Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I’ve been thinking about it and I want to put some love on Smith. Kid came in and looked great at the scrimmage, he’s got confidence, he’s bulked up and added weight — I actually kind of think he’s going to adjust to the NHL (at least as a scorer) faster than Macklin.

I do wonder if Hodge is actually right and Smith gets put on the 2nd line wing. Obviously, camp performances will be a big deciding factor but he feels like he’s come in with some real swagger.

Musty has too, actually, and I wonder what they’re going to do if he’s fantastic at camp. Sign him? Go with 3 rookies? I doubt it but… he’s got something.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I’ve been thinking about it and I want to put some love on Smith. Kid came in and looked great at the scrimmage, he’s got confidence, he’s bulked up and added weight — I actually kind of think he’s going to adjust to the NHL (at least as a scorer) faster than Macklin.

I do wonder if Hodge is actually right and Smith gets put on the 2nd line wing. Obviously, camp performances will be a big deciding factor but he feels like he’s come in with some real swagger.

Musty has too, actually, and I wonder what they’re going to do if he’s fantastic at camp. Sign him? Go with 3 rookies? I doubt it but… he’s got something.
Musty’s signed already. At the risk of once again upsetting the Klim Kostin fan club, I think he’s obviously the guy you waive or mutually terminate if Musty grabs a top 9 LW spot out of camp.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Musty’s signed already. At the risk of once again upsetting the Klim Kostin fan club, I think he’s obviously the guy you waive or mutually terminate if Musty grabs a top 9 LW spot out of camp.

You know what I mean, earns a spot.

And yeah, I agree it’s likely Kostin. Unless he comes in on a mission too.

It’ll be an interesting camp just because there’s legit competition and Warsofsky does seem like a guy that genuinely will play talent over age/experience.

I only wish we had a real defense.

Reactions: Hodge

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015

It’ll be an interesting camp just because there’s legit competition and Warsofsky does seem like a guy that genuinely will play talent over age/experience.

I think Musty needs to clearly beat out Zetterlund and earn a top 6 spot to make the team. If he does that would be exciting.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

If Celebrini is pencilled in as a top line C then to me it would be best to at least start Smith at wing but let him finish the season at 2C.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Weird question, but looking at how Josh Norris is looking like a bad contract, and how we ended up with Dickinson and Granlund (through some moves), did we ultimately win the EK65 trade with Ottawa? I know Stutzle is a stud, but he's certainly not helping Ottawa and seemed to take a slight step back last year.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024

I'm disappointed that all we've done on the defensive side so far is the Walman trade. Maybe there's just no clear obvious upgrades to be had at RD in free agency and we don't have a lot of trade bullets, but it felt like we closed the door on free agency too soon.

Maybe there will be another opportunity once teams start finalizing their rosters after camp.

Reactions: Jargon

Patty Ice

Mighty Luca
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I may be putting the cart before the horse, put with the strong depth of forward prospects, would you be willing to trade off Eklund for a top notch goaltending prospect?

To Nashville:
William Eklund
Henry Thrun
Mattias Hävelid

To San Jose:
Yaroslav Askarov
Philip Tomasino
Dante Fabbro
Ryan Ufko

Askavrov is obviously the prize here. Tomasino a downgrade from Eklund but is a speedy playmaker in a similar vein. Ufko is a strong RHD that can come in sooner rather than later as opposed to Hävelid. He's undersized but can handle himself against bigger opponents and has high IQ. Hobey Baker finalist over Smith 😁. Fabbro there for at least short term talent and some cap relief for the Preds. If he turns the corner all the better.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I may be putting the cart before the horse, put with the strong depth of forward prospects, would you be willing to trade off Eklund for a top notch goaltending prospect?

To Nashville:
William Eklund
Henry Thrun
Mattias Hävelid

To San Jose:
Yaroslav Askarov
Philip Tomasino
Dante Fabbro
Ryan Ufko

Askavrov is obviously the prize here. Tomasino a downgrade from Eklund but is a speedy playmaker in a similar vein. Ufko is a strong RHD that can come in sooner rather than later as opposed to Hävelid. He's undersized but can handle himself against bigger opponents and has high IQ. Hobey Baker finalist over Smith 😁. Fabbro there for at least short term talent and some cap relief for the Preds. If he turns the corner all the better.
No. I’d rather do something around the Vegas pick.

Reactions: TealManV

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

To Nashville:
William Eklund
Henry Thrun
Mattias Hävelid

To San Jose:
Yaroslav Askarov
Philip Tomasino
Dante Fabbro
Ryan Ufko

After the Saros extension and the comments made by Askarov’s agent, Nashville doesn’t have as much leverage..Certainly not enough to get Eklund back in a trade. I’d be good centering a trade around Bystedt ++ but the 1sts, Eklund, and essentially our top 5 prospects (Celebrini, Smith, Dickinson, Musty, Muhk) are non starters imo. If that’s a no-go for Nashville then that’s fine.

OversKy

Oct 12, 2023
Weird question, but looking at how Josh Norris is looking like a bad contract, and how we ended up with Dickinson and Granlund (through some moves), did we ultimately win the EK65 trade with Ottawa? I know Stutzle is a stud, but he's certainly not helping Ottawa and seemed to take a slight step back last year.
No Stutzle is good Ottawa is just a perennially bad team. EK65 was the beginning of the fall and a desperate DW move when Tavares fell through. Redundant and I wonder if we used the cap more efficiently who else we could've picked up or traded for.

Reactions: weastern bias

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
No but it will be very funny if we make it back to the playoffs before the Sens do.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
After the Saros extension and the comments made by Askarov’s agent, Nashville doesn’t have as much leverage..Certainly not enough to get Eklund back in a trade. I’d be good centering a trade around Bystedt ++ but the 1sts, Eklund, and essentially our top 5 prospects (Celebrini, Smith, Dickinson, Musty, Muhk) are non starters imo. If that’s a no-go for Nashville then that’s fine.
Also, Askarov has very real true bust potential still. So trading a guy who is a for sure thing NHLer for potential seems like a good way to implode the rebuild, even if you think Askarov has a higher ceiling. (I question if that is even true though, because the value of a goalie is clearly pretty limited in the current NHL.)

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Without knowing a ton about Wario's philosophy I'd take a conservative approach to projecting lines:

Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund
Kostin-Celebrini-Toffoli
Dellandrea-Wennberg-Smith
Goodrow-Sturm-Kunin

Bordeleau
Grundstrom
Graf
G. Smith
Bailey

Ferraro-Benning
Walman-Emberson
Vlasic-Rutta

Thrun
Mukhamadullin

Blackwood
Vanecek

The 1st line probably gets the privilege of getting caved in by top competition on a nightly basis while the middle six serves as twin second lines who flip-flop deployment based on who has the hot hand

Smith gets Wennberg to take the pressure off the center responsibilities until he is ready to handle them full time, it would be Couture were he healthy but I can't bank on that being the case

Maybe they show Eklund mercy and they put a placeholder on the shit shoveling line like Kostin and we go full That 70s Line with Mack, I wouldn't hate it

The defense is ROUGH, which is why we probably still finish in dead last, it's just hopefully a much more respectable last place, lol

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
They said that about Hertl for years while still playing him on the wing. I fully expect Couture to be back this year. I kind of feel like he just didn’t want to be part of such an epically bad season.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Basically every really good top 6 center we've developed has spent time on the wing

Marleau
Pavelski
Hertl

Couture is the notable exception, and expect Celebrini to follow suit, but just because management publicly stated they want to develop Smith as a center doesn't mean he'll play the position full time as teenager, it's likely to be a long form project and hopefully he's ready to go full time by the end of the season

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Also, Askarov has very real true bust potential still. So trading a guy who is a for sure thing NHLer for potential seems like a good way to implode the rebuild, even if you think Askarov has a higher ceiling. (I question if that is even true though, because the value of a goalie is clearly pretty limited in the current NHL.)

I think I only want Askarov if we are bending over Trotz with quantity over quality. Otherwise we're much better off continuing to build this team and if we get to the point that we're a cup contender but for the goalie, we can figure something out. Like a trade or UFA signing or something.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I think I only want Askarov if we are bending over Trotz with quantity over quality. Otherwise we're much better off continuing to build this team and if we get to the point that we're a cup contender but for the goalie, we can figure something out. Like a trade or UFA signing or something.
Yeah it would need to be something absurdly in our favor like Bordeleau, Chrona and the 2025 2nd.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
No but it will be very funny if we make it back to the playoffs before the Sens do.
If sens don’t make it this year they’re gonna do a complete tear down.

No Stutzle is good Ottawa is just a perennially bad team. EK65 was the beginning of the fall and a desperate DW move when Tavares fell through. Redundant and I wonder if we used the cap more efficiently who else we could've picked up or traded for.
My worry is we go for a similarly aging playing like Gaudreau.

I’m in the boat where if we can get askarov for the Vegas first I’d do that in a heartbeat. Another mid to late first prospect isn’t gonna do much for us

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
If sens don’t make it this year they’re gonna do a complete tear down.

My worry is we go for a similarly aging playing like Gaudreau.

I’m in the boat where if we can get askarov for the Vegas first I’d do that in a heartbeat. Another mid to late first prospect isn’t gonna do much for us
I would love Brady Tkachuk next summer to add on Will Smith's wing in the Leonard role. The Sharks have a nice war chest to use to get him if possible

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad