NHL 2023-2024 Out of Town: Stanley Cup Playoffs II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Yes and no

It's natural to promote and advertise a Canadian team's successful journey to the Stanley Cup Finals, but every time a Canadian team makes it to the Finals, every damn sports network in the country (local, provincial and national) make such a big deal about it, and are so repetitive, that it tunes me out. Even if I was an Oiler fan, I'd get tired of the constant coverage.

If the Oilers do win the Cup, the coverage will be unbearable....so as much as I hate the panthers, a part of me is hoping they beat the Oilers, just so the constant ball washing and around the clock coverage will stop

all sports talk is repetitive. It’s just a bunch of people contriving drama and “stories” 24:7. Frankly, I’m not sure how anyone can listen to it for more than like 15 minutes at a time.

I’m rooting Oilers not because I hate the panthers (my dirty not so secret is that I sort of like them), but because I still have a soft spot for the 2006 Oilers. I know many of the older folks recall the Oilers dynasty, but my best memory (story? haha) of them is as a very entertaining underdog team.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I hope the Oilers win the Cup, I want the Panthers to have their hearts broken in the final again. As a Canadian, I can take the talking about the Oilers and McDavid, it bothers me a lot less than if it was the Leafs, that I couldn't stomach. It is a bonus that the Leafs fans are beside themselves that the Oilers made the final and, if they win, I will relish the implosion.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I’m rooting for Florida for two reasons:

1. If the oilers win, it will be their sixth Cup, tying them with the Bruins for the fourth most among currently active NHL teams. The Blackhawks moved into a tie with the Bruins in 2015. I don’t want that.

2. Before the playoffs started, I entered a hockey pool and drew Florida out of the hat. I’m guaranteed $100 because they made the final, and I'll win $300 if they win the Cup. Not a bad return on my $20 entry fee. Naturally, I would have happily kissed my $20 goodbye to see the Bruins advance, but I suppose winning $300 (and seeing the Bruins crush Toronto’s dreams again) will have to be good enough this year.

Last edited:

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
I hope the Oilers win the Cup, I want the Panthers to have their hearts broken in the final again. As a Canadian, I can take the talking about the Oilers and McDavid, it bothers me a lot less than if it was the Leafs, that I couldn't stomach. It is a bonus that the Leafs fans are beside themselves that the Oilers made the final and, if they win, I will relish the implosion.
Can't root for a team that has had 27 first overall draft picks, Go Florida

Reactions: GoBs

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I’m rooting for Florida for two reasons:

1. If the oilers win, it will be their sixth Cup, tying them with the Bruins for the fourth most among currently active NHL teams. The Blackhawks moved into a tie with the Bruins in 2015. I don’t want that.

2. Before the playoffs started, I entered a hockey pool and drew Florida out of the hat. I’m guaranteed $100 because they made the final, and I'll win $300 if they win the Cup. Not a bad return on my $20 entry fee. Naturally, I would have happily kissed my $20 goodbye to see the Bruins advance, but I suppose winning $300 (and seeing the Bruins crush Toronto’s dreams again) will have to be good enough this year.

Can't see why that would be bothersome.

Reactions: Kegs and 4ORRBRUIN

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
That would be amazing if true.

McDavid has been the only significant one.

Three years in a row they got Hall, RNH and Yakupov.

Never had any first picks outside of that.

and they only got McDavid because the league felt it had to F with the ping pong ball odds again. Arizona and Buffalo were worse than them that year

Reactions: GoBs

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
League was trying to keep teams from tanking to get the top pick.

It was a good idea.

tanking is a boogeyman, the draft should just be reverse standings like the NFL.

Bad teams are going to trade older good players for draft picks no matter what, that's just smart management. Additionally with a lottery you're just changing what the race to the bottom is for. You aren't deterring any bad team from being bad just because its the lottery instead of a guaranteed draft spot. It also operates under the false notion that all draft classes are created equally. Yay you won the lottery, but it could be a Crosby/McDavid year or it could be a Yakupov/Lafreniere year.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
all sports talk is repetitive. It’s just a bunch of people contriving drama and “stories” 24:7. Frankly, I’m not sure how anyone can listen to it for more than like 15 minutes at a time.

I’m rooting Oilers not because I hate the panthers (my dirty not so secret is that I sort of like them), but because I still have a soft spot for the 2006 Oilers. I know many of the older folks recall the Oilers dynasty, but my best memory (story? haha) of them is as a very entertaining underdog team.
Yeah, I can't watch the sports channels anymore until the Stanley Cup Finals are over, but even our local radio stations are already stuffing the "Canadian team haven't won in 30 years" BS down our throats....so I won't really mind if the panthers beat the Oilers now

I was also cheering for the 2006 Oilers to win because of Samsonov, who was one of my all-time favorite Bruins

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
tanking is a boogeyman, the draft should just be reverse standings like the NFL.

Bad teams are going to trade older good players for draft picks no matter what, that's just smart management. Additionally with a lottery you're just changing what the race to the bottom is for. You aren't deterring any bad team from being bad just because its the lottery instead of a guaranteed draft spot. It also operates under the false notion that all draft classes are created equally. Yay you won the lottery, but it could be a Crosby/McDavid year or it could be a Yakupov/Lafreniere year.

We disagree.

Not sure what the different draft classes has to do with anything. Still better to have the number 1 pick than any other.

Reactions: RoccoF14

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Yeah, I can't watch the sports channels anymore until the Stanley Cup Finals are over, but even our local radio stations are already stuffing the "Canadian team haven't won in 30 years" BS down our throats....so I won't really mind if the panthers beat the Oilers now

I was also cheering for the 2006 Oilers to win because of Samsonov, who was one of my all-time favorite Bruins

Possibly my favorite ever non-Bruins team are those 2006 oilers.

Was also my year of graduation from high school, so there were just a lot of good vibes that summer in general.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
That's a good way to look at it

..but I'm already tired of all the McDavid, and 'no Canadian teams have won for 30 years' talk....(and I find McDavid and Draisaitl to be kind of arrogant lately)

Although I'd love to see one of the Oilers sucker punch Bennett in game 1 (giving him a concussion where he misses a few games.....and getting away with it)

..either way, I wish they both could lose somehow :laugh:

Reactions: caz16

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Any Bruins fan rooting for Florida is out of their damn minds.
Any Bruins fan rooting for Edmonton is out of their damn minds.

In my lifetime, the Bruins have won three Cups. And lost in the Finals seven other times.

2019 - Blues
2013 - Blackhawks
1990 - Oilers
1988 - Oilers
1978 - Canadiens
1977 - Canadiens
1974 - Flyers

I'll be damned if I ever root for one of those teams to win another championship.

Is it just because it's been a few decades? What's next? What's the expiration date on hating the Habs then? I just don't get it, lol.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Any Bruins fan rooting for Edmonton is out of their damn minds.

In my lifetime, the Bruins have won three Cups. And lost in the Finals seven other times.

2019 - Blues
2013 - Blackhawks
1990 - Oilers
1988 - Oilers
1978 - Canadiens
1977 - Canadiens
1974 - Flyers

I'll be damned if I ever root for one of those teams to win another championship.

Is it just because it's been a few decades? What's next? What's the expiration date on hating the Habs then? I just don't get it, lol.
There is none.

No statute of limitations for their crimes.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

I detest expansion in general and the "Sunbelt strategy" implemented by Bettman in particular.

However, give the Devil his due: FLA is a damn good team, and if they win it, I'll applaud.

Unlike Sweeney, Bill Zito knows how to build a playoff roster in today's "pansified" NHL, and perhaps a Cup winner.

I would give my right pinkie toe for a GM like Zito.

That aside, I am rooting for Edmonton. I want a Canadian club to win it all for many reasons, not least putting to rest the shocking, embarrassing and eminently explainable fact that a Canadian team has not won the Stanley Cup since Montreal did so in 1993.

Remember this heartbreaking display?

Wash away those tears, EDM,

GO OIL.

Last edited:
Reactions: caz16

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

I agree. Don't care about tanking, don't see it as any sort of 'crime'. One of my local sports teams is having a bad year and I hope they lose every game through the back half of the season and scoop the best draft picks possible.

Running the draft in straight reverse standings order would be simpler and fairer and it removes the ability of the league to rig the lottery. Which they do, frequently and blatantly. But the NHL won't do it, they much prefer being able to manipulate things.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I agree. Don't care about tanking, don't see it as any sort of 'crime'. One of my local sports teams is having a bad year and I hope they lose every game through the back half of the season and scoop the best draft picks possible.

Running the draft in straight reverse standings order would be simpler and fairer and it removes the ability of the league to rig the lottery. Which they do, frequently and blatantly. But the NHL won't do it, they much prefer being able to manipulate things.

There's also a giant dose of irony with some folks hating on Edmonton for 1st overall picks while spending last season openly rooting for the Patriots to lose for a better pick

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Almost never disagree with you.

But I do on this one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad