Recalled/Assigned: 2023-24 Colorado Eagles and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The AHL calls it their first round. Whether or not you agree doesn't change the fact that it is the first round of the AHL playoffs. Which the Eagles have advanced on from in 2 of the 3 seasons they have had this playoff setup.

The 2021 was a pretty stupid format, they did still advance. If you outright eliminate that, then there have been 4 playoffs during the years that Colorado has been in the AHL. They have been in the 2nd round or beyond, by the AHL definition, 2 times and won 3 series. This is by far the most success the Avs have had with an AHL franchise since the Hershey Bears days.
To be fair, I hated the play-in round for the NHL and would actively hate that becoming a part of the routine. It absolutely negates the value of having an 82 game season if you can't still tell can't tell who is in or out of the playoffs when it is completed.

Reactions: Avsrule2022

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
To be fair, I hated the play-in round for the NHL and would actively hate that becoming a part of the routine. It absolutely negates the value of having an 82 game season if you can't still tell can't tell who is in or out of the playoffs when it is completed.
At some point they’re going to expand the postseason somehow. I can’t stand the way MLB and the NBA do play-ins, I could almost stomach a three-game preliminary series. Better that than a one-gamer or worse, a fifth round.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Sure… there are plenty of valid opinions on what should be done. I’m simply saying, the first round as labeled, is the first round. The Eagles have won a couple of those, and a second round. Saying they don’t get out of the first round is just inaccurate. Can’t move the goal posts from what the format is and is labeled by the league.

As soon as Bettman is out, the NHL is expanding too. He’s the hold up. I always think people forget the NHL went to a 16 team playoff when the league was at 21 teams. We’re at the lowest percentage of the league making the playoffs in nearly 50 years.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Sure… there are plenty of valid opinions on what should be done. I’m simply saying, the first round as labeled, is the first round. The Eagles have won a couple of those, and a second round. Saying they don’t get out of the first round is just inaccurate. Can’t move the goal posts from what the format is and is labeled by the league.

As soon as Bettman is out, the NHL is expanding too. He’s the hold up. I always think people forget the NHL went to a 16 team playoff when the league was at 21 teams. We’re at the lowest percentage of the league making the playoffs in nearly 50 years.
I completely get that and I know expansion of the playoffs is inevitable. I just want them to add another round instead of adopting a different format.

Also, it amazes me that we play 82 games and can only eliminate half of the field. Making the playoffs should be more special than just being in the top 50%. I've got no idea what percentage of a league should make the playoffs, but it's got to be higher than 50% and probably lower than 70-75% (financially speaking I could forgive as many as 60%, but 50% that's got nothing to do with quality of teams, that's about guaranteeing half the owners playoff revenue. Period.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I completely get that and I know expansion of the playoffs is inevitable. I just want them to add another round instead of adopting a different format.

Also, it amazes me that we play 82 games and can only eliminate half of the field. Making the playoffs should be more special than just being in the top 50%. I've got no idea what percentage of a league should make the playoffs, but it's got to be higher than 50% and probably lower than 70-75% (financially speaking I could forgive as many as 60%, but 50% that's got nothing to do with quality of teams, that's about guaranteeing half the owners playoff revenue. Period.
Revenue is the whole name of the game in all of it.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I hear ya, I’m not even disagreeing with you, first round is the first round, I only wouldn’t *count* it if it were a one game play-in. But even a best-of-three is still a series.

I’m just getting ready for an expansion at some point, even though this last season of all years made a very strong argument against it. :laugh:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Does the average hockey fan intimately know that the AHL playoffs are in fact five “rounds” if you want to call it that? No. Most people do not understand the AHL playoff formatting that each division makes up their own rules for how many teams make it and how they advance. It cannot be compared to the typical format that NHL fans are familiar with.

The whole point was to describe what type of team the Eagles are. If we want to argue just for arguments sake over semantics then we can call it many different things. The second round in a five round format, is that better? The round which is still four steps away from a championship? The round which is not a best of 3 play in? It’s all the same thing. That’s the step the Eagles are constructed to achieve. That was the entirety of the point, it has not changed. It’s fine, it’s competitive, which is better than it used to be but that’s what they are.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
I'll put it this way: the way the Eagles are built, they will most likely never make it out of the divisional round. Which sucks, because before the AHL they were built to win championships every year

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I go to his place here in Nebraska from time to time.

2018.09.27_scheels-11.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
My Grandkids love the ferris wheel at the Scheels here in Colorado Springs 🙂
Yeah, we got one of those here too, but we've never been on it. We love the insanely large fish tank they built into the columns when you first walk in the door. The creepy-ass animatronic presidents, not so much.

Reactions: LTCPain75

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I would love to have a Scheels in Alaska. First time I heard of them was last year when the chubby electron dude made a youtube video that was sponsored by them. Looked it up online and was absolutely blown away. We just can't get many nice things up here. We've had Duluth Trading Company, Cabela's, and Menards that I know of look into opening a store but ultimately they just could be convinced that Fairbanks or even Anchorage for that matter could ultimately generate enough business to make it financially worth it. Their profit margins wouldn't be high enough, which I can ultimately respect at the end of the day. The only two big chains we've attracted were Home Depot and Lowes. Hell, we only got the Lowes because the owners of the Home Depot got divorced and she took her winnings and built a Lowes right across the street from her ex's Home Depot. :laugh: I guess hell really does have no fury like a woman scorned.

• Haha
Reactions: niwotsblessing

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I would love to have a Scheels in Alaska. First time I heard of them was last year when the chubby electron dude made a youtube video that was sponsored by them. Looked it up online and was absolutely blown away. We just can't get many nice things up here. We've had Duluth Trading Company, Cabela's, and Menards that I know of look into opening a store but ultimately they just could be convinced that Fairbanks or even Anchorage for that matter could ultimately generate enough business to make it financially worth it. Their profit margins wouldn't be high enough, which I can ultimately respect at the end of the day. The only two big chains we've attracted were Home Depot and Lowes. Hell, we only got the Lowes because the owners of the Home Depot got divorced and she took her winnings and built a Lowes right across the street from her ex's Home Depot. :laugh: I guess hell really does have no fury like a woman scorned.

You'll never need another store ever again.

AvsFan4

Jul 18, 2024
The Elliotte Friedman of the AHL, Tony Androckitis, has announced some signings the Eagles apparently made. They haven’t announced them yet, but based on other things he’s done I can’t imagine he’s wrong. Nothing Earth shattering, but the players are;

- F Tye Felhaber
- F Keaton Mastrodonato
- D Bryan Yoon
- G Adam Scheel (looks like already posted here)

Those are the only ones I can find. He also had liquid hot Megna but that was announced by Eagles.

Players on AHL deals that signed towards end of last year;

- F Chad Hillebrand
- D Garrett Pyke
- G Jake Barczewski

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad