Celtics/NBA 2023-2024 NBA Finals - Celtics lead series 3-1 - Game 5 Monday at TD Garden

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'll go as far as to say the death of Bias cost the Celtics 3 rings. They beat LA in 87 and they don't lose to the Bad Boy Pistons with him

Adding Bias would've kept the 80s dynasty going and let them get more miles out of an aging Bird by lessening his minutes.
I had 5 back I’ll say 3 is fine

It’s not even that he titles - I wanted to see them all on the court

How Bird would have used Bias

I rarely spend much thought on it but the second I do I feel acid or queezy feeling in my stomach

Bias death has that type of effect

Then Reggie Lewis

It was insane period as a Boston sports fan

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I'll go as far as to say the death of Bias cost the Celtics 3 rings. They beat LA in 87 and they don't lose to the Bad Boy Pistons with him

Adding Bias would've kept the 80s dynasty going and let them get more miles out of an aging Bird by lessening his minutes.
I agree. The injuries they sustained in 87 wouldn't have been so catastrophic if Bias was playing. Bias coming in would have let Bird rest and once Reggie came in, Bird and McHale could have gracefully bowed out leaving the team in great shape to have some epic battles in the early 90's.

I do remember Len Bias and my dad explaining to a 5 (almost 6) year old me that he had passed away and that's why the Celtics were sad. I started going to games the next year (dad had season tickets) and really got into basketball when a kid from Northeastern was drafted. I was in awe of him. I love Larry Bird but was in awe of Reggie Lewis.

With Reggie, I remember everything about that night vividly. At summer camp the next day our camp councilor let us cry and talk about him because he was one of us. Him going to Northeastern and doing so much for the community meant a lot. My mom taped the funeral so we could watch it when we got home that night. It sounds so dumb now but that is how much Reggie meant to all of us city kids.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
in a way it’s kind of fitting that West died before seeing the Celtics potentially get banner 18. Mr. Laker went out with his team tied at the top. Hell of a life

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I know Jerry West hated it, but Jason Clarke's portrayal of him in Winning Time was the funniest character on TV in the last half-decade. And despite the exagerrated rage, I think it actually humanized him a lot.

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
This doesn't seem to be the kind of injury that's going to get better or more playable on with a few days rest. A little concerning that he might be out the rest of the season. He's a +25 in 44 minutes and the eye test supports that.

(•_•)
<) )╯LUKE
/ \

\(•_•)
( (> KORNET
/ \

(•_•)
<) )> PARTY
/ \
The books are shook, they aren't offering anything on him. I'm not sure i want him playing though, i think they're getting so much value out of having everyone on the floor capable of hitting threes at a good rate. Stick a non shooter out there and Lively becomes more playable for them. Maybe give Kornet a look to see how he does but i think i would prefer them to just shorten the rotation and give Hauser 20+ minutes.

Reactions: CDJ

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I had 5 back I’ll say 3 is fine

It’s not even that he titles - I wanted to see them all on the court

How Bird would have used Bias

I rarely spend much thought on it but the second I do I feel acid or queezy feeling in my stomach

Bias death has that type of effect

Then Reggie Lewis

It was insane period as a Boston sports fan

Just to imagine Bias and Lewis battle with the Pistons and Jordan into the early 90s makes me sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad