Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
IMO the only good reason to trade him is if he would prefer a change of scenery. This is just my opinion, but Gibson doesn't seem like a guy who would be OK with splitting the job with Dostal. If he is cool with that, then I'm cool with keeping him. There has definitely been plenty of smoke around his name in the past to suggest he might be on board with a trade.
I honestly dont give a f*** what he wants. He is under contract and doesnt really have any ground to stand on. He has sucked, his fault or not doesnt really matter, for a couple years now and it isn't like the Ducks are losing out on some great asset if he sits out.

Well this changes things! Not good for Gibson.
About what I would expect Gibson to get at 4 mil. A late-mid round 1st.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I honestly dont give a f*** what he wants. He is under contract and doesnt really have any ground to stand on. He has sucked, his fault or not doesnt really matter, for a couple years now and it isn't like the Ducks are losing out on some great asset if he sits out.

About what I would expect Gibson to get at 4 mil. A late-mid round 1st.
If that's what markstrom gets it isnt what Gibson will get.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Sounds like markstrom would only waive for New Jersey. So, too many damn variables in this one to draw solid conclusions I guess.

Reactions: Kalv

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
If that's what markstrom gets it isnt what Gibson will get.
I don't understand this logic.

Markstrom is 4 years older, signed for 1 less year, has also been average 3 of the last 4 years while on a MUCH better team. AND he had a NMC and would only go to NJ.

Reactions: Kalv

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
It really depends on follow up moves….

Let’s say we trade zegras for Reinbacher + jets 1st….. then draft 1 of lindstrom/Demidov/sannecke … and still have 3 picks in the 25-35 range to trade for a potential winger now. Can still throw money at a top 6 forward or use some of those assets. Maybe get a necas or boeser and roll with

We end up with a potential top shut down dmen In reinbacher
Still get a forward that can score
Still have a bunch of picks to make moves…. Bring in a top 6 forward as a prospect for next year or the year after.

I mean it can make sense if it’s done the right way
that's just making a lot of assumptions though. Pat hasn't shown me he's great when it comes to trades unless the player he's getting back is asking to be moved out. IF he gets Reinbacher, he most likely needs to be sheltered for at least 2 seasons before he becomes an actual reliable shutdown defensemen. then whoever we draft with our pick will also not be a impact player (if ever) for years.

I just dont see a world where we move Zegras and Pat makes a bunch of additional moves to make this roster competitive.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I don't understand this logic.

Markstrom is 4 years older, signed for 1 less year, has also been average 3 of the last 4 years while on a MUCH better team. AND he had a NMC and would only go to NJ.
He was very recently a vezina finalist and his analytics have been, for the most part, much better. I would be shocked if Gibson returned this.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
trading Zegras does nothing but further set back the team. is the franchise really only interested in being a shit team to just keep loading up on picks just to trade them away for more picks/prospects? guess being bad forever helps keep cost down...

A Zegras trade to me shows this franchise has zero interest in ever being a competitive team.

For me it would show that we don’t have the right GM (assuming the best player in the deal is Zegras). Getting infatuated with a specific type of player is not how you win championships.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
For me it would show that we don’t have the right GM (assuming the best player in the deal is Zegras). Getting infatuated with a specific type of player is not how you win championships.

We also don’t no any of the story with zegras…. Maybe the smoke is legit

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
that's just making a lot of assumptions though. Pat hasn't shown me he's great when it comes to trades unless the player he's getting back is asking to be moved out. IF he gets Reinbacher, he most likely needs to be sheltered for at least 2 seasons before he becomes an actual reliable shutdown defensemen. then whoever we draft with our pick will also not be a impact player (if ever) for years.

I just dont see a world where we move Zegras and Pat makes a bunch of additional moves to make this roster competitive.
I also don't see a world where Verbeek yet again kicks the can down the road towards being a competitive NHL team. Moving Zegras for Reinbacher makes us significantly worse in the near term, and gets rid of one of our few proven offensive talents for another 19 year old dman project with zero experience playing on AHL/NHL ice.

If Zegras does ever get moved, it is going to be for something that has an impact on the NHL roster, not more picks and prospects. We need to start pulling ourselves out of the endless rebuild purgatory.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I also don't see a world where Verbeek yet again kicks the can down the road towards being a competitive NHL team. Moving Zegras for Reinbacher makes us significantly worse in the near term, and gets rid of one of our few proven offensive talents for another 19 year old dman project with zero experience playing on AHL/NHL ice.

If Zegras does ever get moved, it is going to be for something that has an impact on the NHL roster, not more picks and prospects. We need to start pulling ourselves out of the endless rebuild purgatory.

I agree. PV was pretty clear that he wants to take a step forward. Trading Zegras for anything less than an upgrade is nonsensical. The Ducks need NHL players to move forward. They have enough prospects and picks.

One thing to consider as well is how the current best teams manage their teams. Florida and Vegas have made their teams through trades/free agents, not just drafting. Edmonton, Ottawa, and Buffalo tried to focus only on drafting and it's tough. Buffalo is still struggling and Edmonton needed two generational players to get them over the hump.

The Ducks are in the perfect position to acquire NHL players and to make the next step. My hope is that PV doesn't settle. The Ducks need quality NHL players to support the younger guys and the wrong mix will keep the Ducks out of the playoffs for awhile.

Reactions: Reveille1984

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Losing Z would suck, but if they are getting back a Top pairing D of similar age, then can live with it, plus I feel Ducks fans are underrating both Leo and Cutter who I think end up being better players than Z. Prefer they keep Z but I get it’s a business. I just don’t see any reason to trade him now unless Verbeek is getting a deal that he cannot pass up. It’s painful to say about Z, but he never was the Ducks best player, and don’t think he will ever be, imo.

With that said, Would anyone shed a tear if they trade Gibson? It’s time to part ways, if they can. Dostal I think is ready to take on the starting role. I mean he did kinda took it over towards the end of last season.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Losing Z would suck, but if they are getting back a Top pairing D of similar age, then can live with it, plus I feel Ducks fans are underrating both Leo and Cutter who I think end up being better players than Z. Prefer they keep Z but I get it’s a business. I just don’t see any reason to trade him now unless Verbeek is getting a deal that he cannot pass up. It’s painful to say about Z, but he never was the Ducks best player, and don’t think he will ever be, imo.

With that said, Would anyone shed a tear if they trade Gibson? It’s time to part ways, if they can. Dostal I think is ready to take on the starting role. I mean he did kinda took it over towards the end of last season.
Yep, Carlsson is pretty much the franchise best hope for a 100 point superstar and on top of that he'll be better defensively too. Would rather keep Zegras but if he wants out then I guess they gotta move him.

As far as trade goes I wonder if Columbus Jiricek is a possibility. He's from 2022 draft unlike Redenbacher so he'd be closer to making a impact.
Anaheim can pick Demidov and NJ trades for Zegras.

Mintyukov/Jiricek
Zellweger/Gudas
Fowler/LaCombe/Vaak/Luneau

Reactions: Leonardo87

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Moving Gibson at this point sucks. His value has never been lower and I really do think he will turn it around. Shame that it seems like it will be with a team that isn't us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad