Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Who would be better than or = Stamkos for as cheap? Thats where my brain gets stuck. Seems odd we’d throw a 40 goal scorer away if he wants 5 mil. I get the age concerns but still. Like, we are all saying Guentzel is probably going to get 7-8 mil. He hasn’t scored 40 to my knowledge.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'd rather bring back Duclair at 4M a year than Stamkos. Stamkos is an ES black hole and has killed that 2nd line. Give Guentzel 7.75x7, Duclair 3.75x4, Tyler Johnson back 2x1.75, Moser 2x2.25.

Guentzel Point Kucherov
Hagel Cirelli Duclair
Paul Johnson Essimont
Goncalves Glendening Chaffee

Hedman Raddysh
McDonagh Cernak
Moser Perbix
Crozier

Vasilevskiy
Johansson

Sheary gets waived before opening day to get under the cap. Could bring up a Fortier to have a pressbox forward and still be under the cap. Still think Sheary can add some needed offense to the bottom 6 if we got a good 3C so I wouldn't trade him, keep him around for injury protection.

• Haha
Reactions: PhysicalGraffiti

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
This team is not better than with Stamkos on it lol
In your opinion, okay. I see a team with.two good top 6 adds in Guentzel and Tarasenko, plus an improved 3rd line. They are considerably better on paper at 5v5, and the addition of a dman such as Carrier provides added balance and depth on the blueline.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Who would be better than or = Stamkos for as cheap? Thats where my brain gets stuck. Seems odd we’d throw a 40 goal scorer away if he wants 5 mil. I get the age concerns but still. Like, we are all saying Guentzel is probably going to get 7-8 mil. He hasn’t scored 40 to my knowledge.
And he's 5 years younger, a better 5v5 player and overall a better playoff performer overall I believe. Regardless of rumored contract values, JBB is likely not interested in a higher value short term deal with Stamkos and may not view him as crucial of a piece moving ahead. Tampa has plenty of options to address goal scoring with different adds in ufa, even if it's not a 40 goal scorer.

Reactions: Zwui21

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I'd rather bring back Duclair at 4M a year than Stamkos. Stamkos is an ES black hole and has killed that 2nd line. Give Guentzel 7.75x7, Duclair 3.75x4, Tyler Johnson back 2x1.75, Moser 2x2.25.

Guentzel Point Kucherov
Hagel Cirelli Duclair
Paul Johnson Essimont
Goncalves Glendening Chaffee

Hedman Raddysh
McDonagh Cernak
Moser Perbix
Crozier

Vasilevskiy
Johansson

Sheary gets waived before opening day to get under the cap. Could bring up a Fortier to have a pressbox forward and still be under the cap. Still think Sheary can add some needed offense to the bottom 6 if we got a good 3C so I wouldn't trade him, keep him around for injury protection.
I think that's good as well, but I would try and.bring Motte back maybe. If my math is correct, with your lineup you've spent 15.5, and after waiving Sheary they'd have 2.15 left. You could add a better F instead of Johnson, but either way the cap works.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Hedman-Raddysh
Mcdonagh-Cernak
Moser-Perbix

i have no problems with our D. top 4 is strong. perbix can be upgraded at the deadline if he sucks again

Raddysh is "strong" and Perbix is the one that needs to be upgraded? Lol

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Raddysh is "strong" and Perbix is the one that needs to be upgraded? Lol

Raddysh blossomed into a surefire top 4 defenseman last year, there is nothing wrong with calling him strong. Having said that, I don't get the hate on for Perbix, he spent most of the year having to cover for guys like Dumba, CDH, or the AHL rookies. I think he'll do a great job next year with an actual NHL quality defender in Moser.

Reactions: ccman68

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Raddysh blossomed into a surefire top 4 defenseman last year, there is nothing wrong with calling him strong. Having said that, I don't get the hate on for Perbix, he spent most of the year having to cover for guys like Dumba, CDH, or the AHL rookies. I think he'll do a great job next year with an actual NHL quality defender in Moser.
Perbix was terrible pivoting to get back defensively. That is where his lack of foot speed/poor acceleration was really exposed. He was carried in 2022-23 when playing with Hedman, and was piss poor away from him in 2023-24, outside of one decent stretch when we went on one of our extended points streaks/runs.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Perbix was terrible pivoting to get back defensively. That is where his lack of foot speed/poor acceleration was really exposed. He was carried in 2022-23 when playing with Hedman, and was piss poor away from him in 2023-24, outside of one decent stretch when we went on one of our extended points streaks/runs.

Sophomore defenseman making 1M has down year, trade him asap.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
In your opinion, okay. I see a team with.two good top 6 adds in Guentzel and Tarasenko, plus an improved 3rd line. They are considerably better on paper at 5v5, and the addition of a dman such as Carrier provides added balance and depth on the blueline.
Have you watched Tarasenko play lately?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
It’s not that hard JBB get it done lol

IMG_0098.png

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
My only guess is they like Guetzel more 5v5 and want to use the rest of the money to further address the D.

I still don't like it. We have enough space to do a lot of things while keeping Stamkos. I mean... maybe it doesn't make sense to give Guetzel 8+ if Stamkos is gonna get the spot on the PP? So they see it as either/or? To me, if Stamkos is getting less than 5, you let them fight over PP time and if Stamkos loses, it's still a good contract if he's scoring 25 and on the 2nd unit.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Have you watched Tarasenko play lately?
Yeah, he, like Stamkos, also has some warts. He's still.capable of 60 points and would be a good top 6 add. There.afe others as well that Tampa could look at depending on how much they wanted to spend between the 2nd and 3rd line. In any case, he'd be a fine 2nd line RW that if healthy is capable of 30 goals and 60 points. There are guys like Toffoli and JAM I could see them.going after as well depending on where the $ was allotted. The point remains, that keeping Stamkos is.far from the only path.forward to the team remaining a contender.

It’s not that hard JBB get it done lol

View attachment 889821
3rd line is meh, no thanks on Maroon back, and the defense is still very iffy on the right side(no depth at all).

Reactions: Zwui21

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Bleh, I really hope we find a way to bump Cirelli back to 3C.

Again, this is why I'd prefer Bertuzzi over Guentzel. He would come significantly cheaper, which would allow us to address one more roster hole.
Ya but man the numbers guentzel would put up playing with kucherov and point would be bonkers 😲😀

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
My only guess is they like Guetzel more 5v5 and want to use the rest of the money to further address the D.

I still don't like it. We have enough space to do a lot of things while keeping Stamkos. I mean... maybe it doesn't make sense to give Guetzel 8+ if Stamkos is gonna get the spot on the PP? So they see it as either/or? To me, if Stamkos is getting less than 5, you let them fight over PP time and if Stamkos loses, it's still a good contract if he's scoring 25 and on the 2nd unit.
Guentzel is a lefty

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I guess we just wait to see where the chips fall.

JBB did win 2 cups in 3 finals

He should get some benefit of the doubt. Losing Stammer for cheap is a big ask.

There's a $$$$ amount that cannot be placed on lockerroom presence.

Reactions: PhysicalGraffiti

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ya but man the numbers guentzel would put up playing with kucherov and point would be bonkers 😲😀
I don't know. He played a long time with Crosby. I'm not even convinced he would play on the top line. Gonna be hard to top the chemistry with Hagel.

Which I guess means they would feel pretty obligated to give him top PP minutes. Again, maybe that's why we're so uninterested in bringing back Stamkos, regardless of the price.

I don't see Guentzel being automatic for 40 here. 30-35 maybe? I think Bertuzzi would be more like 25, but I like the edge he plays with, and I really like the extra 2ish million it would leave us to address another problem.

Guentzel is a lefty
I know. But don't kid yourself into believing we're gonna pay a guy 8+ and leave him off the first unit. That only happened with Sergachev, and we even TRIED to make that work.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
God damn it Todd. Don't bring this into the universe.
lol 😂 you know JBB loves overpaying on long term deals lol 😂

I don't know. He played a long time with Crosby. I'm not even convinced he would play on the top line. Gonna be hard to top the chemistry with Hagel.

Which I guess means they would feel pretty obligated to give him top PP minutes. Again, maybe that's why we're so uninterested in bringing back Stamkos, regardless of the price.

I don't see Guentzel being automatic for 40 here. 30-35 maybe? I think Bertuzzi would be more like 25, but I like the edge he plays with, and I really like the extra 2ish million it would leave us to address another problem.

I know. But don't kid yourself into believing we're gonna pay a guy 8+ and leave him off the first unit. That only happened with Sergachev, and we even TRIED to make that work.
I like bertuzzi he definitely would be cheaper but he’s so inconsistent I think he would get 19 to 21 goals he’s just not a big goal scorer but good player for sure.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
lol 😂 you know JBB loves overpaying on long term deals lol 😂

I like bertuzzi he definitely would be cheaper but he’s so inconsistent I think he would get 19 to 21 goals he’s just not a big goal scorer but good player for sure.
I mean, if JBB is determined to lose Stamkos, then Guentzel is the better choice for sure. My scenario is Bertuzzi AND Stamkos, with Stamkos putting up enough PP goals to hit 30-35 again. Then you add Bertuzzi's 20-25, mostly 5v5. Then you add a cheap, but solid, defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad