2023-24 Frank J. Selke Trophy finalists: Aleksander Barkov, Auston Matthews, Jordan Staal | Winner: Aleksander Barkov

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
I’m glad it was a deserved Barkov runaway for the Selke.

Part of me wonders why there are so many posters crapping on the Matthews votes.

I just have to remember that these boards also have posters that said shit in the Lindsay thread.

Do some posters here think they watch more hockey than the selke voters? Or…are they the same posters who talk like they know more than actual NHLers who were the best players in the season?

Or….is it just biased hatred

I love it!!! Hahaha

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
To players. Play empowerment is crazy, and if the player doesn’t like you then you won’t get good soundbytes, answers to your questions, or favorable time.

Players feed into it too. They know which media member did or didn’t vote them on major awards. These major awards can influence contracts and compensation in a big way. Considering how close Matthews was from being a finalist to not even being top 5, those 2 number 1 media votes had a big impact and may help Matthews in contract negotiations.

Agents leak a lot of information too, and you want them to pick up the phone when you call. They do that when you write good stories about their client, and when you vote for their client on major awards.

Wait, why would it matter to a team if a reporter put in a vote for one of their players or not? What does it do? Where’s the benefit for the team?

Maybe, at one end, it leads to an increase in contract demands. On the other end, it looks absolutely ridiculous on that reporter when the votes get revealed.

Much more likely than either, none of it actually matters to anyone.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The selke trophy seems to be way more skewed towards offense compared to its origins.

I think it was brought on as a way to recognize certain players who exceled in handling the toughest checking assignments which was not a glamorous job at the time.

I'm not sure how to define it now with as much precision, but I feel like it's been a process of recoding it's DNA, and when I see certain nominations now, it doesn't quite resonate to me the way it used to.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Matthews: Is this one of those "a good defense is a good offense" type of deal?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I’m glad it was a deserved Barkov runaway for the Selke.

Part of me wonders why there are so many posters crapping on the Matthews votes.

I just have to remember that these boards also have posters that said shit in the Lindsay thread.

Do some posters here think they watch more hockey than the selke voters? Or…are they the same posters who talk like they know more than actual NHLers who were the best players in the season?

Or….is it just biased hatred

I love it!!! Hahaha
The Writers assosiciation are just a bunch of fans that are journalists. I wouldn’t be surprised if a large number of people of HF are much more aware and educated on what’s happening around the entire league then writers who focus only on things that pander to their audience.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Barkov proved last night why this award is his to lose for the next 5 years.

Incredible stock work, literally took away 2-3 key slot passes with his stick in the perfect position. Dude's defensive reads are out of this world.

Reactions: Felidae

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Wait, why would it matter to a team if a reporter put in a vote for one of their players or not? What does it do? Where’s the benefit for the team?
It benefits the player, not the team.
Maybe, at one end, it leads to an increase in contract demands. On the other end, it looks absolutely ridiculous on that reporter when the votes get revealed.
Thats why we dunk on Luke Fox and other clearly biased media members who vote for matthews and/or marner every year whether they have a selke case or not.
Much more likely than either, none of it actually matters to anyone.
When there is this much money involved, it clearly matters to a lot of people. Don't get this take.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Barkov proved last night why this award is his to lose for the next 5 years.

Incredible stock work, literally took away 2-3 key slot passes with his stick in the perfect position. Dude's defensive reads are out of this world.

Barkov has been on the ice for 1 goal against at even strenght against Kucherov-Pasta- Panarin trio

These guys will never truly get the credit they deserve but they are among the most valuable players in the league, despite never winning the scoring races

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
The Writers assosiciation are just a bunch of fans that are journalists. I wouldn’t be surprised if a large number of people of HF are much more aware and educated on what’s happening around the entire league then writers who focus only on things that pander to their audience.
But the writers are from all over the league. Writers that I’m sure are biased for their home team…just like most of HF. A group of writers that hate the leafs and their attention…just like a lot of HF.

So why do people think these writers are biased in favor of the Leafs instead of just accepting that Matthews is seen as a good defensive forward that also score a shitload of goals?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
But the writers are from all over the league. Writers that I’m sure are biased for their home team…just like most of HF. A group of writers that hate the leafs and their attention…just like a lot of HF.

So why do people think these writers are biased in favor of the Leafs instead of just accepting that Matthews is seen as a good defensive forward that also score a shitload of goals?
He averages less then a minute a game on the PK. He was something like the Leafs 8th most used forward on the PK, something you would think would weigh in pretty heavily for a defensive specific award. How many goals he scores is irrelevant. He’s a goalscorer that gets used in a predominantly offensive situations. He shouldn’t be a Selke finalist. As for voter bias, there’s always been a bit of east coast bias with the writers. Especially when it comes to teams that get a lot of attention like Montreal and Toronto.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019

Just to be clear, they are voting for a player, not the team. Matthews is the most likable player in the league, and writers want access.

Also, he got two first place votes. Literally 2 writers thought he was the best defensive forward in the league. The rest used their throwaway votes on him.

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Just to be clear, they are voting for a player, not the team. Matthews is the most likable player in the league, and writers want access.

Also, he got two first place votes. Literally 2 writers thought he was the best defensive forward in the league. The rest used their throwaway votes on him.
Uh, what? Not in this reality we all live in.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Uh, what? Not in this reality we all live in.
Probably cause you’re in your sportsnet/HF hive mind bubble. In the real world you see Matthews jerseys everywhere Matthews sets jersey sale record

He’s American, plays for a high profile team, and pops up on every YT/Tik Tok channel frat/sports related. Easily one of the most popular and well liked players in the game today, if not the most.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Probably cause you’re in your sportsnet/HF hive mind bubble. In the real world you see Matthews jerseys everywhere Matthews sets jersey sale record

He’s American, plays for a high profile team, and pops up on every YT/Tik Tok channel frat/sports related. Easily one of the most popular and well liked players in the game today, if not the most.
Nice do you anything more recent than the month of October 8 years ago, right after he was drafted. PK Subban was 8th in your post.

Reactions: Shocker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad