Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Good problem to have.
Obviously, but Matty Beniers getting a $50M contract with 100 career points feels insane to me. Like I totally get it from Seattle's perspective, you have to lock your 1C down as soon as you can, that's not the player to nickel and dime, it just feels crazy to get that much money with effectively one good season to your name.

Reactions: Sandisfan

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
*3 years later*

JW: "So, should I print a couple copies of our 8 x 8 full NMC template? It literally works every time "
GMMG: *sigh*

Reactions: ThePlanet

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Obviously, but Matty Beniers getting a $50M contract with 100 career points feels insane to me. Like I totally get it from Seattle's perspective, you have to lock your 1C down as soon as you can, that's not the player to nickel and dime, it just feels crazy to get that much money with effectively one good season to your name.
Unfortunately that risk on a long term contract coming off the ELC is the meta for team building right now

Sometimes it sucks, but sometimes you get Jack Hughes for $8M long term, if Celebrini doesn't have an otherworldly first 2 seasons and we can lock him up to like $9.75M per for 8 years you do it ASAP, it's just way better to take the risk on an early overpayment than to regret it once he does break out and he makes like $12M+

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Unfortunately that risk on a long term contract coming off the ELC is the meta for team building right now

Sometimes it sucks, but sometimes you get Jack Hughes for $8M long term, if Celebrini doesn't have an otherworldly first 2 seasons and we can lock him up to like $9.75M per for 8 years you do it ASAP, it's just way better to take the risk on an early overpayment than to regret it once he does break out and he makes like $12M+

Pretty much this. Don’t know how it’ll play out but in 23 months id like to see a macklin 8 year extension at whatever it takes. There’s a chance that’s $9M, but I’d budget $10M. Paying Macklin won’t be a problem, but it will be interesting to see what Bedard, Carlsson, and Fantilli get before him. Bedard will set the new market for franchise players coming off their ELC.

Having a 21-29 year old Celebrini making $9-11M will actually give a decent amount of surplus value for the later 2/3rds or so of the contract.

Shark in Hockeytown

Jul 18, 2021
Things completely unraveled post cup final appearance faster than any franchise I've ever seen. .... Maybe it was all smoke and mirrors, but the core was definitely at a place where they were competing.

Montreal in 21 was a marginal playoff team that got lucky in the playoffs. They came back against the Leafs from 3-1 down in games. They went 6-1 in OT games in the playoffs that year, which is luck. They were outscored in regulation 52-45 in the four series. Yes, much of that was Tampa dismantling them in the finals, but they also swept the Jets in the second round. Because the playoffs are very random, it is not unusual for a marginal playoff team to make the final. But they almost never win.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Are there any RFAs remaining to look at that would only cost a 2nd rounder?

Core Perfetti would be a nice pickup, but as a recent 10th overall who's got two years of ~top 6ish production (when healthy), can't imagine $4.5M would scare them off. The Jets have $6M in cap space I believe. I feel like all it would do is piss them off.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Core Perfetti would be a nice pickup, but as a recent 10th overall who's got two years of ~top 6ish production (when healthy), can't imagine $4.5M would scare them off. The Jets have $6M in cap space I believe. I feel like all it would do is piss them off.
I don’t get why these GMs are so concerned about pissing off other teams. If the Jets match then who cares. You then forced another team to pay more than they wanted to for a player.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Thomas Harley as well, but the Stars have cap space to match and he's a left handed D anyways, which we have too many of. Nice young player though.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Thomas Harley as well, but the Stars have cap space to match and he's a left handed D anyways, which we have too many of. Nice young player though.
We'd either offer him in the 4.5-7 range and it would cost a first and a third or we offer him less and Dallas thanks us profusely.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Are there any RFAs remaining to look at that would only cost a 2nd rounder?
It is still difficult to find a suitable offer sheet candidate. You would need to find a player who is worth the compensation with a team that doesn’t have the cap space to match.

Looking at current RFA’s Perfetti might be worth the 2nd but Winnipeg has the space to match. The best RFA’s on teams that don’t have cap space to match are Robertson and Tomasino but are either of those players worth a 2nd round pick.

Next year the best target is Askarov if he isn’t traded, since I doubt Nashville would want to pay their backup $4.5 million. He would absolutely be worth a 2nd.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
They don't value him as a top 6 though. They would match but not be happy about it.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
It is still difficult to find a suitable offer sheet candidate. You would need to find a player who is worth the compensation with a team that doesn’t have the cap space to match.

Looking at current RFA’s Perfetti might be worth the 2nd but Winnipeg has the space to match. The best RFA’s on teams that don’t have cap space to match are Robertson and Tomasino but are either of those players worth a 2nd round pick.

Next year the best target is Askarov if he isn’t traded, since I doubt Nashville would want to pay their backup $4.5 million. He would absolutely be worth a 2nd.
See, this is where I can see Grier wanting to weaponize cap space. Build good will with enough GMs and screw over the others.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Does offer sheeting really ruin relationship? Didn't STL-Edm complete a trade the next day?

Yes. I think ruining relationships is overblown. I do think GM's "remember" and will seek revenge through offer sheets at another time. That seems to be the extent of it.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Bigger issue is that Perfetti wouldn't sign a deal for $4.5M. If he would, then WPG likely already sign him. To offersheet someone, you have to vastly overpay for 1 year with hopes that it's so much more than the current team is offering that it's worth the drama. STL paid Broberg and Holloway double what they were asking from Edmonton in order to get them to sign. Carolina did something similar with Kotkaniemi to lure him from Montreal.

If a guy already has production over a full season or more, it's insanely hard to offersheet them without getting into the 1st round pick or more range.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad