2023-24 #2: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

volnoir

Nov 13, 2015
Phantoms bring back Marody for two years.

Not sure how I feel about that, on the one hand, he's a proven AHL scoring veteran, on the other hand he's a defensive liability at center. Just too slow of a skater.

Hopefully, he'll move to RW where his defensive struggles will be less of a problem, and if healthy, can help the PP.
Who is this new Dead criticizing a team signing.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
If Drysdale stays the same or gets worse this year then we have a lot more pressure on Briere for passing on Buium.
I'm not liking the chances that a kid that came from a pretty f***ed up development situation and can't stay healthy isn't going to make major strides with an organization that has only developed one impact offensive defenceman in. 20+ years, who they proceeded to run out of town.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Thought this might be an interesting one... Flyers "team draft" over the last 20 years (2004 onwards):

van Riemsdyk-Giroux-Konecny
Farabee-Couturier-Lindblom
Laughton-Frost-Downie
Maroon-Patrick-Cousins
Foerster, NAK

Provorov-Gostisbehere
York-Sanheim
Sbisa-Hagg
Friedman

Hart
Stolarz

So in basically 17 drafts (2004-2020) they drafted:

6x top 6 forwards
4x top 4 Dmen
1x starter

The 7-10th best Dman they drafted over those 17 drafts? Probably Friedman, Bartulis, Bourdon and Attard.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Thought this might be an interesting one... Flyers "team draft" over the last 20 years (2004 onwards):

Laughton-Frost-Downie
Maroon-Patrick-Cousins
Foerster, NAK

Provorov-Gostisbehere
York-Sanheim
Sbisa-Hagg
Friedman

Hart
Stolarz

6x top 6 forwards
4x top 4 Dmen
1x starter

The 7-10th best Dman they drafted over those 17 drafts? Probably Friedman, Bartulis, Bourdon and Attard.
Patrick Sharp?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Gagne was 98.

There's a reason why I always use #12 for my jersey in EASHL.

A always wore #12 in water polo and any other sport I could... I am not 100% sure why but it would make sense it was due to Gagne. But I was like 10 years old when I first started using #12 (had worn #3 and #8 before that)... so not totally sure as dont remember.

Funnily enough when my little brother played sports for our school he had #12 on his jersey too because of me ahaha.

Reactions: SolidSnakeUS

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I used to wear number 7 for Kenny Lofton (my mom was from Cleveland) in baseball.

Then switched to 52 for hockey -- odd number I know. I wore 25 for my birthday, but an older kid had that jersey number in highschool -- so I swapped them.

• Love
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
A always wore #12 in water polo and any other sport I could... I am not 100% sure why but it would make sense it was due to Gagne. But I was like 10 years old when I first started using #12 (had worn #3 and #8 before that)... so not totally sure as dont remember.

Funnily enough when my little brother played sports for our school he had #12 on his jersey too because of me ahaha.

I believe Gagne was the first named jersey I ever had for the Flyers.

Reactions: Appleyard

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim last three seasons, 31, 21, 35 ES points.
Ghost's best seasons, 32, 32, 27.

Now Sanheim isn't well suited to the PP b/c long legs makes it harder for him to maneuver around the blue line. Ideally, your PP QB not only has good vision and passing skills, but is able to move well in a short area and maintain puck possession waiting for a play to develop. At 5x5, his long speed allows him to pressure defenses as a puck carrier.

I think Flyers will be looking at offensive D-men in this draft, though it would be nice if York, Drysdale or Andrae could step up and take the role of PP QB.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018

Laughton-Frost-Downie
Maroon-Patrick-Cousins
Foerster, NAK

Provorov-Gostisbehere
York-Sanheim
Sbisa-Hagg
Friedman

Hart
Stolarz

6x top 6 forwards
4x top 4 Dmen
1x starter

11 solid players in 17 drafts. Praise be that most of the team’s scouts are still here. Gotta continue the new era of mid, I mean orange :laugh:

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Sanheim last three seasons, 31, 21, 35 ES points.
Ghost's best seasons, 32, 32, 27.

Now Sanheim isn't well suited to the PP b/c long legs makes it harder for him to maneuver around the blue line. Ideally, your PP QB not only has good vision and passing skills, but is able to move well in a short area and maintain puck possession waiting for a play to develop. At 5x5, his long speed allows him to pressure defenses as a puck carrier.

I think Flyers will be looking at offensive D-men in this draft, though it would be nice if York, Drysdale or Andrae could step up and take the role of PP QB.
Who very well may be years away. Unfortunate they didn't have a shot at on in the 2024 draft. Any thoughts on the 2nd rd pick from the 24 draft?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It seems the Flyer draft picks who went all had a good showing this summer.
Not that I'd read too much into it, but it does suggest that maybe it wasn't as bad a draft as first advertised.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
It seems the Flyer draft picks who went all had a good showing this summer.
Not that I'd read too much into it, but it does suggest that maybe it wasn't as bad a draft as first advertised.
If they didnt have a "good" showing would you say maybe it was a bad draft as advertised?

Me, I do not put much stock into at all. If they were great I do not get to excited. If they sucked or what not I will not get down. In the big picture doesn't mean much to me at the end of the day.

Now clearly it is better to play well and get noticed than not.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
If they didnt have a "good" showing would you say maybe it was a bad draft as advertised?

Me, I do not put much stock into at all. If they were great I do not get to excited. If they sucked or what not I will not get down. In the big picture doesn't mean much to me at the end of the day.

Now clearly it is better to play well and get noticed than not.
I don’t think summer events are meaningful in terms of updating views on the picks or players, but they are helpful data points. There’s so much uncertainty in every single player, and having “good” events just reduces the error bars, even just marginally, if nothing else. It’s good to know that Jack Berglund, for example, is capable of being a solid presence in this setting.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
International competition is data, but limited.
It does show if your draft picks can hold their own against the best of their peers.
But it's not the same as a full season, then hopefully playoffs in the CHL or SHL.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I don’t think summer events are meaningful in terms of updating views on the picks or players, but they are helpful data points. There’s so much uncertainty in every single player, and having “good” events just reduces the error bars, even just marginally, if nothing else. It’s good to know that Jack Berglund, for example, is capable of being a solid presence in this setting.
flip side is a player could have just had a bad weekend. it happens. just like a player can have a monster weekend.

Reactions: VladDrag
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium