Laval Rocket: 2023-24 Laval Rocket Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
What's going on with Laval? the coach is gone also now and many players never last,laval can't or doesn't want to retain them or the players want out? can't blame them but still.

I think you're overthinking it.

Houle is a Clarkson alumni and spend his summer nearby in the summer. It's also a more stable job with more autonomy.

AHL vets move around all the time looking for opportunities.

Reactions: nicehiss and Fenris

Jul 6, 2016
I am expecting Habs to sign some UFA minor leagues players to fill few empty chairs left recently. You can’t have a team with only rookies and green players. Or it could be through minor trades.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
They will still need a few vets in the line-up. They have Gignac and Condotta still under contract. But they will still need a few more. And Barre-Boulet would be a big get for Laval because he's a top notch player at that level and he can even step into your NHL line-up and still play respectable.

In his AHL career, he's put up 299 pts in 294 GP. He's over a PPG player. And over the years, he's put up 18 pts in 68 NHL games, which is not bad considering he's mostly an AHL player.

I understand the priority should be the prospects, but you still need those kids to be around pros, and pros who can also deliver on the ice.
Not having veteran presence is actually hindering growth not promoting it.
It's plain to see and out in the open given what David Savard has done for our Kids.

Addik04

Sep 15, 2010
Bourque was less than useless last year. 4th liner in the ahl and he wasn’t even good at that.
He isnt there because he is good anymore. He is there to keep the rookie in the right direction, lead them, get the room together, etc.

They will need a few of them because that will also be a mess if they hire a rookie coach.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
He isnt there because he is good anymore. He is there to keep the rookie in the right direction, lead them, get the room together, etc.

They will need a few of them because that will also be a mess if they hire a rookie coach.
I honestly don’t know what he was providing this season. He wasn’t even hitting anymore let alone scoring.They could’ve done better.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

I'm not a fan of covering up a bad coaching hire with a bad player selection.

Hire a good coach. I checked and the Habs can afford it under the cap.

Addik04

Sep 15, 2010
I'm not a fan of covering up a bad coaching hire with a bad player selection.

Hire a good coach. I checked and the Habs can afford it under the cap.
You need both. A good coach without good veteran isnt good. The veteran needs to be good off the ice as well.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
You need both. A good coach without good veteran isnt good. The veteran needs to be good off the ice as well.
Agreed. But having a vet who is useless on the ice is not the right plan, and it can't be justified by having hired a poor coach.

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I highly doubt he'll be back he didn't bring what they expected from a Captain (on the ice).
He was probably a cool head in the room but that isn't enough IMO.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I highly doubt he'll be back he didn't bring what they expected from a Captain (on the ice).
He was probably a cool head in the room but that isn't enough IMO.
He’s declined a lot and is barely a 4th liner at this point.

Reactions: Rapala

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022

I agree with Houle. Yeah, development is key. First thing. But geez...you do need vets that will help those kids. And make this a winning environment.
If they had kept Roy and Gignac there and sent RHP down early, it probably would’ve made the difference between missing and getting in. A couple more wins and they would’ve been in. I’m not saying guys don’t deserve a shot, but if you want a winning team, you can’t keep stealing the best players. Losing Simmoneau killed them as well. Lots of heart and tenacity as well as scoring was lost.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
If they had kept Roy and Gignac there and sent RHP down early, it probably would’ve made the difference between missing and getting in. A couple more wins and they would’ve been in. I’m not saying guys don’t deserve a shot, but if you want a winning team, you can’t keep stealing the best players. Losing Simmoneau killed them as well. Lots of heart and tenacity as well as scoring was lost.

The biggest impact was keeping Norlinder instead of trading him for a defensive D after Keeper went down to try stopping the team bleeding goals.

With an average D (on their side of the ice), Laval easily makes the PO.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
The biggest impact was keeping Norlinder instead of trading him for a defensive D after Keeper went down to try stopping the team bleeding goals.

With an average D (on their side of the ice), Laval easily makes the PO.
I’ve said before, I don’t blame the D. The team D was bad. I agree, the sooner Norlinder goes, the better. I can’t see him staying. I’m surprised he hasn’t already gone to Europe.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I’ve said before, I don’t blame the D. The team D was bad. I agree, the sooner Norlinder goes, the better. I can’t see him staying. I’m surprised he hasn’t already gone to Europe.

5th in goals for

25th in goals against

18th PP

26th PK

Special teams and team D (whether you want to blame the forwards, D or G) were the major issues, not goalscoring.

Reactions: montreal and Nevins

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Another vet other than Barre-Boulet I'd love to see Habs sign is Kole Lind.

He's a UFA. He was with Seattle the last two years and was with the Canucks before. But he spent most of his time in the AHL.

He's 25 and his last two seasons in Coachella Valley:

2021-22: 62 pts (30G, 32A) in 72 GP
31 pts (9G, 22A) in 26 playoff games

2022-23: 65 pts (17G, 48A) in 69 GP
11 pts (5G, 6A) in 18 playoff games

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
5th in goals for

25th in goals against

18th PP

26th PK

Special teams and team D (whether you want to blame the forwards, D or G) were the major issues, not goalscoring.
For sure. What I was saying earlier was that if those guys had been around (RHP, Roy, Simmoneau) it wouldn’t necessarily help the D, but would’ve resulted in the extra wins they needed to make the playoffs.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Another vet other than Barre-Boulet I'd love to see Habs sign is Kole Lind.

He's a UFA. He was with Seattle the last two years and was with the Canucks before. But he spent most of his time in the AHL.

He's 25 and his last two seasons in Coachella Valley:

2021-22: 62 pts (30G, 32A) in 72 GP
31 pts (9G, 22A) in 26 playoff games

2022-23: 65 pts (17G, 48A) in 69 GP
11 pts (5G, 6A) in 18 playoff games

What about Adam Gaudette?

2023-24Springfield ThunderbirdsAHL6744277151

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Rumored months ago to go back to the KHL if I remember properly.
It looks like none of the vets without a contract are coming back actually.

Andersson, Galipeau, Yaremko, Mann and Cederqvist are already gone.

Maillet and Stephens (KHL) rumoured back to Europe.

No word on Bisson, Keeper, Bourque, Durandeau and McKay.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
How do Western players go to the KHL during the sanctions?

How do they convert their salaries, in Rubles, into US dollars? Do they pass it through Chinese or Kazakh or Turkish banks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad