Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
This is so true. It would benefit them to wait till Wednesday to put a guy like Kostin or G Smith on waivers after other teams have finalized their rosters. I’m sure we will hear news today that Gushchin and others are assigned to the Cuda camp but that still doesn’t prevent them from waiving players Wednesday or calling up injury replacements.
But what if I want them to be claimed?

• Haha
Reactions: Cas and timorous me

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
He should be on PP1 when he’s healthy tbh.
I wouldn’t hate that either.

For sure, but I think he'll have to beat out Thrun, who looks to have taken a step forward in the offseason and was at one point I think our PP1 QB last year in March/April (yikes!)

I think that depends on what his purpose is. Celebrini is clearly running PP1 from the top of the right circle, Walman is a triggerman, Zetts and Toffoli are net front and low for scoring /shooting opportunities, Granlund on the other wing. Is Shakir taking out Walman, and if so does he have the shot for it?
Shakir has a fantastic shot.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Second PP basically as dangerous as last year's first, esp. after the trade deadline 🙃.

Eklund on PP2 is a minor surprise but I guess Celebrini takes his spot on the right half wall, Zetterlund and Toffoli are better net front/down low on either side, and Granlund is better on the left side. Smith to Gush or Ek on PP2 should be pretty interesting.

Yeah, it’s kind of weird that we have enough talent for two good PP lines, genuinely forgot what that was like.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
To be seen in the NHL. I hope it translates.
We'll see how Walman does, but my guess is that Mukhamadullin might be a better fit (or just a five forward PP) because his shot seems to be more varied than Walman's bombs; Shak has a really keen sense of getting the puck on net in ways that lead to tips and trouble, and I'm sure he'll be able to do the same at the NHL level with a little experience.

Reactions: NiWa

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I don't think the league is ready for how good Macklin is going to be right off the bat. Whether it's due to Bedard fatigue or Team Canada underperforming at the WJC or whatever else, I feel like he's been one of the least hyped 1OAs in recent memory. Fans and media are not prepared for how NHL ready his game is, the fact he does some Jack Hughes-lite stuff carrying the puck and the way his one-timer from the right flank is going to make him one of the most lethal power play threats in the league immediately. Not to mention the kind of legit defensive IQ that's unheard of for an 18 year old rookie.

Completely agree. I also don’t think he’s going to take much time (or any time?) to get used to the pro leagues. He’ll certainly grow and get better as the season goes on, but I think he’s going to be an impact player right away. Watching him play the last couple of months and it’s clear that his skill, hockey brain and motor are completely off the charts, I absolutely can’t wait to see what he can do across a full season.

Honestly, having Celebrini, Smith, Gushchin and Muhk (soon, I imagine) on the team is going to be so fun to watch.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Seriously, Macklin Celebrini is on a different level than any teenager we have ever seen play for the San Jose Sharks. Not only is he going to be really good already, but I honestly feel like he'll have the MacKinnon/McDavid trajectory where he somehow keeps getting better every single year through his prime. He's so dialed in and detailed, he won't pass up any opportunity for improvement.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Seriously, Macklin Celebrini is on a different level than any teenager we have ever seen play for the San Jose Sharks. Not only is he going to be really good already, but I honestly feel like he'll have the MacKinnon/McDavid trajectory where he somehow keeps getting better every single year through his prime. He's so dialed in and detailed, he won't pass up any opportunity for improvement.
I remember Marleau as a rookie and Macklin is much better than Patty was at this stage of his career.

Reactions: coooldude

Sharksfan66

Nov 4, 2021
You had an inflated view of him in the first place, as someone who watches most Edmonton games, where Bear first came into the league and started getting some notoriety, I can assure you he has always been dogshit.

He is like a more offensively minded Ferraro, in the sense that they both look like they are putting in 110% effort, skating hard, lots of stuff happening while they are on the ice, but at the end of the day nothing good actually comes from any of that effort and random action taken by either player.

At the end of the day we are talking about a 27 year old, offensively oriented defenseman, that has played on a team with McDrai, and has a career high of 21 points, and a total of 67 points through 275 games, and a -14. I have no idea why we or any team would have any interest in a guy like that unless you desperately need a warm body to take up a spot on the roster.
That says it all right there. I'm with you on Ferraro (I always wonder why media folks seem so high on him) and I can see where I've been taken in in very limited viewings of Bear myself.

Thanks!

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
So it sounds like they're not even gonna bother sending him to the AHL.

Interesting.
I actually read non-roster injury is that he would be sent down but is injured and therefore stays up collecting NHL pay. He will most assuredly be sent down to get some games in with the Cuda before playing for the Sharks.

Reactions: TheBeard

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Gushchin with his offensive skill has a very high ceiling. He has always been unlikely to hit given his size concerns but if he does hit then it would be a big boost to the rebuild.

Reactions: Bartcal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad