Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Basically I think Grier only makes a trade here if he sees it as getting really good value for a young player with scoring upside. We're in the position of strength, odd as it may feel to say that.

I'd say the appeal, too, is that with Celebrini accelerating our timeline a little bit, it wouldn't hurt to bring in someone who's a little farther along in their development curve compared to guys being drafted (and not at the top of the draft) this year.

Plus getting a potential scoring winger before Friday night would help solidify Grier's perspective with 14--less of a need for Eiserman, that is.
Good point.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
I definitely wouldn’t be interested in that, but that’s what I imagine the deal would be like if it went down.
I know Todd Marchant was a little down on Musty in his recent interview with Sheng and Keegan, but I still have high hopes for him.

Personally, I’d much rather move someone like Edstrom in this case.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I know Todd Marchant was a little down on Musty in his recent interview with Sheng and Keegan, but I still have high hopes for him.

Personally, I’d much rather move someone like Edstrom in this case.
I can’t lie, Marchant’s bit about Musty was really shocking to me. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see him traded.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I can’t lie, Marchant’s bit about Musty was really shocking to me. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see him traded.
I still maintain you're all making far too much out of what was pretty fair constructive criticism. Actually listen to the positive things he said about him instead of focusing on the few areas of improvement that were discussed.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
I was caught off guard, too. I thought Musty had a solid season, so it was disappointing to know that’s how they were/are view him.

I still maintain you're all making far too much out of what was pretty fair constructive criticism. Actually listen to the positive things he said about him instead of focusing on the few areas of improvement that were discussed.

Lots of good, positive stuff for sure. But I'm with Jux on this one. Something didn’t sit right. Maybe tone of voice. Who knows.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I was caught off guard, too. I thought Musty had a solid season, so it was disappointing to know that’s how they were/are view him.

Lots of good, positive stuff for sure. But I'm with Jux on this one. Something didn’t sit right. Maybe tone of voice. Who knows.
He's got great puck skills, he's got great vision, and obviously he's got a very good shot. We were very happy with where he started the season to where he finished.
I'd rather work on those things with players than have to try to get them to work on other things because he has something that you really can't teach and that's the ability to produce offense. He sees the game well and we're really looking forward to seeing how he looks this summer in development camp.
Very few players are dialed in from Day One - those are the elite of the elite players in the National Hockey League. Every other player has something that they need to work on.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Walman has never run a PP but has a bomb of a shot and moves the puck decently well. I don't think he's the guy Grier referenced when talking about adding a puck mover that can run a PP. So that leaves the question of who is that guy?

Walker has also never run a PP either (the only UFA D-Man we've been linked with interest in). With that in mind, main options that I can think of to come run our PP would be signing Barrie and letting him rack up points on the PP while not being good at ES or dealing for Liljegren as Toronto is looking to clear cap and upgrade its defense in a way more in line with Berube style (big and physical rather than puck moving/offensive).

AFP has Liljegren pegged around $4M AAV and anywhere from 1 year to 4 years for term. Can’t see any way Toronto is going to sign him to that, so what would fair value for him be? Have wanted him for years so he’d be my preferred option over Barrie.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010

Yeah, everything here seemed quite reasonable. Lots of positive thoughts. It feels like all the scoring is just so obviously a positive, there's only so much to be said about it--and I do feel like Marchand's biggest issue is with Sudbury. Feels like he wants Musty out of that system because they're not helping guys become more than one-dimensional players.

Marchand also pointed out Musty's new summer training regimen. Seems like exactly what the Sharks want out of a prospect, and it proves he's hopefully willing to put in the work (though that also needs to come on the ice, outside of the offensive zone, but that could be tough with Sudbury).

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

I listened to the podcast after your original comments specifically to hear him talk about Musty.

To me, it came off like he likes Musty and just thinks he needs another year. It almost felt like Musty has been telling them he’s ready and Marchand wants him to prove it.

I also think there’s something to be said of Musty being the first player they asked about and Marchand was still getting comfortable in the interview and kinda talked too long about him (so it sounded like a longer, more critical rant when I think actually he didn’t say much other than — he’s really talented but has to work on some stuff).

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I listened to the podcast after your original comments specifically to hear him talk about Musty.

To me, it came off like he likes Musty and just thinks he needs another year. It almost felt like Musty has been telling them he’s ready and Marchand wants him to prove it.

I also think there’s something to be said of Musty being the first player they asked about and Marchand was still getting comfortable in the interview and kinda talked too long about him (so it sounded like a longer, more critical rant when I think actually he didn’t say much other than — he’s really talented but has to work on some stuff).
To add to this, I thought it sounded like they have such high expectations for him that they want him to push more (and don't look Sudbury's system.) this felt not like a negative read but like a dad who knows his son has such high potential and can do better.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
To add to this, I thought it sounded like they have such high expectations for him that they want him to push more (and don't look Sudbury's system.) this felt not like a negative read but like a dad who knows his son has such high potential and can do better.

Yeah, agreed. My issue is that like.. okay they don’t like Sudbury’s system, so how is Musty supposed to grow in it? I really hope Musty comes into training camp dialed in and gives them no choice but to put him into the lineup. I doubt it, but I worry Sudbury does nothing for him.

Reactions: landshark

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Guy who writes for Winnipeg in the athletic says the Sharks, Blue Jackets and Senators are teams with interest.

If thats true I just hope we dont overpay. Hold onto Musty and pick 14 please

Last edited:
Reactions: vortexy

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Yeah, agreed. My issue is that like.. okay they don’t like Sudbury’s system, so how is Musty supposed to grow in it? I really hope Musty comes into training camp dialed in and gives them no choice but to put him into the lineup. I doubt it, but I worry Sudbury does nothing for him.
This is why Ryan Warsofsky is the HC. For guys like Musty to better develop directly under him (and his staff) than back in juniors for his D+2 year. Seems like if Musty has at least a good camp (although not necessarily a great camp), he should just stay in SJ to work under our developmental HC. This IS like he's in the AHL, if he's playing under Warzy. But better since I don't trust our AHL HC.

Hopefully that's what Grier is thinking too.

Last edited:

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
This is why Ryan Warsofsky is the HC. For guys like Musty to better develop directly under him (and his staff) than back in juniors for his D+2 year. Seems like if Musty has at least a good camp (although not necessarily a great camp), he should just stay in SJ to work under our developmental HC. This IS like he's in the AHL, if he's playing under Warzy. But better since I don't trust our AHL HC.

Hopefully that's what Grier is thinking too.
What kind of organization hires a developmental coach for the big club, but has a minor league club with a reputation for not being able to develop young players? Maybe it's just the quality of players we've drafted over the years, but if the coach isn't good enough, that needs to be fixed yesterday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad