Injury Report: 2023-24 Injury thread (McGinn out 4 months after back surgery)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Lots of touchy people about tanking. We don't need to tank coz we suck when we are trying to win. Take away that run we had at the start of the year and we would be a lot lower than we are right now.

Its inevitable when there is nothing to cheer for because we keep losing that people will try to find a silver lining offering some hope that we will get better in the future. No point attacking each other because you think everyone should think the same way as you do.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I guess we can agree to disagree about Mac's talent. Not the first time I've disagreed with others about Mac's talent.
I'm a huge fan of MM but he isn't at the level Carlsson is (who has looked like our very best player in about half the games he's played as an 18 y.o.). Also, McTavish last year wasn't the McTavish of this year. He's taken strides offensively and has made plays that i never expected out of him and honestly probably neither did you. While he had a solid rookie year, It wasn't obvious at all after last year that he could eventually really become the focal point of an offense on an elite team. he might able to, but Carlsson looks like he'll be just that much better.

MM has already surpassed Z for me whereas going into the season it was really a tossup; i see Mason having the better career even if Z is at some level more naturally gifted.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Lots of touchy people about tanking. We don't need to tank coz we suck when we are trying to win. Take away that run we had at the start of the year and we would be a lot lower than we are right now.

Its inevitable when there is nothing to cheer for because we keep losing that people will try to find a silver lining offering some hope that we will get better in the future. No point attacking each other because you think everyone should think the same way as you do.

That's the odd part about rebuilding years, there's plenty to cheer for because you have prospects integrating into the NHL and AHL programs. If they are improving, then that'll be great for next season. Or maybe there are some vets who improve their game like Des did with us years back or how Leason and Vaak are improving this season.

Last year was crazy. People were getting angry that we were winning, then the TDL happened along with Rico's long absence that took away our winning mojo.

Teams still need amazing scouting regardless of where one picks in the draft. Look at the 2019 draft: we got Z 9th overall, Minny nabbed Boldy at 12th, and Montreal snagged Caufield at 15th.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'm a huge fan of MM but he isn't at the level Carlsson is (who has looked like our very best player in about half the games he's played as an 18 y.o.). Also, McTavish last year wasn't the McTavish of this year. He's taken strides offensively and has made plays that i never expected out of him and honestly probably neither did you. While he had a solid rookie year, It wasn't obvious at all after last year that he could eventually really become the focal point of an offense on an elite team. he might able to, but Carlsson looks like he'll be just that much better.

MM has already surpassed Z for me whereas going into the season it was really a tossup; i see Mason having the better career even if Z is at some level more naturally gifted.

Are you speaking for me? HONESTLY, did you read any of the 2021 pre-draft posts from me? Apparently, you have not at all. Apparently, you didn't do any deep dive research on Mac. You can watch Mac's WJC-18 scouting video here, as proof of his many talents you didn't know existed. There were only two to three people who wanted Mac at 3rd overall and I was its president.

As for believing when Mac would pass up Z, it should have been on Jan 4th, 2023. That's the first game Mac was designated as the Ducks' 1C. Oddly enough, I was in the minority or the only minority that wanted Mac as a top-6C to start the season. It took 9 games before the org move him from LW to C.

Going into the 2023 draft, guess who wanted Carlsson over Fantilli at 2nd overall? Yep, that's me in the minority again. Me and my deep dives. Probably shouldn't speak for me when it comes to talking about prospects.

Carlsson's injured right now. He might still be growing taller. If so, then he's going to be needing to fill in a bit more in the next couple of years as well as adjustment to a different height. The added mass could help Carlsson prevent from getting injured.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The great thing about Carlsson and McTavish is that they each play a completely different style. It's a great 1-2 punch down the middle in whatever order you prefer.

They both play different styles when flying about offensively, but they also play a similar game such that they do a lot of the little things that go unrecorded and unnoticed, which includes puck retrievals, puck securing, as well as puck protection. The latter description was part of the reason why I wanted Carlsson in the draft b/c his play reminded of McTavish's play.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

Not attacking people for not thinking like me, I'm attacking people for rooting against my team on my team's board. Don't do it and you won't have to come up with dumb strawmen like this.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I continue to respectfully disagree with you about the load management - I think there was plenty of thought and analysis and intention behind it, and I think the idea was solid. And I don't think it suggested an indifference to winning - Verbeek's stated goal was for Carlsson to be better in the second half (i.e. contribute more toward winning) than rookies often are. His statements made it clear the Ducks thought they could get more overall value from Carlsson with the load management plan than by playing him every game in the first half. I view this the same way baseball teams don't pitch their best pitchers every day. There's no real precedent for it in hockey, and I think it probably only increases value in extremely limited circumstances, but for a guy like Carlsson, it could make sense. We'll never know if it would have worked (and this is true whether Carlsson got hurt or not). I can't argue that it would have worked - I have no idea - but I don't think it is reflective of a disinterest in winning.
That's fine, I don't mean a gimmick like a flimflam, I just doubt that there's much substance to it and in some ways it's unfalsifiable. I admit I could be wrong but I'd like you to admit that a team only does this if the season they're playing doesn't matter much to them, because I could be right. Right? No one disagrees that Leo's ready now, because he's playing now, so him being good later in the season perforce means that being good later is better than being good now.

So yeah it might make him better in the second half, certainly we're past whenever it was supposed to end, but in the meantime he's got no chemistry and he's had close to zero impact, and any chance the team had to have a decent season on ice is pretty much over.

To bring this back to the beginning, they can (and certainly will) argue it turned out better in the end but like you say, there is no way to ever know if that's true. Hence, gimmicky.

What's dumb is getting upset over what people post on an internet forum
"u mad" doesn't work on me.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Add Leason… so brutal in slo mo:

I know we have issues with scoring but I’d prefer if our offensive players focused on offense on our grinders focused on physicality giving space to the offensive players.

Lilleberg was a free agent this off-season and he looks more useful as a physical dman than in-between guys like Helleson and Lindstrom types who aren’t all that physical and don’t produce offensively. But it seems like we sign these “two way” guys thinking they could help our overall offense but we end up still being bad offensively and too soft. Leason falls in this area too… pilsbury soft giant and not really a dynamic scorer.

I’m missed the days where we scoured for those free role players… Huskins, Dipenta, college and Euro free agent… etc. or traded for grit like Moen.. It feels like our signings are more reactionary and more like temporary bodies and secondary options.

Reactions: Dirk316

navyduck

Sep 26, 2011
Brutal hit. Clean, but brutal. Hope Leason isn't hurt too bad. But I expect concussion woth possible broken nose/jaw. Landing face first on the ice looks bad.

Reactions: Yemeth

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Terrible response from the Ducks.
its been open season on the ducks for a while. Even Fowler got lit up a few mins after this by Kucherov.

Sickening to see nobody on the ice do anything. I don't think getting another Ross Johnston / Deslauriers is the answer. The top 6 / top 4 d-man need to do something there. What is Hagg even doing? He offers nothing in terms of talent or usefulness, he can't stick up for a teammate there? seriously?

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
its been open season on the ducks for a while. Even Fowler got lit up a few mins after this by Kucherov.

Sickening to see nobody on the ice do anything. I don't think getting another Ross Johnston / Deslauriers is the answer. The top 6 / top 4 d-man need to do something there. What is Hagg even doing? He offers nothing in terms of talent or usefulness, he can't stick up for a teammate there? seriously?

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I hope Leason recovers soon, but I'm glad no one went and immediately fought Lilleberg or took a run at him right then for what was a legal check. That would have resulted in a penalty and possibly a suspension/fine if the run was violent enough. I wouldn't have minded Gudas or Carrick taking every opportunity to check him legally the rest of the game, but instead we got Groulx taking a stupid crosschecking penalty that led to a goal.

If it was an illegal check, then absolutely go and give Lilleberg hell for it. But on a legal check? That's just hockey. Play more physically, within the rules, the rest of the game if you want to send a message.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Add Leason… so brutal in slo mo:

I know we have issues with scoring but I’d prefer if our offensive players focused on offense on our grinders focused on physicality giving space to the offensive players.

Lilleberg was a free agent this off-season and he looks more useful as a physical dman than in-between guys like Helleson and Lindstrom types who aren’t all that physical and don’t produce offensively. But it seems like we sign these “two way” guys thinking they could help our overall offense but we end up still being bad offensively and too soft. Leason falls in this area too… pilsbury soft giant and not really a dynamic scorer.

I’m missed the days where we scoured for those free role players… Huskins, Dipenta, college and Euro free agent… etc. or traded for grit like Moen.. It feels like our signings are more reactionary and more like temporary bodies and secondary options.

The three defensive adds this year were Gudas, Haag, and Lybushkin. All physical.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
The three defensive adds this year were Gudas, Haag, and Lybushkin. All physical.
We need to scour for Middleton/Dillon types who were free agents late bloomers who can actually play physical defense and answer the bell, and respond when our skilled players, prospects, and goalie get run. Not Holl or Vishnevsky types who get ragged dolled.

How can our offense run when our young guns aren’t focused because they don’t want to get wrecked? This season is done and we aren’t going get to the playoffs next year either. We need to add real bullies who aren’t afraid to get penalties or suspended to build comradery to let our offense take that next step. It will be easier for our scorers if the opponent is distracted dealing with Bennett, Xhekaj, Jeannot types.

Last edited:

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I feel like it happened earlier in the game and that moment was the "yeah this is something more serious" moment.
A lot of pressure on Minty… his development is the most critical right now. Pray that he has a full recovery and doesn’t have significant reoccurring injuries. Maybe he can be another Ekman Larsson for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad