2022 NHL draft HOT TAKES thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

spfan

May 4, 2009
Lambert and Miroshnichenko should still be taken with high picks. (not saying they will, but SHOULD).

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Cutter Gauthier will be the most valuable player from this draft

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
1st overall pick in 2022 will bust Yakupov style, because Montréal can't pick a good 1st round pick it seems, caliss

Hopefully I'm wrong
Yeah, they really can't pick good 1st round picks (Guhle, Caufield, Sergachev, Pacioretty, McDonagh, Price). ;)

I think the probability Wright "busts" is low, all is a question of expectations. A 2nd line C is his floor IMO, which is still decent (RNH).

Slafkovsky has a higher "bust potential" (3rd line winger as a floor) for sure.

All depends on who they pick.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Yeah, they really can't pick good 1st round picks (Guhle, Caufield, Sergachev, Pacioretty, McDonagh, Price). ;)

I think the probability Wright "busts" is low, all is a question of expectations. A 2nd line C is his floor IMO, which is still decent (RNH).

Mailloux (jury still out on him, but man, the context...), Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Juulsen, Scherbak, McCarron, Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Leblanc, Fisher, Chipchura

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Just a few:

Wright turns out better than people think and becomes an 80-90 point two way center.

Mateychuk turns out to be a serious candidate as the best defenseman from this class, and Nazar challenges Wright and Cooley as the best overall player.

Grudinin becomes a top pairing defender and no goalies play more than 50 NHL games in their career.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Slafkovsky doesn't bust, he turns into a solid NHL player.
It's sad that this is a "hot take" but a lot of people seem to think he's going to bust

Also Cutter Gauthier makes every single team that passes on him regret it.

Reactions: lafellaesobar

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Predicting a "bust" shouldnt count as a hot take imo, but here I go

Brad Lambert will be picked by the Islanders and its gonna be a monumental mistake and he'll be booted out of the team the same year as his uncle.

Marek Hejduk is drafted by the Avalanche with their pick 5-6 or 7.He ends up with a decent career as a 4th liner "just because"

Kearns

Too good to be true, no?
Sponsor
Jun 7, 2008
Kamloops, BC
Ivan Miroshnichenko is 18th FWD drafted, but then goes on to become one of the top 3 FWDs in this draft year.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Looking at McKenzie’s poll, just at his first 32, Ive got Mateychuk 14 spots earlier, McGroarty 12 earlier, Gaucher 9 earlier and Chesley 8 earlier. On the flipside, I’ve got Lekkerimaki 23 spots later, Rinzel 15 later, Miroshnichenko 13 later, and Howard 11 later.

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
Predicting a "bust" shouldnt count as a hot take imo, but here I go

Brad Lambert will be picked by the Islanders and its gonna be a monumental mistake and he'll be booted out of the team the same year as his uncle.

Marek Hejduk is drafted by the Avalanche with their pick 5-6 or 7.He ends up with a decent career as a 4th liner "just because"
bold of you to assume that the isles missed and he becomes good. Lambert is a Zach Parise situation all over again

newdimension

May 18, 2013
Instead of hot takes, I am going to make a pre-emptive re-ranking of the draft's top 40 5-10 years from, which I guess is kind of like a hot take.

1. David Jiricek
2. Noah Ostlund
3. Logan Cooley
4. Shane Wright
5. Juraj Slafkovsky
6. Kevin Korchinski
7. Ivan Miroshnichenko
8. Lane Hutson
9. Pavel Mintyukov
10. Jagger Firkus
11. Simon Nemec
12. Jonathan Lekkerimaki
13. Cutter Gauthier
14. Jiri Kulich
15. Topias Leinonen
16. Denton Mateychuk
17. Adam Sykora
18. Frank Nazar
19. Rutger McGroarty
20. Artyom Duda
21. Marco Kasper
22. Matthew Savoie
23. Owen Beck
24. Brayden Schuurman
25. Liam Ohgren
26. Reid Schaefer
27. Seamus Casey
28. Danila Yurov
29. Lian Bichsel
30. Filip Mesar
31. Julian Lutz
32. Evan Konyen
33. Alexander Perevalov
34. Jan Spunar
35. Logan Morrison
36. Jimmy Snuggerud
37. Noah Warren
38. Alexis Gendron
39. Cameron Lund
40. Calle Odelius

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

If Wright's floor was a 2C he'd be far and away the consensus first overall. He actually projects more as a 2C.

Reactions: Lavar Ball

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think that Pavel Mintyukov will be the best D in the 2022 NHL draft and will end up a top 3 player OVERALL in that draft.
Could happen. If any D has a chance of being better than Nemec or Jiricek (or any other D), he's the guy.

Tyrus

5 ft 7 in.
May 20, 2013
If Wright's floor was a 2C he'd be far and away the consensus first overall. He actually projects more as a 2C.
No he wouldn't.

People want more out of a 1st overall than a player that seems like he might end up only being a 2C, hence why shaky narratives are pushed about other players to make them seem worthy of the 1st spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad