Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Playing Smith with Wennberg or Kostin would be malpractice. Our top six forwards should be Celebrini, Smith, Eklund, Toffoli, Granlund and Zetterlund full stop. It doesn't really matter who's playing center and who's playing wing.
Kostin scored 10pts in 19, same scoring pace as Eklund. He's a big body, not slow, plays hard, has a shot. Could be a Leonard type on Smith's line, or with Celebrini. I wouldn't sell him so short, I think he deserves a shot on 2/3 line. Wennberg is more of your D zone start center, but we'll see how it all shakes out.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Kostin scored 10pts in 19, same scoring pace as Eklund. He's a big body, not slow, plays hard, has a shot. Could be a Leonard type on Smith's line, or with Celebrini. I wouldn't sell him so short, I think he deserves a shot on 2/3 line. Wennberg is more of your D zone start center, but we'll see how it all shakes out.
We go through this every year with some scrub lighting up meaningless games at the end of a lost season. I remember everyone penciling Jacob Peterson into their lineups this time last summer after he put up 8 points in 11 games. Smith needs to be on a line with established NHL talent.

If we're trying to recreate the BC line I think Zetterlund is a much closer approximation to Leonard and Eklund/Granlund can play the Perreault role.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I think some are just plugging him down the lines because he’s big. He was a first round pick and showed he can be a top line player here.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I think some are just plugging him down the lines because he’s big. He was a first round pick and showed he can be a top line player here.
Top line player on the Barracuda maybe. 4 points in 33 games with Detroit.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I think the Sharks have two clear sets of players with a wild card in between.

Offensive (top 6)
Celebrini, Smith, Eklund, Zetterlund, Granlund, Toffoli

Wild Card (who knows if he even plays)
Couture

Offensively Deficient (bottom 6)
Everyone else on 1 way deals.

I think the lines should be:
Eklund - Celebrini - Toffoli
Granlund - Smith - Zetterlund
Kostin - Wennberg - Dellandrea
Goodrow - Sturm - Kunin

I think the top 6 is mostly set with maybe switching Eklund and Zetterlund if they are struggling. The bottom 6 is completely interchangeable. If Couture is healthy I would have him as LW on the 3rd line with Wennberg and only move him to the top 6 if he shows he is back completely.

Deploy the lines not in the traditional sense. Throw both bottom lines to the wolves giving them the hardest matchups and 75% D zone draws. This would shelter the kids and allow them to succeed even if the team loses hockey games.

Now for the first 9 games I would love them to just go full YOLO and run:
Chernyshov - Celebrini - Halttunen
Musty - Smith - Eklund
Zetterlund - Granlund - Toffoli
Couture - Wennberg - Dellandrea

Roll all 4 lines evenly sheltering the Celebrini and Smith lines. I would also love Dickinson to get those 9 games. Watch them go 7-2 and then we have insane depth and a roller coaster all season.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay

Your point is taken. Kostin hasn’t establish a proven top 6 track record, we get it. You’ve got your perspective on how the lines should be deployed others have their perspective. That being said I think we should give Celebrini the Sid treatment and just throw whatever wingers we have laying around on his line. If he’s as good as they say he is I predict only positive outcomes:

Goodrow - Celebrini - Kunin
Kostin - Wennberg - Smith
Eklund - Granlund - Zetterlund
Delandrea - Sturm - Toffoli

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Your point is taken. Kostin hasn’t establish a proven top 6 track record, we get it. You’ve got your perspective on how the lines should be deployed others have their perspective. That being said I think we should give Celebrini the Sid treatment and just throw whatever wingers we have laying around on his line. If he’s as good as they say he is I predict only positive outcomes:

Goodrow - Celebrini - Kunin
Kostin - Wennberg - Smith
Eklund - Granlund - Zetterlund
Delandrea - Sturm - Toffoli
Line combos are fluid but if the plan is to give Smith third line minutes with bottom six forwards he should have just stayed in college. Fortunately I don't think that's what Warsofsky has in mind unless Smith seriously struggles out of the gate.

Unlike normal prospects, Celebrini and Smith should have to prove they don't belong in a featured offensive role (top six, PP1, etc.) rather than the other way around. Especially on this team.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Line combos are fluid but if the plan is to give Smith third line minutes with bottom six forwards he should have just stayed in college. Fortunately I don't think that's what Warsofsky has in mind unless Smith seriously struggles out of the gate.

Unlike normal prospects, Celebrini and Smith should have to prove they don't belong in a featured offensive role (top six, PP1, etc.) rather than the other way around. Especially on this team.

Eh. I think you’re being plenty rigid with your approach. I think there are lineups that can make sense with CeleSmith in middle 6 roles.

And honestly, unless Grier has a trade or two up his sleeve, or Warsofsky has an innovative defensive system that works for this corps, it doesn’t really matter which line has Smith or Celebrini ‘cause they’re all just gonna be playing 40 minutes in their own end.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Playing Smith with Wennberg or Kostin would be malpractice. Our top six forwards should be Celebrini, Smith, Eklund, Toffoli, Granlund and Zetterlund full stop. It doesn't really matter who's playing center and who's playing wing.
That's fine. Then I would go with Zetterlund-Smith-Granlund and Eklund-Celebrini-Toffoli. That gives Smith a playmaking winger who can also help with center duties as needed in Granlund + a F1 in Zetterlund who can score goals. Celebrini gets a scorer in Toffoli and a 2-way playmaking winger in Eklund. Then I would just have 2 checking lines since we're stacking the top-6 and do Grundstrom-Wennberg-Dellandrea and Goodrow-Sturm-Kunin.

Reactions: bullslugg

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
We go through this every year with some scrub lighting up meaningless games at the end of a lost season. I remember everyone penciling Jacob Peterson into their lineups this time last summer after he put up 8 points in 11 games. Smith needs to be on a line with established NHL talent.

If we're trying to recreate the BC line I think Zetterlund is a much closer approximation to Leonard and Eklund/Granlund can play the Perreault role.
If we're going to recreate the BC line, let's dream bigger. Toffoli is Leonard but actually has been in the NHL for years scoring 20-30 goals. The Perreault role could be Eklund, or Smith.

We do go through this every year with some scrub lighting up meaningless games at the end of a lost season. For example, Eklund. Could still be a scrub. But that's where we are. We don't have very established NHLers to put on Celebrini's LW. Kostin could plug in.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
If we're going to recreate the BC line, let's dream bigger. Toffoli is Leonard but actually has been in the NHL for years scoring 20-30 goals. The Perreault role could be Eklund, or Smith.

We do go through this every year with some scrub lighting up meaningless games at the end of a lost season. For example, Eklund. Could still be a scrub. But that's where we are. We don't have very established NHLers to put on Celebrini's LW. Kostin could plug in.
Comparing Eklund to Kostin is absurd. One is a 21 year old who has produced at an incredibly high rate for his age at every level. The other is a 25 year old career 4th liner who shot 24% for a few weeks.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Acquired by Detroit for future considerations. Probably why they were so eager to get future considerations from us for Walman cause they gave them up for Kostin and Kailer Yamamoto.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Comparing Eklund to Kostin is absurd. One is a 21 year old who has produced at an incredibly high rate for his age at every level. The other is a 25 year old career 4th liner who shot 24% for a few weeks.
I'm not gonna get dragged into one of your shit fights over stupid details. I like your posts and thoughts when they stay out of these kinds of back and forths. Obviously Eklund is a better prospect and player but he's also not an established player.

Some feedback is for you to try to give the same kind of grace to other posters that many of us try to give to you rather than getting bogged down in trying to win every detail of every discussion. When you say something wrong or egregious, I just ignore it. I don't try to correct everything I disagree with. I weigh in where I think there's something interesting to discuss.

Kostin may be traded or cut or sent thru waivers, I don't much care, I just happen to think he's going to get a shot in the middle 6 and I think it's dumb to pretend you or I know exactly what's going to happen when the season starts and we are still a bottom 5 team in year 2 of a long rebuild, injuries pile up, etc etc. Take it or leave it, I'm not likely to respond to any more of this back and forth.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024

It is a conundrum. If you want to keep the Granlund line intact, you have to either play Smith on the third line with players not skilled enough to get the best out of him or play two rookies together on the second line.

Personally, I don't give a damn about the Granlund line because he's not the future of this team. Have Celebrini center your first line, Smith the second, and put some combination of Granlund, Toffoli, Eklund, and Zetterlund on their wings. Live with the growing pains. These two are going to be centering our top two lines for a long time and there's no time like the present to start developing them as such. Trade Granlund at the deadline and bring something back under team control. Ideally IMO a prospect who's ready for AHL/NHL time that can help out either your two young centers or your defense.

Reactions: Patty Ice and Hodge

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It is a conundrum. If you want to keep the Granlund line intact, you have to either play Smith on the third line with players not skilled enough to get the best out of him or play two rookies together on the second line.

Personally, I don't give a damn about the Granlund line because he's not the future of this team. Have Celebrini center your first line, Smith the second, and put some combination of Granlund, Toffoli, Eklund, and Zetterlund on their wings. Live with the growing pains. These two are going to be centering our top two lines for a long time and there's no time like the present to start developing them as such. Trade Granlund at the deadline and bring something back under team control. Ideally IMO a prospect who's ready for AHL/NHL time that can help out either your two young centers or your defense.
Completely agree, although I'm fine with extending Granlund on a 1 or 2 year deal if he wants to stick around.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I agree with what you say about the experts and difficulty to understand. Let's not say maybe, it's simply, actually, the wrong word to use. It's flat out wrong to use a word that has a mystical connotation. That's why no one should defend the use of the word. The people who say it should do better with their use of language, period, so as to avoid using a word with a mystical connotation here.
Then how do you explain this if not magic?

:naughty:

• Haha
Reactions: ChompChomp

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Love the forwards for next year, goalies at least have experience but the defence needs a serious.... serious look before we let Celebrini and Smith hit the NHL ice.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
I think the Sharks have two clear sets of players with a wild card in between.

Offensive (top 6)
Celebrini, Smith, Eklund, Zetterlund, Granlund, Toffoli

Wild Card (who knows if he even plays)
Couture

Offensively Deficient (bottom 6)
Everyone else on 1 way deals.

I think the lines should be:
Eklund - Celebrini - Toffoli
Granlund - Smith - Zetterlund
Kostin - Wennberg - Dellandrea
Goodrow - Sturm - Kunin

I think the top 6 is mostly set with maybe switching Eklund and Zetterlund if they are struggling. The bottom 6 is completely interchangeable. If Couture is healthy I would have him as LW on the 3rd line with Wennberg and only move him to the top 6 if he shows he is back completely.

Deploy the lines not in the traditional sense. Throw both bottom lines to the wolves giving them the hardest matchups and 75% D zone draws. This would shelter the kids and allow them to succeed even if the team loses hockey games.

Now for the first 9 games I would love them to just go full YOLO and run:
Chernyshov - Celebrini - Halttunen
Musty - Smith - Eklund
Zetterlund - Granlund - Toffoli
Couture - Wennberg - Dellandrea

Roll all 4 lines evenly sheltering the Celebrini and Smith lines. I would also love Dickinson to get those 9 games. Watch them go 7-2 and then we have insane depth and a roller coaster all season.
I like this. I have been one of the biggest critics of the Goodrow signing but one thing I will say is he took like all the defensive zone starts on the rangers, deployed as a pure defensive line. I hope we plan to use him the same with our 4th line and stack offensive starts (the few we get lol) for the kids

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad