Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Everything is cyclical, and Methot is hardly my go to for in depth analysis. You need SOME size. You don’t ONLY need size, or cannot win with smaller guys mixed in too. Colorado was 2 years ago, and that wasn’t a physically huge roster.
I don't disagree with your post, but I do want to say being small brings nothing. Obviously smaller guys are more likely to be agile and quick, but you would rather have a 6'2 quick and agile skater rather then a 5'10 guy everything else being the same.

I think it's an important thing to remember. The Ducks are drafting big guy that can skate. Yes they are all over 6 foot, but they all can skate. This isn't 2000 where there were big pilons out there that couldn't move.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Playing heavy is more than just physical size though. Look how Vatanen played vs Fowler for example. Even Zel is a little pitbull, he's a small guy but doesn't play small/soft.
I don’t consider Johnson and Stamkoven to have heavy games, and I’d take both in a heartbeat. Ditto Makar. Methot and Simpson are explicitly saying it’s size.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I don't disagree with your post, but I do want to say being small brings nothing. Obviously smaller guys are more likely to be agile and quick, but you would rather have a 6'2 quick and agile skater rather then a 5'10 guy everything else being the same.

I think it's an important thing to remember. The Ducks are drafting big guy that can skate. Yes they are all over 6 foot, but they all can skate. This isn't 2000 where there were big pilons out there that couldn't move.
Yes, but so far all those big guys that can skate are pretty “meh” at the whole skilled hockey thing (we will ignore Carlsson as an outlier, who’s also not actually big, yet). There’s no harm in mixing in some smaller, much higher skill guys, as long as they aren’t purely peripheral players. I don’t think NYR are improved by removing Panarin from their lineup.

Reactions: Kalv

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Playing heavy is more than just physical size though. Look how Vatanen played vs Fowler for example. Even Zel is a little pitbull, he's a small guy but doesn't play small/soft.
Vatanen was scrappy and cool and all but even in spite of the attitude he was pretty soft and definitely a less effective player than Fowler - even in the playoffs

I agree with you about zell though- think he has the perfect attitude for a shorter player

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Vatanen was scrappy and cool and all but even in spite of the attitude he was pretty soft and definitely a less effective player than Fowler - even in the playoffs

I agree with you about zell though- think he has the perfect attitude for a shorter player

Fowler was/is a better player than Vats, I'm talking purely about playing big/small.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Given the type of team PV is trying to build, it's going to be very interesting to see which direction they go with the 3OA pick. Demidov, Silayev, Lindstrom, Levshunov, Iginla all bring very different strengths to the table.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
1000%. I’ve always felt you can play up and down 2 inches, so a 5’11 guy can play 6’1 and vice versa.

Fowler was/is a better player than Vats, I'm talking purely about playing big/small.
Vats was very solid. I’d say peak vats and peak Fowler were basically even.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Hakanpää is a free agent this summer. Bring the big boy back? Although I am a bit worried about his recent injury.
Based on how he played in Anaheim, I'd bring him back. Based on how he's played since leaving, probably not beyond what you'd pay for a 3rd pairing.

Fowler worked his usual magic and dragged his competency up to middle pairing, so Hakanpaa looked better than what he actually was while he was here (to be fair, he didn't look bad with Lindholm either). I don't know if he's enough to shore up the right side.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Everything is cyclical, and Methot is hardly my go to for in depth analysis. You need SOME size. You don’t ONLY need size, or cannot win with smaller guys mixed in too. Colorado was 2 years ago, and that wasn’t a physically huge roster.

Yeah I don't think it will ever be a case of biggest team wins, but you definitely have to have those heavier presence guys sprinkled through the lineup - ones who can actually make an impact with their play. But the best teams have a balance of talent, grit, goaltending, heart, speed, size and whatever else (plus timely luck to get right to the end and win), there's no one perfect formula.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
One of the most hilarious returns in recent memory. Tampa basically wiped out a whole year's worth of draft picks for a guy who regressed so hard he might as well be a Cro-Magnon.
It would be pretty incredible if a change of scenery resulted in him bouncing back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad