Prospect Info: 2022 8OA, Marco Kasper

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The funny thing about this "He was only 160th in scoring!" comment is, to be top 60 to me is this; 11 more points and Kasper would have been 60th. 15 more points would be 40th. 20 more points would be 22nd in AHL scoring. It's not some weird flex when scoring in that league is clustered so closely and the Griffins were not a very high scoring team outside of Berggren.
His production should have been better, not sure why everyone keeps trying to qualify it. I am happy with the way he ended the year and it seemed a decent developmental year. He had been playing pro hockey before coming over in what some on the board want to say is a better league. I thought he would have better counting stats. I hope he has made the adjustments he needs to this offseason to be more impactful scoring wise in the AHL and forces his way up this season.

He is a good player, the question was always and very much remains after last year just how much offense he has. I think he would be wise to become a PP net front guy as it suits a ton of his strengths and is likely how he provides more offense in NA.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
His production should have been better, not sure why everyone keeps trying to qualify it. I am happy with the way he ended the year and it seemed a decent developmental year. He had been playing pro hockey before coming over in what some on the board want to say is a better league. I thought he would have better counting stats. I hope he has made the adjustments he needs to this offseason to be more impactful scoring wise in the AHL and forces his way up this season.

He is a good player, the question was always and very much remains after last year just how much offense he has. I think he would be wise to become a PP net front guy as it suits a ton of his strengths and is likely how he provides more offense in NA.

Context matters and you’re forgetting that. He was injured to start the year and was playing on the 3rd/4th line for the first 25-30 games. Anyone’s production would suffer in that role. His second half scoring was around .6 per game. His first half scoring was much lower. His average ended up just below .5 ppg.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Context matters and you’re forgetting that. He was injured to start the year and was playing on the 3rd/4th line for the first 25-30 games. Anyone’s production would suffer in that role. His second half scoring was around .6 per game. His first half scoring was much lower. His average ended up just below .5 ppg.
I didn’t forget that or that he was a top 10 pick with higher expectations. Again the question on that is if he had enough offense to be more than Lars Eller. That question remains. I think it is a bummer he was hurt, so was Edvinsson all offseason. So are a lot of guys in hockey.

I think Kasper is a very good player with a bright future. I can think that and still say he left me wanting last year. I want him to kick the door in this season and frankly somewhat expect he will. I think his game translates up beautifully so I don’t really have big worries that he is a useful third line center. I want him to be dynamic in the AHL this year though that should be the challenge. I think this is a big year for his offensive development, I hope he is ready to meet that challenge.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I still think people are thinking too much of Kasper. I've been merging these draft class strength for years now, and 2022 was a poor class.

You put Kasper to 2023 class and he is barely a 1st rounder.

That draft position especially with weak classes will mislead these damn discussions, when expectations are wrong. Same has happened with Zadina and Rasmussen.

Nate Danielson will be superior player versus Kasper and so will probably ASP, from that strongest class dor a while.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I didn’t forget that or that he was a top 10 pick with higher expectations. Again the question on that is if he had enough offense to be more than Lars Eller. That question remains. I think it is a bummer he was hurt, so was Edvinsson all offseason. So are a lot of guys in hockey.

I think Kasper is a very good player with a bright future. I can think that and still say he left me wanting last year. I want him to kick the door in this season and frankly somewhat expect he will. I think his game translates up beautifully so I don’t really have big worries that he is a useful third line center. I want him to be dynamic in the AHL this year though that should be the challenge. I think this is a big year for his offensive development, I hope he is ready to meet that challenge.

The way it broke down for him was like this;

9 points in the first 30 games on the 3rd/4th line while returning from injury.

Then here's his stats when playing 2nd line and getting powerplay time.
20 points the next 30 games
8 points the final 11 games
7 points in 9 playoff games

So that's not a bad offensive development for him.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Now consolidate it and do it for a full year. He needs to be around a point per game next year at that level in my opinion. Like I said I hope he takes that down low spot on the PP. With our current roster and prospects that is how he gets to PP1. He has the talent, play style and puck retrieval skills to make that spot his and become a 50 to 60 point player that way.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I still think people are thinking too much of Kasper. I've been merging these draft class strength for years now, and 2022 was a poor class.

You put Kasper to 2023 class and he is barely a 1st rounder.

That draft position especially with weak classes will mislead these damn discussions, when expectations are wrong. Same has happened with Zadina and Rasmussen.

Nate Danielson will be superior player versus Kasper and so will probably ASP, from that strongest class dor a while.
I don't usually agree with you, but this is pretty much it. Kasper's is going to be a slightly better Veleno offensively.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

I don't think he played in the beginning with Berggren and Mazur.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Now consolidate it and do it for a full year. He needs to be around a point per game next year at that level in my opinion. Like I said I hope he takes that down low spot on the PP. With our current roster and prospects that is how he gets to PP1. He has the talent, play style and puck retrieval skills to make that spot his and become a 50 to 60 point player that way.
I was going to reply to the posts you did... and more or less say what you did... but thanks for saving me the time, lol.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I didn’t forget that or that he was a top 10 pick with higher expectations. Again the question on that is if he had enough offense to be more than Lars Eller.
For context, Eller has 1000+GP in the NHL. 400+ points. he's probably around ~10th in a re-draft.

I think Kasper has more tools & intangibles and is trending better, but expectations should also be kept realistic. I'm a huge fan of Kasper and even I wouldn't view a 15 year NHL career as a reliable 3rd line center as the worst of outcomes.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
It's strange to me how harsh people are being on Kasper. These are people who have had 5+ years of excuses for Zadina and Rasmussen. But God forbid Kasper need another year in GR or he's a bust.
Kasper doesn't need another year in GR . He is NHL ready and remember when we drafted him his projection was 3 or 2 line center. Think about more physical Fillpula , so he can't be bust like Zadina who supposed to be first line wing .

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
So if you even had a chance at playing in the league after having a knee surgery over the summer how much would you score in a season there Wayne Gretzky?
Which is the reason why he needs to start in GR. He hasn't even hit his AHL potential yet. I haven't declared him a bust, just saying he hasn't shown enough to be promoted. I also expect him to gain some bulk the next couple of summers like Raymond did.

He just needs to be better than Joey/Copp, so it's a pretty low bar.

Kasper doesn't need another year in GR . He is NHL ready and remember when we drafted him his projection was 3 or 2 line center. Think about more physical Fillpula , so he can't be bust like Zadina who supposed to be first line wing .
Rushing a prospect that isn't ready is how they wind up busting. He may not need a full year, but he will be in GR until Christmas. I'll place a bet on it. Considering Burger spent almost the full season in GR, you know Stevie isn't gonna rush Kasper.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Which is the reason why he needs to start in GR. He hasn't even hit his AHL potential yet. I haven't declared him a bust, just saying he hasn't shown enough to be promoted. I also expect him to gain some bulk the next couple of summers like Raymond did.

Rushing a prospect that isn't ready is how they wind up busting. He may not need a full year, but he will be in GR until Christmas. I'll place a bet on it. Considering Burger spent almost the full season in GR, you know Stevie isn't gonna rush Kasper.
I agree about rushing, Raymond was rushed and now he's going to collect big check.
I like how Berggren and Johansson been managed, one or both will be traded for pinatas coming season.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

Berggren and Kasper aren't remotely close to the same type of player though.

Now, they might hold him back for waiver purposes, but he's 100% a more complete NHL level player than Berggren.

Last edited:

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Berggren and Kasper aren't remotely close to the same type of player thought.

Now, they might hold him back for waiver purposes, but he's 100% a more complete NHL level player than Berggren.
Pretty sure Kasper already better defensively than Tarasenko

1878rgw

Jun 29, 2017
He is on the Team Austria roster for the Olympic qualifying tournament, while Rossi has to stay in Minnesota to work on his game he could be the #1 C of the team.

jaster

7/16" hollow or bust
Jun 8, 2007
He won't be dynamic offensively but will be much better than Veleno on hockey IQ alone. Veleno is a pretty short measuring stick.
This. Joey Stomps-a-lot is low-IQ and, frankly, mostly sucks. Kasper will mostly not suck. He may not have the upside of a lot of our other top prospects, but I expect him to be an impactful middle-6er.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad