Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
So Sharks fans have some interested in Girard and would be willing to do something around Georgiev for Blackwood? Seems like a trade could be made here depending on what Sharks fans view of Girard is. I personally think he’s a solid second pair defenseman and wouldn’t view him as a negative value player (although not substantially positive either).

Girard+Georgiev for Blackwood+ ‘x’ seems like a reasonable starting point.
I think given the situation on our left side as others have pointed out, and the cap hits of both your players, I now think it would have to be Girard + georgiev + X for Blackwood, and the X might be a pick on both sides but the better pick is going to SJ. or if we are sending a LD back, okay, but then the pick/differential to SJ probably needs to be bigger. Girard isn't necessarily a target, I forgot he isn't RD. We're all hoping Mukh develops into a middle pair two way D and we aren't so desperate as to need even a minor upgrade unless it benefits us in other ways.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The cap space is a prorated 1 mil and change. That isn't going to be worth a 1st. It's worth a 2nd. My problem is that we don't really open a roster spot for Askarov doing this deal and a 2nd from Colorado isn't some premium asset. I'd probably prefer to rent Blackwood somewhere for a 3rd that isn't going to ask us to take a goalie back if it's out there.
I mean let’s be honest, who cares about Georgiev or even Vanecek? If we end up saying okay Askarov is ready! We waive one or we see if there’s another trade out there for one. Who cares?

Would the Sharks be interested in a player like Girard?
As a huge fan of Girard, not in the slightest unless he’s coming as a pure cap dump and that makes no sense for COL.

Let me clarify here a bit cause I feel like this is going to bite me in the butt quickly. Girard is a great player and likely a second pair(ish) dman in the same way Walman is a second pair(ish) dman. Issue is he’s a lefty which is where our only two young NHL ready dmen (Mukhammadullin and Thrun) play also he’s small and not great defensively. Yes he has played his off side but not really successfully from what I remember. Basically all this said he’s a good player but just not what we need at this moment.

Reactions: coooldude

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I think given the situation on our left side as others have pointed out, and the cap hits of both your players, I now think it would have to be Girard + georgiev + X for Blackwood, and the X might be a pick on both sides but the better pick is going to SJ. or if we are sending a LD back, okay, but then the pick/differential to SJ probably needs to be bigger. Girard isn't necessarily a target, I forgot he isn't RD. We're all hoping Mukh develops into a middle pair two way D and we aren't so desperate as to need even a minor upgrade unless it benefits us in other ways.

Totally makes sense, I’m definitely not opposed to adding picks and if the Sharks have any 1 year defensively responsible players they want to send over I’m sure the Avs would be happy to balance some of the cap :naughty:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd be on board with moving Ferraro in a Girard deal, but I'd also want something else coming back in return that isn't a worse goalie than Blackwood or a bottom 6 forward. We don't need more of either of those things. Ideally, I'd like to bring back more defensemen than we give up in a Blackwood trade, but I don't know how many teams out there that would consider Blackwood an upgrade. Probably would end up being a pick if it was a deal with Colorado.
I would be too but I don't know if Colorado would. I don't know what reason the Avs would have to move Girard while also bringing in Ferraro. Doesn't make any sense to me.
I mean let’s be honest, who cares about Georgiev or even Vanecek? If we end up saying okay Askarov is ready! We waive one or we see if there’s another trade out there for one. Who cares?
Nobody does but I'd at least like to try and flip Georgiev if we're made to take him on and the only way we're doing that is if Colorado is willing to retain.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Totally makes sense, I’m definitely not opposed to adding picks and if the Sharks have any 1 year defensively responsible players they want to send over I’m sure the Avs would be happy to balance some of the cap :naughty:
If we had any responsible defensive defensemen, we'd be playing them ourselves.

Now, if you'd like any defensive responsible bottom 6 forwards on a one year deal, let me introduce you to our Luke Kunin collection...

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I would be too but I don't know if Colorado would. I don't know what reason the Avs would have to move Girard while also bringing in Ferraro. Doesn't make any sense to me.
Does Colorado have another LHD they'd like to bring up from the AHL to replace Girard if they move him for a goalie? If not, they'd probably want a LHD coming back similar to how Edmonton took Emberson back in the Ceci deal. But if a defenseman and goalie is going to Colorado, then obviously we need something else to sweeten the deal to make it worth our while.

I'm hungry to do any deal that upgrades the right side of our defense, but I'm also open to upgrading Ferraro and Thrun.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
If we had any responsible defensive defensemen, we'd be playing them ourselves.

Now, if you'd like any defensive responsible bottom 6 forwards on a one year deal, let me introduce you to our Luke Kunin collection...

Yeah I’m thinking forwards, of the fourth line variety

Does Colorado have another LHD they'd like to bring up from the AHL to replace Girard if they move him for a goalie? If not, they'd probably want a LHD coming back similar to how Edmonton took Emberson back in the Ceci deal. But if a defenseman and goalie is going to Colorado, then obviously we need something else to sweeten the deal to make it worth our while.

I'm hungry to do any deal that upgrades the right side of our defense, but I'm also open to upgrading Ferraro and Thrun.

Right now they have Toews, Girard, Kylington, DeHaan and Ludvig as LHD so been with moving Girard out the Avs would still have a decent pool of LHD albeit a definite drop off.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Colorado has five lefties on defense currently but I don't think any of the ones below Girard are really equipped to replace him if he gets moved so I suspect that Girard isn't really available.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
So Sharks fans have some interested in Girard and would be willing to do something around Georgiev for Blackwood? Seems like a trade could be made here depending on what Sharks fans view of Girard is. I personally think he’s a solid second pair defenseman and wouldn’t view him as a negative value player (although not substantially positive either).

Girard+Georgiev for Blackwood+ ‘x’ seems like a reasonable starting point.
Would the Avs have any use for Rutta? I'd do Blackwood+Rutta for Georgiev+Girard.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Colorado has five lefties on defense currently but I don't think any of the ones below Girard are really equipped to replace him if he gets moved so I suspect that Girard isn't really available.

The hope is that Kylington gets to a similar level to Girard. It’s a larger risk, but I think he has the skill to pay it off.

Would the Avs have any use for Rutta? I'd do Blackwood+Rutta for Georgiev+Girard.

Don’t know enough about where Rutta is now, how has he been so far.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The hope is that Kylington gets to a similar level to Girard. It’s a larger risk, but I think he has the skill to pay it off.
Is that really something they'd consider given Kylington's career thus far? I don't see that as a risk worth taking if you're Colorado looking to compete.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Is that really something they'd consider given Kylington's career thus far? I don't see that as a risk worth taking if you're Colorado looking to compete.

I think they have the assets to address those concerns if/when it comes down to that. It’s definitely a risk, but could be worth it.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Don’t know enough about where Rutta is now, how has he been so far.
He's good for an undisciplined penalty and WTF turnover per game but could be a solid defensive third pair D for you guys. Obviously had tons of playoff experience and 2 rings with Tampa.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
He's so cooked I can't imagine any NHL team having use for him (other than the Sharks, lol) as anything other than a highly-paid front office intern or developmental coach.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
He's so cooked I can't imagine any NHL team having use for him (other than the Sharks, lol) as anything other than a highly-paid front office intern or developmental coach.

I think he’d be very competent as a 3rd pairing guy on a good team, not a 2nd pairing guy on a terrible team trying to play above his head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad