Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I could see the allure of JBB and Cooper wanting him back. I think it's a pipe dream because getting McDonagh back AND him is just too much for me to believe in one offseason. With that said, him at 1.8M is incredibly good value and I'd be all for it.

Likely stays with the team until TDL or he's traded with retention during the offseason.
If we trade jeannot and sheary for goodrow(50%retained) we save 2.7ish million. Sj gets two vets they can dump whenever for picks.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Don Waddell is doing a press conference right now, and seemed to indicate that he's looking for a head coach with NHL head coaching experience. That could be good news for Jeff Blashill, and bad for Jeff Halpern.

That would probably mean Todd Nelson is out. He was briefly the Oilers head coach, but that was years ago now.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Columbus is not far from being one hell of a team. Granted, I say this every year, but Waddell means business and they have a collection of young talent that seems almost unmatched. Add a solid veteran or two, maybe upgrade in net (Ullmark?) and they're making the playoffs.

Reactions: Renopucker

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Columbus is not far from being one hell of a team. Granted, I say this every year, but Waddell means business and they have a collection of young talent that seems almost unmatched. Add a solid veteran or two, maybe upgrade in net (Ullmark?) and they're making the playoffs.
Next season's Jack Adams winner could be the Jackets coach.

edit: Bruce Boudreau would like another shot, and he's been in Waddell's orbit since the 90s, as they were both IHL guys, but Boudreau is nearly 70 years old.

Dean Evason and Jay Woodcroft have pretty respectable NHL coaching records, and they might have learned something from their first attempts.

Last edited:
Reactions: bov

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Yeah, unless I'm hearing one of the big 3 or 4 names that usually have the inside scoop on these things say Stamkos to Florida, I'm not buying it. Even if Stamkos was to leave, I would hope that Mantha is not the contingency plan.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
We aren't quite a week out from July 1st and the Cup finals are still holding the hockey worlds interest, but this is around the time we should start hearing how Stamkos v JBB is positioned in their negotiation talks. So far we've had a very weak indication from a third party that they aren't close, that is before JBB dealt for McD yet publicly stated there was money for Stammer.

Color me surprised if we sign him, I don't think JBB actually wants to bring Stamkos back. Unless some crazy scenario happens, JBB has pretty much talked himself into a corner as to what his intentions are. We've seen the hints for 2+ years now.

We'll continue to hear canned lip service about intent to keep him, but if we don't hear good news soon on contract talks, I'm calling it. He's gone

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
We aren't quite a week out from July 1st and the Cup finals are still holding the hockey worlds interest, but this is around the time we should start hearing how Stamkos v JBB is positioned in their negotiation talks. So far we've had a very weak indication from a third party that they aren't close, that is before JBB dealt for McD yet publicly stated there was money for Stammer.

Color me surprised if we sign him, I don't think JBB actually wants to bring Stamkos back. Unless some crazy scenario happens, JBB has pretty much talked himself into a corner as to what his intentions are. We've seen the hints for 2+ years now.

We'll continue to hear canned lip service about intent to keep him, but if we don't hear good news soon on contract talks, I'm calling it. He's gone
Based on absolutely nothing but a general feeling, it seems like JBB has a bit of the “smartest guy in the room” attitude and doesn’t mind shafting players who don’t fit into his master plan.

By all accounts, what we offered Palat was embarrassing (yes I know it was a long shot anyways), he forced Mac to yield on his NTC, etc.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it comes out that he never put a sincere effort into signing Stamkos.

It’s a business, but it seems like he doesn’t show a ton of respect to some core pillars of the Cup teams, at least from the outside.

Perhaps “rigid” is a better word for it. That being said, I admit he is smarter than me and he needs to make concessions to execute his plan.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014

Here's the thing with this: he has to have a plan to improve the team if he doesn't want Stamkos back. It's not like Stamkos is being traded and we're opening up a bunch of cap to reallocate on better players. His contract is just expiring. So letting him walk without any substantial replacement doesn't seem to make sense. And at the moment, we don't have enough cap to bring in quality (or better) players.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
He might

First off: This reporter lives in Spain lol. Second: he's just writing speculation from a dude at Bleach Report who said Florida could be an interesting option for Stamkos. It's just a Bleach Report dude speculating and making a "prediction."

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Yes I was surprised when we traded for Mac because that ate a chuck of our cap space! And that tells me JBB thinks defense is more important than bringing back Stamkos . I’d be surprised if Stamkos was back because I don’t think Stamkos is taking 5 million per season. Unless JBB moves some serious money out cernak or cirell and he isn’t moving cernak he wants 4 legit defenseman.

Right now JBB has to sign at least 3 forwards and 1 defenseman moving Jeannot and Sheary out just isn’t gonna clear out the cap space to bring back stammer unless he shocks me and signs for 5 million per year but with a 88 million dollar cap I just don’t see him taking that much less money.

I think stammer would come back if JBB gave him the same money 8.5 million per year or maybe 7.5 million per year.

What worries me is I hope JBB doesn’t sign a dud forward for Stamkos replacement like a Sheary again

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

I honestly think JBB probably offered Stamkos 4.5 AAV per year for 8 years and is like that’s the best we can do . He really screwed up paying Jeannot and Sheary all GM’s know he wants out of those cap hits

June 20th and have heard nothing on Stamkos contract offers this feels like palat and killorn all over again low ball unfortunately I just didn’t think JBB was going to let Stamkos walk I guess he will.

If we don’t start hearing something next week that’s about it

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'm ok with not bringing him back as long as you shed the other fat contracts like Cirelli/ Sergachev and get a massive re-tool in to stay competitive. If he wants to die on the hill of these contracts and be mediocre then there's no reason not to bring Stamkos back and let him ride the ship to retirement.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I'm ok with not bringing him back as long as you shed the other fat contracts like Cirelli and Sergachev also and get a massive re-tool in to stay competitive. If he wants to die on the hill of these contracts and be mediocre then there's no reason not to bring Stamkos back and let him ride the ship to retirement.
Yep I’d rather ditch cirell , Jeannot and Sheary clear up a bunch of money and change our top 6 . Pay Sam Reinhart and duclair.

But yes if your sticking with cirell and sergachev then bring back Stamkos .

Right now if we lose Stamkos we will only have 3 good forwards point , Kucherov and hagel would legit can score every one else is average.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Yep I’d rather ditch cirell , Jeannot and Sheary clear up a bunch of money and change our top 6 . Pay Sam Reinhart and duclair.

But yes if your sticking with cirell and sergachev then bring back Stamkos .

Right now if we lose Stamkos we will only have 3 good forwards point , Kucherov and hagel would legit can score every one else is average.
He won't move Cirelli for maybe 2 more good years tops of Stamkos. Cirelli is not an average forward anyway, so replacing him isn't some simple thing. If the next two or three years were all that JBB cared about, then Serg remains the correct choice to move for many reasons(worst bloated contract, still best trade value, excess talent at that position).

Just because there hasn't been any news doesn't mean much really. Very little news ever leaks out of Tampa until the signing/trade etc is basically happening. The money for Stamkos and enough other players to reach 22 is still there as long as Jeannot and Sheary are moved, and Stamkos is willing to take maybe 6. Tampa was never likely offering him 8.5 or even 7-7.5, and Stamkos and his camp had to know that, even before they signed McD (as whether it had been Hanifin traded for, McD, or other space needed, Tampa was going to need a decent amount of space for other positions thos offseason).

Maybe JBB is fine letting him walk if Stamkos won't take what his best offer is. Yzerman basically did the same thing 8 years ago with the considerably under market number of 8.5. If Stamkos wants a big aav for 2 or 3 years, more power to him, but it won't be in Tampa. Either way, moving Jeannot and Sheary should still occur, as JBB could then still be able to go out and spend 5.5-6 on a good ufa F to help replace Stamkos should he leave. I think JBB is fine having 2 or 3 800kish contracts this season, and hopefully he will be able to find some value in a couple of ~1 million type ufa's that could be signed(not to mention likely thinking a Syracuse promotion like Goncalves, Groshev, Finley etc contributing).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad