Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
While he doesn't have game breaking speed, a cannon of a shot, or imposing size, I see Thrun as somebody who will be capable of slowing the game down with their decision making. Giving him a couple years to figure things out isn't the end of the world with this roster. And if we do so, I genuinely believe we'll have a complimentary second pairing defenseman, or somebody capable of leading the third pairing.
He slows it down in that whenever he's on the ice it feels like i'm watching the team get caved for 6 hours.

Reactions: ThePlanet

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Looking back to the 2021 draft, knowing the Sharks current roster, would it have been better to select Guenther or Eklund? Also what does Eklund’s next contract look like?
In hindsight, I think Clarke would have been the best pick. But I was equally happy with Clarke, Guenther, or Eklund at the time. They were my 4-6 ranked guys in that draft.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
In hindsight, I think Clarke would have been the best pick. But I was equally happy with Clarke, Guenther, or Eklund at the time. They were my 4-6 ranked guys in that draft.
Clarke was clearly the right pick. I really like Eklund but I never would have drafted him 7OA. Draft picks that high are best spent on centers and defenseman with very few exceptions. Good wingers are always available.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Clarke has played 31 NHL games. Guenther has played 84. Eklund 102. It’s far too early confirm any of these guys were the right pick in hindsight…we don’t have enough hindsight yet. Eklund is doing well.
Eklund is absolutely doing great and I adore him and I'm thrilled to have him. I just mean that given our lack of talented RHD, Clarke would fill a huge organizational need compared to Eklund.

Reactions: CHALUPA

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
No…intensity?

Personally, I think we got a win with him. He’s doing so much that we needed at this point.
Not mutually exclusive things :)

Watch a shift of Brandon Hagel play and then watch a shift of Walman. Walman may do everything right, and he has been good for us no doubt, but his play looks lackadaisical. Labanc was similar too, even in his best years here.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Not mutually exclusive things :)

Watch a shift of Brandon Hagel play and then watch a shift of Walman. Walman may do everything right, and he has been good for us no doubt, but his play looks lackadaisical. Labanc was similar too, even in his best years here.
I get it but I don’t equate it to great play.
I watched Igor Larionov play, no intensity in him but simple brilliance. Vlasic has never been excitable out there but rose to be one of the best defense man in the league.

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I have never been one to praise Eklund but I absolutely love his play this year. Much better 5v5 game now and is not just a transition scorer, and he's so willing to hit this season (I think Zetterlund has rubbed off on him).

I have watched Clarke twice this year and he reminds me of a bigger Cagnoni. Everything he does is quick, shifty, lots of dangerous pucks to the net. I'm definitely intrigued by him. I haven't watched enough to make the judgment over Eklund.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I have never been one to praise Eklund but I absolutely love his play this year. Much better 5v5 game now and is not just a transition scorer, and he's so willing to hit this season (I think Zetterlund has rubbed off on him).

I have watched Clarke twice this year and he reminds me of a bigger Cagnoni. Everything he does is quick, shifty, lots of dangerous pucks to the net. I'm definitely intrigued by him. I haven't watched enough to make the judgment over Eklund.
Cagnoni >>> Clarke.

Don't @ me. :sarcasm:

Well, in height Clarke >>> Cagnoni.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad