2022 NHL draft HOT TAKES thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Only a few days before the 2022 NHL DRAFT, now is the time to let it all OUT.

What are your HOT TAKES going into the draft? By hot takes, I mean something that you have a strong belief that will happen but that would look unlikely for most people. It needs to be at least a bit provocative and induce strong reactions. I encourage you to use this thread to tell people they are ridiculous for having those opinions as well so we can have a nice chirping atmosphere going.

This is as well the thread you want to bookmark to laugh at people expense in the future (it could be especially nice if you end up being right on your hot take).

The timing is great, because no team has drafted any player yet, so no homerism can, for now, infect the discussions.

I'll start it:

I think that Pavel Mintyukov will be the best D in the 2022 NHL draft and will end up a top 3 player OVERALL in that draft.

Fire away!

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Apparently, in your opinion - Jesper Bratt being better than Caufield is a hot take :laugh:

No, for me that is not a hot take, it is just a fact that Caufield is in another category talent wise.

Anyways, let's try to not diverge from the thread topic too much, it would be too easy to get sidetracked if we import the Bratt/Caufield saga over here. ;)

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It's be better if you actually wrote who you think are better than them, so we can really chirp you.

My guess? Lambert, Cooley, Nazar? Smallish, talented forwards. Like Caufield! Not as good as Nick Robertson, but well. ;)

It really surprises me that it is considered a hot take, to be honest.

And if we want to be fair, 1/3 of the polled people would pick Caufield right now over Bratt, so it is not like it is outrageous.

I don't think 1/3 of HF think that Mintyukov will end up the best D in the draft.
Cooley
Lambert
Savoie

That's my top 3.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Cooley
Lambert
Savoie

That's my top 3.

I wonder how much of that 30% taking Caufield were Habs fans? If the other poll is any indication, probably ~15%?
Savoie AND Lambert in the top 3 is indeed frickin outrageous. Maybe not as much as thinking Robertson was superior to Caufield or that Ty Smith will be an all-star player, but still, well done! ;)

For the Caufield/Bratt thing, is that a rhetorical question? I have no idea what the answer is, but like I said maybe this is not the thread for that here. :)

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Joakim Kemell will be a bust.

Noah Östlund will be a top 3 player from the draft. Logan Cooley will be the best.

Conor Geekie will improve his skating in the coming years and turn into a Roope Hintz type player, but even better offensively.

A few years from now, this will be looked back on as a really strong draft.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Lekkerimaki could end up a star. Has a high-end offensive skillset, just needs to bulk up and get a little faster. Would take him top 5.

Kemell doesn't impress me beyond his shot, which is really really good. Wouldn't take him in the top 10.

Jiricek shouldn't be considered a tier above Mintyukov or Korchinski, who should both go top 10 as well.

Lambert shouldn't be drafted until the mid-2nd at least. Brings little beyond speed.

Kase

May 1, 2016
Everyone talks about Wright vs. Slafkovsky for the 1 OA, but this is going to be 2017 draft all over again. Nemec=Heiskanen, Hutson=Makar, Cooley=Pettersson. Also Mintyukov ends up being better than Wright/Slafkovsky.

Casey will be the next Spurgeon i.e. very good two way top pairing dman and arguably the best defensive dman from the draft.

Buchinger will be the next Devon Toews. (not as good offensively as Toews was this season)

Amadeus Lombardi will be the next Bratt. He will not make the NHL as fast as Bratt as he will need more time to bulk up.

Kulich will be the best shutdown center from the draft.

Last edited:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Gauthier 3rd overall to Arizona.

D-mens will be a hot commodity and drafted higher than expected.

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
Pickering will be the better of him and Mateychuk

McGroarty will be a very solid NHL player

Bischel ends up going higher than expected

Jiricek ends up as a midding defenseman prospect

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Wright, Nemec and Jiricek are all franchise players.

At least two of Nazar, Trikozov, Ostlund, Firkus are going to be better than Cooley and Slafkovsky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad