Pre-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Habs Rookie Camp & Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
Thank god our prospects have improved to the level that we don't have to waste time worrying about Ylonen level players any more.

Do we know the rosters for the red vs white game today?
Was there cuts? How are they gonna run a single red-white at the Bell centre when up to this point they been running 4 watered down teams? Are they playing all the big names today? Or doing 2 games again?

Reactions: viceroy

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Do we know the rosters for the red vs white game today?

Very curious to see, historically they have the top 4 lines split between the two teams, so interested to see what they currently have pencilled as the lineup.

4. The lineups for Team Red and Team White on Sunday will be announced ahead of puck drop. Keep an eye on this space, or follow the Canadiens on Instagram, Threads, , and Facebook to see how the Habs will face off. In any case, it’s safe to predict a Montreal

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Id say Davidson should be pencilled above Slaf so far, yes. So far. As of now. From what weve seen.

The point is unless hes amazing he better ride the f***ing bus
I think that Davidson projects to be a polyvalent, higher end 4th liner in Montreal, with the ability to fill in higher up in the lineup in case of injuries.

I would definitely not write-off this player who has played every role in Juniors and throughout his amateur career.

Reactions: viceroy

armChairScout

Jun 19, 2023
Wether or not Slafkovsky makes it as a superstar (I think he won't) doesn't change the fact that is was a VERY WEAK draft for the high end. Wright and Cooley (Nemec) will not be in the Crosby/Ovechkin/McDavid discussion either.

I'd agree that Slafkovsky is the most boom or bust of them all. IF he were to develop to his max potential, he'd be the most special player out of them 4.

The both have humongous potential, and humongous weaknesses. Let's see where they go.

If everything went 100% as good as it can, a top 4 of
Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
has the potential to be INSANE.

Or both Hutson and Mailloux might not make it there, and Guhle might be injury prone, and we might be F'ed. We'll see.
I’m not convinced about Hutson. I need to see him play in nhl vs bigger stronger forwards. A small defensemen is a much much harder position then if he were a forward

And by the way , mailloux is built for the playoffs. Offence + hard nose player. Physical who can skate and can make that first pass. He will be our number one playoff player. Like subban.

He also reminds me a bit of Evan Bouchard from oilers.

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Eulonen is a typical bottom sixer without much to offer.

I think he will be a victim of the number of guys. Doubt they waive Armia, Pearson or Gallagher for him, even tho we would all do it.

If he is claimed, which i think he will, we should pretty easily overcome his loss.
That would constitute poor asset management. Something that our franchise seems to have a stranglehold on.

Dumb always loses.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I'm not so sure about Boston. Yes they still have a very strong defense core, and incredible goaltending. But they've lost a lot of offence, that they haven't replaced.
They have Marchand and Pastrnak. Both of them are far better than any of our offensive players.

Every player develops at their own speed. Ylonen drafted in 2018 has played 120 AHL games and 52 NHL games. Last season he did not look out of place skating in the NHL. He is now around 200 pounds and is arguably in the top 5 as best skaters on this team. This is the year he becomes a regular. I promise that if he is waived, he will get snagged up. His time has arrived. 3rd liner with Lehkonen potential.
He doesn’t have Lehkonen potential. He doesn’t work nearly as hard and provides nothing defensively.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
They have Marchand and Pastrnak. Both of them are far better than any of our offensive players.
True, but what else? Their center depth took a huge hit. They also lost 2 top 6 wingers in Bertuzzi and Hall. As I mentioned, their solid D and goaltending will keep them competitive. I just don't see them as being a top team in the division.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Oh! I'm going tomorrow so that makes the lineup today even more exciting to read!!

Unless today's line-up includes Caufield, Suzuki, Dach, Monahan, Slaf, Anderson, Newhook, Guhle, Mailloux, Reinbacher. Then you won't be as excited about tomorrow's line-up. :sarcasm:

Unless you're looking forward to watching Novak, Demin, Dufort, Gignac, Bourque, Stephens, and Galipeau.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You dismissed Lehkonen and now you dismiss Ylonen.
And if they weren’t both Finnish, they wouldn’t be compared. They are nothing alike. Lehkonen proved me wrong by sheer hard work and gelling with top players. Ylonen is nothing like that. He’s just a Finnish Matt D’Agostini.

Reactions: viceroy and MasterD

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

He doesn’t have Lehkonen potential. He doesn’t work nearly as hard and provides nothing defensively.
Lehkonen and Ylonen are two different types of players. While Ylonen will never play with the physical intensity that Lehkonen provides, Ylonen has superior offensive skills, including an A+ shot and elite acceleration with the puck. Successful teams need both types of players. What teams don't need are a group of overpriced and underperforming veterans who eat up almost 15% of their cap space.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Eulonen is a typical bottom sixer without much to offer.

I think he will be a victim of the number of guys. Doubt they waive Armia, Pearson or Gallagher for him, even tho we would all do it.

If he is claimed, which i think he will, we should pretty easily overcome his loss.

If he is claimed, like you say, they will overcome the loss.

However, Ylonen offers you scoring depth, he skates like the wind, and has a wicked shot. And because of that shot, he becomes an option on the PP.

In his NHL career, he's put up 8 goals and 21 pts in 52 games averaging less than 14 minutes a game last year and less than 12 minutes the year before in his short 14 game sample. That's pretty good production from a depth player.

He'll most likely be a middle or bottom 6 player, but I disagree that he doesn't have much to offer.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
If he is claimed, like you say, they will overcome the loss.

However, Ylonen offers you scoring depth, he skates like the wind, and has a wicked shot. And because of that shot, he becomes an option on the PP.

In his NHL career, he's put up 8 goals and 21 pts in 52 games averaging less than 14 minutes a game last year and less than 12 minutes the year before in his short 14 game sample. That's pretty good production from a depth player.

He'll most likely be a middle or bottom 6 player, but I disagree that he doesn't have much to offer.
Well he certainly has things to offer and i would like him to be on the team.

In an ideal world, we wouldnt have Gallagher or Armia in front of him.

Still, players with Ylonen skillset are always available on the trade market for not much, or via free agency without having to overpay.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Is the scrimmage being streamed legally anywhere?

dealing-sneaky.gif

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I need to clarify what I meant regarding the Ylonen/Lehkonen comparison.
1. Both 3rd line potential
2. Lehkonen is more tenacious while Ylonen skates better and has a better shot.
My point for the comparison is that just because Ylonen still hasn't cracked the line up as a regular doesn't mean he can't eventually put up Lehkonen numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad