2022 Stanley Cup Favourite #11

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who goes 11th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
You do know that the Stars the year before made it all the way to the SCF only to miss the POs last year?

For me at lease I will not be picking the Habs because I do not see them making the POs in the tough Eastern Conference. Habs can't win if they are not in the show.

Minny on the other hand has a very good chance of making the PO's in the very weak Western Conference so I will be picking them well before the Habs.

Your Habs might be a better team then Minny is but is will do them no good if they are on the outside looking in for the POs while Minny is on the inside looking out.

Hence I'll be picking the Blues, Wild, Oilers, Caps Canucks, and maybe Kings and Hawks before the Habs.

Stars got voted 7th most likely team to win the stanley cup going into this season (2021), after making the finals the year prior. This - despite them playing in what turned out to be the hardest of divisions in 2021. So - HF certainly thought enough of them after their cup finals that they would be a strong contender this season again.

Should the Habs be considered a playoff lock for 2022? Nope, not arguing they should. But a team showing they can win in the playoffs should count for something. But I get it - this is HF, and it won't. Hilarious that Florida and Winnipeg got voted in before Pittsburgh or Washington for example

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
I can agree with that, to a degree. I cant agree that the same can be said for any team that has either missed the playoffs, or had minimal success while in the playoffs.

Take Florida for example, as one ridiculously described this whole debate "HF Florida Panthers effect."

Florida has had zero playoff success since making the SCFs in 96. But those playoff appearances after 96, and up until a few years ago, have zero effect on the team this year, or over the past two seasons where they lost the play in to the Islanders, and last playoffs to the eventual champs. There was never a time when they had an owner willing to spend money on the players, coaches, management staff, etc., or invest in the team itself. Viola has done all of that. He spends to the cap, spends the most on coaches, added to the scouting department, upgraded our training facility, and now builds our future training facility. The whole organization is focused on winning, and its the first time that can be said, from ownership to the players,. And its evident by the improvement of play of the last few seasons. Its been an upward trajectory for the Panthers just before the play in season.Now, if Florida goes the route of Toronto, and starts losing in the first round over the next few seasons, then you can bring up the character, or mental weakness, of the team. But you havent seen that yet.

Now the same cant be said about the Leafs. They were on the trajectory the Panthers are on now, a few seasons ago, but they have stalled. For one reason or the other, they havent been able to make it past the first round. Maybe its bad luck. An injury. Or like you said, a lack of character or mental strength. But they still are a talented team. They are flawed, and still will be doubted once the playoffs start, but I still have them better than some of the teams not yet voted in. I think the Leafs, Habs, and Bruins fight for the 3/4/5 slot, and I wouldnt be shocked if Montreal were to be ahead of either one of those teams towards the end of the season. If the Habs didnt have the offseason they had, and lose key players to injuries, maybe Id have them higher on my list. I just think that compared to the teams already voted, And while character does seperate the contenders from the pretenders, character also gives us Cinderella runs, like the Habs last year, or even the 96 Panthers.

I agree and think there's a huge difference between losing in the playoffs...and simply not making the playoffs. In my mind, a "Cinderella run" in the playoffs is really a misnomer...since winning in the playoffs really just proves you belonged all along...regular season standing supporting that, or not.

If anything, I think the Habs success in 2021 ought to open up debate on whether more than 16 teams should be allowed playoff berths. I'd even go so far as to suggest all 32 teams make the playoffs...and a fifth round added to accommodate the inclusion of everyone. Give everyone a shot and see who the real victors might be.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Im not convinced the Pens and Caps are going to be threats going forwards as their stars get older. Toronto and Winnipeg's stars are hitting their peak and primes, so to me its just a matter of time that they get over their "playoff hump woes", just like the Caps did in 2018.

Caps were at least able to consistently win a series before winning the cup (09, 11, 12, 15, 16, 17). Leafs find new ways to choke in round 1 every year. Also, their D and goaltending are garbage. And their star forwards are softer than cupcakes. Not a recipe for success.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Im not convinced the Pens and Caps are going to be threats going forwards as their stars get older. Toronto and Winnipeg's stars are hitting their peak and primes, so to me its just a matter of time that they get over their "playoff hump woes", just like the Caps did in 2018.

The difference is when the Caps/Pens struggled in the playoffs, it was usually the lack of supporting cast. Their big boys always produced.

Can't say the same about Toronto and Winnipeg. Often, it's actually been their big boys who don't produce when they need them.

So "getting over their playoff hump woes" won't be as easy if your stars don't play like stars.

Reactions: KoozNetsOff 92

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Caps were at least able to consistently win a series before winning the cup (09, 11, 12, 15, 16, 17). Leafs find new ways to choke in round 1 every year. Also, their D and goaltending are garbage. And their star forwards are softer than cupcakes. Not a recipe for success.

Not to mention that the Caps were/are a far better team than Toronto was/is. That Stanley Cup followed a boatload of divisional and conference titles and multiple President Trophies.

Reactions: KoozNetsOff 92

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Leafs have good sandpaper guys like Hyman and Kadri that you need to win in the playoffs tho.....

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006

The real crazy thing is...if you really wanted to step beyond the lunatic fringe to create a poor man's version of the Caps in Canada...it's the Habs.

In the last few years, the Caps won the Presidents Trophy and followed that with a 'Cup win. The Habs are Presidents Trophy runner-ups who followed that with a 'Cup runner-up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad