2023-24 #2: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
The scouting consensus was not just how good a player he is and his potential... if ability was the only qualifier he would have gone a fair but higher.

But a lot of teams had the ~#5-12 range pretty closely grouped... if he had a different agent I believe the Flyers would have picked him... but if he had a different agent I believe he would not have made it to #10.

Now, maybe I am wrong. But they are the rumblings...
So based on some things you know, are teams for lack of a better word becoming reluctant to deal with tat agent in terms of the collage players he represents?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I’m not saying I don’t believe it but the agent thing is dumb. Scott Boras used to be a bogeyman in baseball when he took advantage of dumb front offices in baseball. But then the whole league over time moved away from the old guard in front offices & get considerably smarter to know they dictate things not an agent(s).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
McDavid could have been represented by Satan, and he still would have gone #1.

I'm not sure I take the agent thing that seriously, it's not like an agent has a lot of leverage given the rules, Fox was exceptional b/c he wasn't coming out before his junior season, so he just had to give up one year of income.

We simply don't know, Gauthier grew up in Arizona, maybe a couple years in Boston convinced him that the East Coast wasn't where he wanted to end up. Maybe it was the agent.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Literally said “ I was born to be a Flyer” when drafted.

Keep it real deady

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Literally said “ I was born to be a Flyer” when drafted.

Keep it real deady
Players get coached by agents these days and often read from a "script."
Just b/c he said it, doesn't mean he meant it.

And that was before he spent a year in Boston.

We don't know why b/c he has never said anything.

Reactions: Devonator

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
McDavid could have been represented by Satan, and he still would have gone #1.

I'm not sure I take the agent thing that seriously, it's not like an agent has a lot of leverage given the rules, Fox was exceptional b/c he wasn't coming out before his junior season, so he just had to give up one year of income.

We simply don't know, Gauthier grew up in Arizona, maybe a couple years in Boston convinced him that the East Coast wasn't where he wanted to end up. Maybe it was the agent.
or maybe more than likely the Flyers just screwed up.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think this will hurt much worse than passing on Caufield. He's scored a lot of goals, but so have TK, and OT and how many right hand shooting wingers signed to 8 year deals do you need. Two is a stretch, three would be nuts. :laugh:

Past three seasons
Caufield: 77 goals in 195 games
Konency: 80 goals in 215 games
Tippett: 65 goals in 218 games

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Phantoms bring back Marody for two years.

Not sure how I feel about that, on the one hand, he's a proven AHL scoring veteran, on the other hand he's a defensive liability at center. Just too slow of a skater.

Hopefully, he'll move to RW where his defensive struggles will be less of a problem, and if healthy, can help the PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad