienced teams with better veterans"?

They almost made the playoffs with a worse team. What 5 teams in the North have a better roster than Laval?

Who are those vets better than Gignac, Dauphin and ABB?

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
ABB is great in the AHL.

Arseneau being there and making it so Xhekaj (if he's there) and Tuch can play their physical game and not have to fight the toughest players in the A. Won't be responsible for protecting the team.

Anyone watch the d their signed and know if they're on the tougher side, too ?

None of them are fighters, but they all have size.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Laval did good today. Finally a guy who can keep other teams honest and Wotherspoon is excellent at the AHL level.

I thought of you when I saw what Vincent Arseneau brings. They brought in a Baddock-type we've wanted.

None of them are fighters, but they all have size.

Arseneau can drop 'em. He's knocked Rempe on his ass in a fight.

But more than just fight, they brought in some guys who can keep the other team honest and give our prospects room to work.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I thought of you when I saw what Vincent Arseneau brings. They brought in a Baddock-type we've wanted.

Arseneau can drop 'em. He's knocked Rempe on his ass in a fight.

But more than just fight, they brought in some guys who can keep the other team honest and give our prospects room to work.

We were talking about the new Ds.

Arseneau is indeed the team tough guy and McKay's replacement.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Damn I thought Tobie Bisson was coming back...solid AHL vet

Yup. But he went and got himself an NHL deal. It was the same thing last time. Habs offered AHL deal and he signed an NHL deal in LA. Played a year there and came back to sign an AHL with Laval. This time, he signed an NHL deal with Tampa.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Laval did good today. Finally a guy who can keep other teams honest and Wotherspoon is excellent at the AHL level.

Yeah I remember Wotherspoon being a leader on D for Utica.

I think they could still use a physical 2nd line forward to help guys like Kidney, Mesar.

Reactions: Nevins and Tyson

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Saw a brief clip of Vincent Arseneau on RDS, he looks exactly like what the Dr ordered.

Said he's not afraid of anyone on ice and that he wants to be a difference maker by hitting, scoring, creating space for younger players and being a leader in the locker room.

IMO those type of signings are ideal for the Rocket (competent Qc vets to support the prospect pipeline + contribute to growing a the fanbase in Laval).

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yeah I remember Wotherspoon being a leader on D for Utica.

I think they could still use a physical 2nd line forward to help guys like Kidney, Mesar.

They already have a pretty full top6

Roy - Gignac - ABB
Heineman - Dauphin - Mesar

Or if Roy makes the team:

Heineman - Gignac - ABB

Kidney shouldn't be touching the top6.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Laval lost a huge amount of vets over the last two seasons. Maillet gone too ?
Probably..

He wasn't very good imo. It took him a while to get going.

The team sucked defensively and the way Dobes moved in the net I thought he was soooo bad they should just mutually agree to terminate his contract but he improved immensely and that's a credit to him and the goalie coach.

Like, he routinely would slide past his posts going side-to-side.

None of the vets really helped to stabilize anything

Given that Wotherspoon, Sevigny and Jacob's don't put up a lot of points, but they've held regular AHL spots should mean they're solid defensively and the Rocket really needed that.

Wotherspoon has put up 20+ points consistently, so to do that AND be responsible defensively is nice.

Gignac has been great in the A. Deserved his contract and I hope he continues his play and he gets some NHL games as a thank you.

Doesn't look like McKay has a contract. Hopefully they bring him back as that extra toughness/physicality incase the games really goes south.

New season and I kind of want to see what Perreault can do, but at the same time I don't.

Hunter Jones is still young for a goalie. At his size, I hope the Habs given him the number 1 spot in the ECHL and give some support there. With Jakov likely being in the AHL they will need a new scorer. Long reach, but could be something in 2, or 3 years.

Laval should be fun from the get go this year.

Gotta give props as they seemed to address every issue that Laval had. In all likelihood ABB is sent there and he's elite, or high-end in the AHL, so he can be a game breaker while the others can provide solid offense.

Rocket might even get RHP.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Probably..

The team sucked defensively and the way Dobes moved in the net I thought he was soooo bad they should just mutually agree to terminate his contract but he improved immensely and that's a credit to him and the goalie coach.

Given that Wotherspoon, Sevigny and Jacob's don't put up a lot of points, but they've held regular AHL spots should mean they're solid defensively and the Rocket really needed that.

Wotherspoon has put up 20+ points consistently, so to do that AND be responsible defensively is nice.

Gignac has been great in the A. Deserved his contract and I hope he continues his play and he gets some NHL games as a thank you.

Doesn't look like McKay has a contract. Hopefully they bring him back as that extra toughness/physicality incase the games really goes south.

New season and I kind of want to see what Perreault can do, but at the same time I don't.

Hunter Jones is still young for a goalie. At his size, I hope the Habs given him the number 1 spot in the ECHL and give some support there. With Jakov likely being in the AHL they will need a new scorer. Long reach, but could be something in 2, or 3 years.

Gotta give props as they seemed to address every issue that Laval had. In all likelihood ABB is sent there and he's elite, or high-end in the AHL, so he can be a game breaker while the others can provide solid offense.

Wotherspoon is considered as one of the best defensive dmen in the league

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Probably..

Your assessment of Dobes says more about you than about him.

Arseneau is Mckay's replacement/upgrade. I don't think he'll be back.

Jones will probably back up Bouthillier or Emond. Hasn't really shown anything even at the ECHL level. If injuries occurs, he'll warm the AHL bench and allow TR to still play a good goalie.

Jakov is unlikely to be in the AHL as it's already full. The 1-way is just so he gets a legit salary and doesn't go to Europe.

RHP getting sent down would be surprising.

CrazyBob

Jul 11, 2004
I was wondering. Whats the deal with Kidney? I thought he was supposed to be a good offensive prospect that had good stats in junior. Is he not progressing in the AHL?

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Arseneau looks like a linebacker wow

Nobody is gonna touch our guys

1719929847593.png

570a958e-f5ba-490d-b6a1-7b4cb94b12db_text.gif

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I was wondering. Whats the deal with Kidney? I thought he was supposed to be a good offensive prospect that had good stats in junior. Is he not progressing in the AHL?

He was always going to need 3 years in the AHL with his frame. He had flashes down there but it's a big adjustment to pro hockey for the thin, skilled guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad