Prospect Info: [2023 - 101st] Florian Xhekaj (OHL - Brantford Bulldogs)

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I think he is already viewed as one of their best forward prospects, as I would be willing to bet teams when they called about Arber and were told no, they asked on Florian next. GMs love kids that are big and nasty to play against, play a good two way game, but also has some decent hands. When the playoffs roll around he'll be worth his weight in gold.
I agree. But that may be saying more about the current state/depth of Montreal's forward prospects than Florian's comparative promise. Hopefully, this upcoming draft will change that pessimistic outlook.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He has much better offensive skills and mobility than Lucic. Lucic could never play the point or half-boards on the power play with the flair and skill that Florian can. But again, we shouldn't pigeon-hole this kid because of his size. His success at the NHL level will be as a result of his offensive skills, not his mere physicality. I see much more Nick Paul in Florian's game than a Lucic.

I haven't seen Paul in a few years but with Xhekaj he clearly has a number of interesting tools, the power he shows, the nastiness and toughness he plays with just reminds me of Lucic as once he fills out some more and improves his lower body strength and work on being more explosive, he's going to be a force if he can keep progressing.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Can't wait until he's making his debut in a few seasons. He'll be a key role player for a team lacking toughness and scoring in the bottom six
Our bottom two lines lack scoring and toughness? I’m shocked.

In my close to 70 years of watching this team I’ve never seen a weaker bottom three lines. The fact that we were competitive in most of our games was due to the strength of our top line, the above average goaltending that we generally received game-in and game out and mostly, our highly mobile defence. That is why it pains me to read some (many ) here ready, willing if not eager to trade some of our most mobile defencemen : Matheson, Guhle and Harris.

I have often warned that you trade away skating ability at your team’s peril. This warning applies doubly to mobile defencemen.

With his recent developmental trajectory, Florian provides hope of better results from our bottom lines. I will watch with interest his play in Laval this year to see if his remarkable ascendancy continues.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He definitely has the right profile for a bottom 6 role, if they can just improve his skating a tad and make him maybe 10% more explosive, which should be doable. He's on a positive development curve, let's hope he keeps going that way :thumbu:

Reactions: 1909 and Mrb1p

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not expecting much from the younger Xhekaj but if he becomes that nasty bottom 6F some think he can be, great!

Habs are loaded with grade B's. Some will surprise and most will not. The good news is we have lots so I'm sure there will be a few hits.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
Not expecting much from the younger Xhekaj but if he becomes that nasty bottom 6F some think he can be, great!

Habs are loaded with grade B's. Some will surprise and most will not. The good news is we have lots so I'm sure there will be a few hits.
One thing i'm sure about him is, he's physical, can fight and can score.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1