Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Sounds like Gibson is on the verge of being dealt so I don't think I'd go that far. Awards show tomorrow night so have to get work done at some point before Friday afternoon. Too many deals to be made to wait just for the meeting today.
Where are you seeing that? I’m only seeing it from Pagnotta who is Eklund 2.0

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Hear me out here. Lots of smoke about the Sabers buying out Skinner (LS just posted a tweet alluding to that above).

The Skinner contract is really tough. Really tough. We all (hopefully) know that. That being said, if I was Grier, I’d be hitting up Buffalo.

Skinner ($9m/3 years) has a full NMC so he might not waive for SJ given his playoff drought, but my understanding is that most players try to avoid getting bought out.

If Skinner waived, give him a year to see what he can do on Macklin’s wing. He’s one year removed from 35 goals and 82 points.

If Skinner is underwhelming again, Grier can buy him out next summer. At that point, the buyout shouldn’t have much impact for when the Sharks will need it for competing again. (Attached Skinner buyout info for next summer, 2025)

I wouldn’t be mad at a deal like this:

Skinner
11th overall
Kulich

for

Rutta
Knyzhov
G. Smith

IMG_3650.jpeg

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Hear me out here. Lots of smoke about the Sabers buying out Skinner (LS just posted a tweet alluding to that above).

The Skinner contract is really tough. Really tough. We all (hopefully) know that. That being said, if I was Grier, I’d be hitting up Buffalo.

Skinner ($9m/3 years) has a full NMC so he might not waive for SJ given his playoff drought, but my understanding is that most players try to avoid getting bought out.

If Skinner waived, give him a year to see what he can do on Macklin’s wing. He’s one year removed from 35 goals and 82 points.

If Skinner is underwhelming again, Grier can buy him out next summer. At that point, the buyout shouldn’t have much impact for when the Sharks will need it for competing again. (Attached Skinner buyout info for next summer, 2025)

Skinner
11th overall
Kulich

for

Rutta
Knyzhov
G. Smith

View attachment 887584
We just got rid of a bunch of players that have no B game. We don’t need to add another that’s massively overpaid.

Reactions: Star Platinum

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015

Skinner
11th overall
Kulich

for

Rutta
Knyzhov
G. Smith

View attachment 887584
Given the Sharks cap situation I would rather just ride the contract out to have a clean cap sheet when Celebrini and Smith need extensions. I doubt they need the cap space when those two are on their ELC’s and only Eklund needing a raise before they expire.

I would take on that contract for 11th overall.

Reactions: TealManV

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Given the Sharks cap situation I would rather just ride the contract out to have a clean cap sheet when Celebrini and Smith need extensions. I doubt they need the cap space when those two are on their ELC’s and only Eklund needing a raise before they expire.

I would take on that contract for 11th overall.
Yeah, in this scenario that would be the best outcome. Skinner comes in and is a 30 goal scorer and meshes well in the locker room. No need to buyout.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Skinner also isn’t exactly known as some great leader in the room. Don’t need that type of player around our young guys.
Lol come on, you take Skinner to get the 11th overall pick and Kulich without hesitation.

The real issue is there's no chance in hell he would waive his NMC for the Sharks.

Reactions: Baysick

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
The real issue is there's no chance in hell he would waive his NMC for the Sharks.
That would be an issue which I mentioned in my original post. But getting bought out costs Skinner over $7m. And typically most players and agents try to avoid being bought out.

So the options in this hypothetical situation would be,
A.) Get bought out, lose $7m+ and look like a loser

OR

B.) Get traded to California to play with the 1st overall pick while looking like less of a loser while still getting paid

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
That would be an issue which I mentioned in my original post. But getting bought out costs Skinner over $7m. And typically most players and agents try to avoid being bought out.

OR

B.) Get traded to California to play with the 1st overall pick while looking like less of a loser while still getting paid
But if he's bought out he could easily turn around and sign a contract for way more than $7 million. So he would actually make more money that way.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

OR

He's going to take the buyout 10/10 times and go somewhere that he wants and hope to recoup that money by signing for $2.5M a year for the next 3 years (or more - which is the likely case).

Skinner will likely make more money being bought out and re-signed than he would just getting his regular contract.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
I would agree that Skinner is not looking to go to another rebuilding team since he has not played single playoff game in his career. I would think he would take a discount after being bought out and play for a contender.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
But if he's bought out he could easily turn around and sign a contract for way more than $7 million. So he would actually make more money that way.

He's going to take the buyout 10/10 times and go somewhere that he wants and hope to recoup that money by signing for $2.5M a year for the next 3 years (or more - which is the likely case).

Skinner will likely make more money being bought out and re-signed than he would just getting his regular contract.
Solid point. Wishful thinking on my part. 🙃

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I trust Grier and the development staff's determination of whether or not a player has earned his roster spot.

McGroarty is a separate issue. It's not about whether he has earned the spot. It's about whether you're willing to give him one in order to secure the player and I think we should be. We have nothing to lose.
Integrity. Integrity Hodge. That’s what you have to lose..I now realize I was a few pages behind so don’t let my opinion break the current convo.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

OR

He only loses $7m if he never signs another NHL contract. That's not realistic. He'll get a couple million on the open market easily.

He also signed in BUF because he wanted to be close to home and the only 2 places he wanted to go to are TOR and BUF. If he gets bought, going home to play in Toronto for 2m is easily done and much more preferable for him than playing 3000 miles away on a team that isn't going to make the playoffs.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Again, what does "earning their spots" actually mean? Have Celebrini and Smith "earned" their spots?

I actually only care about increasing the Sharks chances of winning a Stanley Cup. Acquiring McGroarty helps accomplish that and if part of the cost paid is to give him a roster spot he doesn't deserve, so be it. If he is truly awful he will be sent down to the AHL anyway.

What “spots” do Celebrini and Smith currently have? One isn’t even a member of the org yet, and the other has a signed ELC and that’s it.

Reactions: Sandisfan

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Jets want a first or 2nd and 3rd for Rutgers. Hmmm.

If true, I'd do 53 + 85 for McG. Or maybe even offer 2025 2nd alone and let them expect that to be akin to a late 1st, but then Grier loads up to contend in 24-25 and that 2nd falls down the draft order. :laugh: (j/k about contention, but open to 2025 2nd as a standalone, which might be the best pick any team would be willing to give up under these circumstances)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad