Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 4

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Would anyone be opposed to this deal

Tampa trades: Cirelli, Perbix, 2026 2nd

Buffalo trades Jiri Kulich, Peyton Krebs, 2024 4th (PHI)

Krebs is a bust IMO. So we're putting our eggs into the Kulich basket and that's not a sure bet and may not make us better immediately. I don't think we need to give up a 2nd here.

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
You keep saying some magical 3 million winger is going to solve the problems. Who is that?

And guys like Goncalves, Lafferty, Groshev are just some that could be acquired and/or promoted to.provide some help to the bottom 6. Not worried about finding big offensive weapons for the majority of the bottom 6, just guys who can fill a role.
I gave you three options yesterday that actually produce offense that without Cirelli could fit, not to mention a potential roster player that could come back. 3M isn't a locked number. It could go up to 4. There are plenty of UFAs that get signed in the 3-4 range that we could make work and produce in the 40-50 pt range. I mentioned Sprong, Joshua, Foegele, a bottom six option in Lafferty, and you wrote off all of them because "no thanks" and "I doubt they will work," aside from Lafferty. You don't know that. You just sound weirdly obsessed with Cirelli to the point where if #71 isn't there, anybody else somehow can't outproduce or match him. Guess what? Paul did. He's a "magical 3 million winger" we have on our own team that outscored a player paid twice as much. And to think he can't kill penalties or we can't put two 4th liners out to do it and fill in that from Cirelli is absurd.

Goncalves, Lafferty, and Groshev. There's one proven commodity there. You expect Goncalves and/or Groshev to step in for 3rd line duties? Who else in FA? You're recommending promotions when we just rolled the most hot mess bottom six that didn't do shit for us. It's a piece of work down there. You don't just slap together leftovers.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Groshev's career best 10 goals in the AHL were second most since 2018 when he scored 13 in a U17 league. He's 22. Not entirely screaming "solution" for our 3rd line this year.

Goncalves might be ready to make the jump but is going to find it difficult at 3C. He doesn't have the biggest frame for his height and putting him in between Paul/Cirelli and Glendening at 3C is audacious.

Let's just take a look at this...

Jeannot - Goncalves - Eyssimont
Motte? - Glendening - Chaffee

I may have been wrong saying this last season was our worst bottom six in years. This might be worse.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I gave you three options yesterday that actually produce offense that without Cirelli could fit, not to mention a potential roster player that could come back. 3M isn't a locked number. It could go up to 4. There are plenty of UFAs that get signed in the 3-4 range that we could make work and produce in the 40-50 pt range. I mentioned Sprong, Joshua, Foegele, a bottom six option in Lafferty, and you wrote off all of them because "no thanks" and "I doubt they will work," aside from Lafferty. You don't know that. You just sound weirdly obsessed with Cirelli to the point where if #71 isn't there, anybody else somehow can't outproduce or match him. Guess what? Paul did. He's a "magical 3 million winger" we have on our own team that outscored a player paid twice as much. And to think he can't kill penalties or we can't put two 4th liners out to do it and fill in that from Cirelli is absurd.

Goncalves, Lafferty, and Groshev. There's one proven commodity there. You expect Goncalves and/or Groshev to step in for 3rd line duties? Who else in FA? You're recommending promotions when we just rolled the most hot mess bottom six that didn't do shit for us. It's a piece of work down there. You don't just slap together leftovers.
And none of those guys are 2nd liners worth losing Cirelli over, nor is the team guaranteed to have enough space to spend on Stamkos, add now maybe a 4 million player and have any space for anyone better beyond that. And you sound like someone who wants to turn Cirelli into some scapegoat for the team's problems, when that's far from the problem(since the offense hasn't been a problem the last three seasons).

And yes, in my lineup the top 6 is set,.or they can roll a new guy in the top 6 while having Paul and Ace on the 3rd with someone like Lafferty or Goncalves. Syracuse prospects and/or cheap ufas were always going to be needed in the coming years to help bolster the bottom 6, so be it. Cirelli was signed to an 8 year deal. He's viewed as a core piece now, and shouldn't be moved barring a large overpay. Since that won't be happening, he shouldn't be traded. The bottom 6 will see some nee faces and have some transition this year, could be an improvement. The top 6 will be fine, and they won't have to overpay Foegele, Joshua or Sprong after one or two bog seasons tops(mostly one) to try and continue it in Tampa.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
And none of those guys are 2nd liners worth losing Cirelli over, nor is the team guaranteed to have enough space to spend on Stamkos, add now maybe a 4 million player and have any space for anyone better beyond that. And you sound like someone who wants to turn Cirelli into some scapegoat for the team's problems, when that's far from the problem(since the offense hasn't been a problem the last three seasons).

And yes, in my lineup the top 6 is set,.or they can roll a new guy in the top 6 while having Paul and Ace on the 3rd with someone like Lafferty or Goncalves. Syracuse prospects and/or cheap ufas were always going to be needed in the coming years to help bolster the bottom 6, so be it. Cirelli was signed to an 8 year deal. He's viewed as a core piece now, and shouldn't be moved barring a large overpay. Since that won't be happening, he shouldn't be traded. The bottom 6 will see some nee faces and have some transition this year, could be an improvement. The top 6 will be fine, and they won't have to overpay Foegele, Joshua or Sprong after one or two bog seasons tops(mostly one) to try and continue it in Tampa.
Wrong. I've said Cirelli being traded is not reflective of him as a player, it's reflective of our cap situation.

So, no other options, just Syracuse guys and Lafferty/Goncalves. Lol. Interesting.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.

And Tampa was always going to have one area of perceived weakness this year. I figured they'd spend 3-4 on F and 3-4 on a dman, while still having some weakness in the bottom 6. Nothing much has changed, aside from the offense having one less add of quality. What doesn't help the team is subtracting a good 2C in exchange for a 3rd line winger and maybe another 3rd/4th line winger(who they can likely get anyway even keeping Cirelli). With a better defense, healthy Vasy and Serg, and the same important offensive personnel that was 5th or 6th in the league, had usually a top 3 powerplay most of the year, and averaged over 3.4 goals a game, they should be fine. Next offseason if they need to, they can add a more expensive ufa F, or maybe trade for one.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
How would you feel about trying to get Drouin to sign on the cheap after we sign Stamkos? Also can Hedman be extended since he has one year on his contract left this offseason and lower his average? Lets say he signs 4-5 years deal at 5-6 million. Then we get a lower cap hit and create more space. If we suck near the end of it so be it.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Wrong. I've said Cirelli being traded is not reflective of him as a player, it's reflective of our cap situation.

So, no other options, just Syracuse guys and Lafferty/Goncalves. Lol. Interesting.
Since the cap doesn't require Cirelli ro be moved to actually improve the team(as losing Cirelli for anyone you have suggested weakens it), I guess that's just your interesting view, lol.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
How would you feel about trying to get Drouin to sign on the cheap after we sign Stamkos? Also can Hedman be extended since he has one year on his contract left this offseason and lower his average? Lets say he signs 4-5 years deal at 5-6 million. Then we get a lower cap hit and create more space. If we suck near the end of it so be it.
I’d like drouin but he probably doesn’t want to come here

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I like Drouin and I'm happy for him but I don't think he'll be worth it at his next contract, he's due for a pay bump. We have to figure out the next buy-low opportunity.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Since the cap doesn't require Cirelli ro be moved to actually improve the team(as losing Cirelli for anyone you have suggested weakens it), I guess that's just your interesting view, lol.
That's your opinion. Strengthening the wing at the expense of moving a 6.25M center when a 3M center can produce just as much is a smart move to make. The winger depth on this team is abysmal. Our defense is sorted, our center depth is fine, we lack legitimate wingers and have since losing Palat and Killorn.

We currently have Hagel, Jeannot and potentially Motte? at LW. Right side is Kucherov, Stamkos Eyssimont, Chaffee and Sheary. That's considering Sheary even stays which nobody wants. You can get by moving Cirelli to strengthen the wing position.

I take it the last bit of mockery by saying "interesting" got to you in a discussion. I know your opinion so I'm not going to give you any more time, pointless given youre taking it in that direction.

I like Drouin and I'm happy for him but I don't think he'll be worth it at his next contract, he's due for a pay bump. We have to figure out the next buy-low opportunity.
Agreed. When I combed through, it was an enticing option, but I'd rather not rehash that one.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Im one of the biggest Drouin supporters and i always will be, i would love for him to be back here but as long as Coop is the coach... the closest he will get to being in Tampa is on the away team bench

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
I wonder if Montreal would have any interest in Cirelli. They have a deep prospect pool, and some bottom 6 guys that could be of interest like Jake Evans. There is also the possibility of taking on Carey Price's LTIR contract for the next 2 years. Its also well known that Montreal is always looking for a top 6 C

FrankSidebottom

Mar 16, 2021
I wonder if Montreal would have any interest in Cirelli. They have a deep prospect pool, and some bottom 6 guys that could be of interest like Jake Evans. There is also the possibility of taking on Carey Price's LTIR contract for the next 2 years. Its also well known that Montreal is always looking for a top 6 C
Huh? Why should Tampa do this?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Drouin is 100% staying in Colorado, don't see why he would leave and they're more than likely going to get out of that Nichushkin contract.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Drouin is 100% staying in Colorado, don't see why he would leave and they're more than likely going to get out of that Nichushkin contract.
A team can't terminate a contract of a player in the NHLPA assistance program.

They might be able to trade it.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Time to contend is over. 2 million for Sheary? 6.5m for Hagel? 6.25m for Cirelli? 8.5 for Sergy? Crazy overpayment on every one. Should have saved 7 million on those salaries alone......
How is Hagel overpaid?

He was 8th in even strength scoring in the league last season. That’s right, more/better than Draisaitl, Rantanen, Forsberg, Miller, Nylander, Point, Kaprizov, Reinhart, Aho - to name a few.

He was 5th on the Lightning in overall scoring, 4th in goals. 30 more points than Cirelli.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad