Pre-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Habs Rookie Camp & Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Savard is not a #1 pair dmen, but neither are the Habs young RDs. The kids aren't ready to play against the top opposition each nights.
Savard is at the end of his career...........these kids are learning the ropes....
I hope there is some movement as to who is where each and every night.
Bottom line is, for years we had big D who had zero idea on how to move the puck, other than bang it off the glass................
Glad to see we are moving towards a few of them, being real PMD men.

I think Habs going to be competitive this year. Challenge for a playoff spot.
Just a notch below.............but better days ahead for sure!!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Habs were ravished with injuries last two years. More than any other team in NHL 100+ year history. They better than most think. Changing doctors and last June trainers, I think will be big help.

Especially losing front line talent for long periods of time. Guys like Dach, Suzuki, Matheson, Monahan, it's impossible to replace them.
We do have to be healthy for any type of positive move in the overall standings...........this is not a team who can lose it's better players, period....for any length of time.
We do not have the depp yet....we do have charakter, and culture!!

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Habs were ravished with injuries last two years. More than any other team in NHL 100+ year history. They better than most think. Changing doctors and last June trainers, I think will be big help.

Especially losing front line talent for long periods of time. Guys like Dach, Suzuki, Matheson, Monahan, it's impossible to replace them.
Yes injuries, I'm sure there will be less, but don't forget that the young kids came up and played out of their minds trying to make a name for themselves. We will be better but we are still young.
You think we will win 10 more games than last year? Even that would keep us out of a spot and don't forget we are in a crazy strong division.

Justin Barron in an interview with Anthony Martineau:

Pourtant, il affirme, quitte à en surprendre plus d’un, être satisfait de son travail, jusqu’ici.

«Globalement, je suis très heureux de ce que je démontre. J’espère maintenant avoir l’occasion de jouer à Ottawa samedi.»

Surprisingly, Barron is claiming that he’s happy about how he’s played so far in the pre-season. He says « overall, I’m very happy about what I’m showing. Hoping to play on Saturday vs. Ottawa. »

On the one hand, what else was he going to say? Maybe he could have chosen to leave that assessment to others?

On the other, well some pundits feel that he’s not putting in enough effort, is not hungry enough for someone who doesn’t want to get demoted to Laval. Is he delusional? Coaches have asked him to be better in his zone and to show more creativity offensively. Martineau states that he has not excelled in either facet. If so, what’s there for him to be so happy about?

I've come to realize that the 'he's not hungry enough' is just his style. I'm almost always feeling that way when I watch him, lots of skill but no tenacity or urgency.

Reactions: jrom and Runner77

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yes injuries, I'm sure there will be less, but don't forget that the young kids came up and played out of their minds trying to make a name for themselves. We will be better but we are still young.
You think we will win 10 more games than last year? Even that would keep us out of a spot and don't forget we are in a crazy strong division.
10 more wins would put us in playoff race. About where I put them. Florida got in last year with 42 wins. If any of the big 4 stumble I think we can get in.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I've come to realize that the 'he's not hungry enough' is just his style. I'm almost always feeling that way when I watch him, lots of skill but no tenacity or urgency.

I never played at a high level, but almost all the skilled guys I played with were like that.

This is why "Karakter" is legit. Knowing and truly understanding how you can impact the game just as much without the puck, and both ways, is a skill in of itself.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He switches off too much when he's on the ice, he gets casual, especially when he has the puck in his own zone.

If he can figure out how to get rid of that bad habit, he can be a solid top 4 D in the near future imo.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Arber played a lot of games in Hamilton on the right side, did Harris played RD in the NCAA?

Yes, I didn't watch him play but he played RD for NE with some regularity (more then Xhekaj did with Hamilton). That said I prefer Harris as LD because of his non-physical / pressure evading playstyle.

Last year when they tried him at RD he did fine but it seemed to me more often forecheckers were able to bog him down in his zone e.g. his "finesse" game wasn't as efficient and failed executions led to opponents able to take advantage of his smaller frame.

The few games they tried Xhekaj on RD he was more shaky in his zone but it didn't seem to "degrade" as much his overall play probably because it's simpler. It's also way harder to win physical confrontations vs Xhekaj.

Personnally I hope he can pull it off as 3rd RD because otherwise with the depth at LD he may not have a regular place in the lineup in 2 years. Would also help his cause if he can become a good PK2 guy.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Saturday night can’t come quickly enough.

We’ll be really interesting to see who gets one last audition. Hopefully we get a good show.

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Those who are hoping that the Habs finish bottom 5 are probably going to get their wish. This team is still in the middle of a rebuild and while they have accumulated many solid young players, they are still going to suck. I hope we are ready for another 31 win season.
Plus better competition from some of last seasons weaker teams in the east will keep them down IMO. When the puck drops I can never cheer for a loss, but we know a bottom 5 finish will go a long way towards building this team further.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Those who are hoping that the Habs finish bottom 5 are probably going to get their wish. This team is still in the middle of a rebuild and while they have accumulated many solid young players, they are still going to suck. I hope we are ready for another 31 win season.

It's kind of a win/win situation this season. If the habs suck, they can get their hands on the final piece of the puzzle offensively... a skilled top line player.

If they somehow become a bubble team, they will accomplish it without being pretenders considering the strength of their division, and that in order for them to achieve that, the young core would have to take huge strides forward.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's kind of a win/win situation this season. If the habs suck, they can get their hands on the final piece of the puzzle offensively... a skilled top line player.

If they somehow become a bubble team, they will accomplish it without being pretenders considering the strength of their division, and that in order for them to achieve that, the young core would have to take huge strides forward.

This is where we are and a perfect summation.

Outside of being dragged forward by unsustainable goaltending. There aren't enough non-key future pieces in big roles to propel us forward.

Drouin and Hoffman can't annoy us, anymore.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
We do have to be healthy for any type of positive move in the overall standings...........this is not a team who can lose it's better players, period....for any length of time.
We do not have the depp yet....we do have charakter, and culture!!
WHAT?! I distinctly remember that we got a lot of depp. Who lied?!

• Haha
Reactions: BLONG7

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Meh, we all know the team to watch is your Rockets this season. ;-)

• Love
Reactions: Tyson

Jul 6, 2016
This is where we are and a perfect summation.

Outside of being dragged forward by unsustainable goaltending. There aren't enough non-key future pieces in big roles to propel us forward.

Drouin and Hoffman can't annoy us, anymore.
But Armia and Gally can !

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
35-37-10 We will probably end up at around Detroit Red Wing numbers after they pulled the tent pegs.

Reactions: BLONG7

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
MSL at his post practice presser today saying: everything is calculated when it comes to making the lines. If I put one piece in one place, that means I lose it in another. But we have great options. We'll come up with something for October 11th. And then who knows how long it's going to last.

This makes sense to me. The lines will develop over time on the ice, with who does well with who.

Edit: Dach talking about playing with RHP and Slaf.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
MSL at his post practice presser today saying: everything is calculated when it comes to making the lines. If I put one piece in one place, that means I lose it in another. But we have great options. We'll come up with something for October 11th. And then who knows how long it's going to last.

This makes sense to me. The lines will develop over time on the ice, with who does well with who.

Edit: Dach talking about playing with RHP and Slaf.
I'm pretty sure RHP/Dach/Slaf will be a line on October 11th.

It's more the 3rd wheel with CC/Suzuki and who is on the 3rd line that is in flux.

And also that they have 27 healthy players up and MSL act has if he can carry that many around instead of just 23.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad