B-Sens 2023-24 Belleville Senators

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I thought I heard on the 32 Thoughts podcast that Staios might want his old pal Jay McKee coaching Belleville next season, which would leave David Bell looking for a new team...

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Lassi Thomson, Jacob Larsson leave Belleville and probably Dillon Heatherington to go overseas.

Reactions: aragorn

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Lassi Thomson, Jacob Larsson leave Belleville and probably Dillon Heatherington to go overseas.
Seeing a bit of an exodus of Veteran D out of Belleville.
Under pro contract for 24-25 is Kleven, Sebrango, Donovan, Hamara & Toure.

Guenette & Matinpalo are both RFA's.
Kleven has a decent shot at being in Ottawa, Toure probably would need to start in the ECHL.

I would think that they would re-sign Guenette. Not sure about Matinpalo?
That potentially leaves Sebrango, Donovan, Hamara & Guenette for B-Sens D next season.

Drafted players in the mix are Nordberg, Wallberg, Andonovski & Stanley.
Wallberg & Stanley just finished their first year of NCAA. They are likely not coming yet.
Nordberg had a fairly ho-hum season in the USHL and Andonovski probably stays another year in Kitchener (OHL).

Looks like they are going to need to bring in 2 or 3 veteran D for Belleville next year.

Reactions: DrEasy and Icelevel

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Seeing a bit of an exodus of Veteran D out of Belleville.
Under pro contract for 24-25 is Kleven, Sebrango, Donovan, Hamara & Toure.

Guenette & Matinpalo are both RFA's.
Kleven has a decent shot at being in Ottawa, Toure probably would need to start in the ECHL.

I would think that they would re-sign Guenette. Not sure about Matinpalo?
That potentially leaves Sebrango, Donovan, Hamara & Guenette for B-Sens D next season.

Drafted players in the mix are Nordberg, Wallberg, Andonovski & Stanley.
Wallberg & Stanley just finished their first year of NCAA. They are likely not coming yet.
Nordberg had a fairly ho-hum season in the USHL and Andonovski probably stays another year in Kitchener (OHL).

Looks like they are going to need to bring in 2 or 3 veteran D for Belleville next year.
Why would they not re-sign Mantipalo? I see that as a no brainer.

Reactions: DrEasy

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
In thinking about it a bit more Hamara and Donovan might well need time in the ECHL as well.
It is a big jump from the CHL to AHL.

That leaves just Sebrango, Guenette and potentially Matinpalo.
I would assume they will bring to bring back Dillon Heatherington as a veteran leader on the team.
They are still going to need to sign at least 2 more D for the season.
I would assume that they will want to have a strong team in Belleville after getting a taste of the AHL playoffs this year. Someone like Andlauer would know that having a strong foundation of winning starts with your AHL team.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Nice little article on Donovan in the Athletic with the bulk of the info coming from his current GM and coach.

Apparently he’s a coaches dream, a massive presence on and off the ice, committed to playing a defensive first game, is a thick 6’2” with pro level training and eating habits. Has been a target for Saginaw since the start of last season, apparently trading Minty to Ottawa for a bunch of picks was to have the trade capital to trade for Donovan, pretty interesting.

Bell loved him as well.

There is no chance he plays in the ECHL, he is straight to Belleville if this is how he is described by his current coach and GM.

Reactions: Icelevel

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Nice little article on Donovan in the Athletic with the bulk of the info coming from his current GM and coach.

Apparently he’s a coaches dream, a massive presence on and off the ice, committed to playing a defensive first game, is a thick 6’2” with pro level training and eating habits. Has been a target for Saginaw since the start of last season, apparently trading Minty to Ottawa for a bunch of picks was to have the trade capital to trade for Donovan, pretty interesting.

Bell loved him as well.

There is no chance he plays in the ECHL, he is straight to Belleville if this is how he is described by his current coach and GM.
And he's another left shot D, those mentioning what happens if Chabot gets hurt, well they will have Kleven in Ottawea & Donovan in Belleville, they have LD depth & I expect they should have a vet at LD next season in Belleville as they have done in the past. It's RD that needs to be improved right now.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
And he's another left shot D, those mentioning what happens if Chabot gets hurt, well they will have Kleven in Ottawea & Donovan in Belleville, they have LD depth & I expect they should have a vet at LD next season in Belleville as they have done in the past. It's RD that needs to be improved right now.
The draft does not improve anything right away. We will sign 1 or 2 RD this year and perspective will change.

Reactions: Icelevel

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The draft does not improve anything right away. We will sign 1 or 2 RD this year and perspective will change.
Agreed, signing a UFA RD is a priority, but at some point the RD ages out or leaves & having a RD with top 4 potential in their org is also important, the draft is about the future & they need a RD for their future & RDs are valuable.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Donovan is now one of our best prospects so hopefully he doesn't need ECHL time lol

1- Kleven
2- Halliday
3- Järventie
4- Sogaard
5- Ostapchuk
6- Donovan
7- Crookshank
8- Andonovski
9- Guénette
10- Meriläinen
11- Pettersson
12- Reidler

Then Sokolov and the rest

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode

Bell loved him as well.

Not sure why there is such resistance to players starting in the ECHL.
It's a huge jump from CHL/NCAA/USHL to the AHL. ECHL is a good competitive league.

It can benefit a young player to making the transition to the pro game by starting in the ECHL and then graduating to the AHL, when they are ready. Tons of players have gone this route.
It's a stepping stone in their development.

Maybe Donovan is fine adapting to the AHL right off the bat. That would be great.
Certainly, no harm in him starting in the ECHL.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Donovan is now one of our best prospects so hopefully he doesn't need ECHL time lol

1- Kleven
2- Halliday
3- Järventie
4- Sogaard
5- Ostapchuk
6- Donovan
7- Crookshank
8- Andonovski
9- Guénette
10- Meriläinen
11- Pettersson
12- Reidler

Then Sokolov and the rest
Don't you dare push Sokolov off to the side. Aragorn has him in Ottawa next year. Lol.

Reactions: Xspyrit

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
It's a huge jump from CHL/NCAA/USHL to the AHL. ECHL is a good competitive league.

It can benefit a young player to making the transition to the pro game by starting in the ECHL and then graduating to the AHL, when they are ready. Tons of players have gone this route.

Maybe Donovan is fine adapting to the AHL right off the bat. That would be great.
I think we see more players going to ECHL, but it does seem more for goalies with an NHL future.

Maybe there is a stigma about going to the ECHL. If a prospect goes there first, he isn't on the NHL development path.

I thunk it should be used more. Gain confidence, take 1 more step and then transition to the AH.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

I meant more that he’s already played in the AHL and the coach loved him. Then his current coach and GM waxed on about his pro stature, pro training, and maturing game.

Then looking at the BSens roster and it certainly sounds like he would be a guy that would slid right over to the AHL team. If he struggles I imagine they would send him down.

Wasn’t meaning to diss the ECHL.

Reactions: Good in Osgoode

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Why 1 year? If he breaks out then the sens gotta pay big. But if you had signed him for 2 or 3 years, and he doesn't break out, he's still a good ahler or serviceable bottom 6 guy. Seems like a lose lose contract for the sens.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Why 1 year? If he breaks out then the sens gotta pay big. But if you had signed him for 2 or 3 years, and he doesn't break out, he's still a good ahler or serviceable bottom 6 guy. Seems like a lose lose contract for the sens.
How would he break out? He has close to zero chance of playing in the NHL this season.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Our bottom 6 is very shallow, he's not that far down the depth chart, and injuries strike often, especially with the Sens.
Yes, it would be helpful to get a haul of good prospects from this upcoming draft. Would like to see them add another pick or two with a couple of trades, they are always excting on draft day.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Whatever.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I could see Crookshank developing into a decent 4th line pest that can chip in the odd goal.

He's talented enough to play. I just wonder if he'll be good enough defensively.

Wonder if the team has spoken to him about how short he likes his stick. He's already small but it looks like he's playing with a glorified mini stick out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad