Prospect Info: Owen Beck

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Not a bad comp, there might be something to it!
Beck has a better shot and is a more dynamic skater. But I think all of us would be more than pleased if Beck's career in the NHL matches that of Keane's. After watching Beck closely over the past two years, I think many here are underestimating Beck's offensive upside.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Anyone remember Mike Keane? I feel like (hoping) Beck may become a modern day version...

I mentioned Keane as a comparable a while ago even though they are quite different as Beck is much faster and a better shooter as well as being a center. From a role/value perspective however I see them as similar in that they will be leaders who play in the middle six who shut down top lines and chip in offensively while providing tons of grit and heart. Keane was a very valuable player despite not having huge numbers. Now, if Florian Xhekaj can become our next Mike McPhee that would be another huge bonus.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I mentioned Keane as a comparable a while ago even though they are quite different as Beck is much faster and a better shooter as well as being a center. From a role/value perspective however I see them as similar in that they will be leaders who play in the middle six who shut down top lines and chip in offensively while providing tons of grit and heart. Keane was a very valuable player despite not having huge numbers. Now, if Florian Xhekaj can become our next Mike McPhee that would be another huge bonus.
We should model Anderson to play like McPhee. He has the size, speed and chip in 15 goals.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Does he have a realistic shot at making the team this year or is he destined for Laval?
Beck has the skating and pro skill set to play in the NHL. But I think that Hughes will want to showcase Dvorak in order increase his trade value. That effort may serve as a short term roadblock for Beck’s immediately making the team. But should that trade be realized or an injury occur, Beck will be on the team.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Beck has a better shot and is a more dynamic skater. But I think all of us would be more than pleased if Beck's career in the NHL matches that of Keane's. After watching Beck closely over the past two years, I think many here are underestimating Beck's offensive upside.
I was thinking more of his potential Keane-like heart and soul role on the team, that's an aspect he really turned up during the memorial cup. Beck definitely has a lot more tools to work with offensively!

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Does he have a realistic shot at making the team this year or is he destined for Laval?
Not with a healthy roster, as Anderson, Gallagher, and Dvorak take up an entire line, and are not waiver eligible. I believe that it will be challenging for Hughes to trade them.

But injuries are common, and at that point it depends on who is injured and how Beck, Kidney, Heineken, Mesar, Xhekaj, Farrell, and Tuch are playing at that point in time.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I wonder if we'll see the beer line at some point.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-22-at-4.54.20-PM.png
large.png
crop

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Not with a healthy roster, as Anderson, Gallagher, and Dvorak take up an entire line, and are not waiver eligible. I believe that it will be challenging for Hughes to trade them.

But injuries are common, and at that point it depends on who is injured and how Beck, Kidney, Heineken, Mesar, Xhekaj, Farrell, and Tuch are playing at that point in time.
Dvorak is such a waste, he could be so much better if he played a competitive game. As for the other two, there is little hope.

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I don’t see Beck being anywhere close to Keane as a comparable player/prospect but that’s just me.

Keane was an undrafted forward that came out of Moose Jaw and was a vicious little pitbull of a player. He was listed (generously) as 5’10, was more like 5’8, but he backed down from nobody. He would throw piston like left hands, and usually left his opponents wishing they’d avoided him completely. He’d do all the dirty work, block shots, kill penalties, play physical, score the goals that came from pure hard work. His teammates loved him, he was made captain after they traded Muller, but was stupid enough to be blunt/honest when he said he wasn’t going to learn French and didn’t think it was important. Was actually ADDED to the trade where Colorado were handed the greatest goaltender of all time, and the Habs got nothing…and went on to win the cup there. And in Dallas later. Only a handful of guys have ever won cups for 3 teams, but Mike Keane was always a winner.

Beck is a much more talented and polished player. He has a howitzer for a shot, and vision/hockey IQ that Keane simply didn’t possess. His controlled zone exits and entries are things of beauty, ensuring his team is moving and controlling the puck in all situations when he’s on the ice. He distributes the puck quickly, accurately, and on the tape. Beck is also a Center, that simply dominates the draw, where Keane played the wing. Beck is simply a better player in every aspect. While he also plays a hard nosed style, he isn’t anything like Keane as a player.

If I had to compare him to a former Hab? I’d offer up Ralph Backstrom. Backstrom was an incredible third line center (he wasn’t beating out Belliveau or Henri Richard), but could have played on a top line anywhere else. Won 6 cups as a Hab, often underrated and unappreciated by many. Extremely intelligent individual, he wasn’t as physical as Beck, but played a similar style.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I like Beck. Should be able to be a solid part of the PK, win important face-offs while playing a solid 200 ft game. I'm not sure how much offensive he will have in the NHL though.
The other intangible with Beck is he is a gamer. Bigger the game the better he plays. You win with guys like this

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Beck and Kapanen are going to push for a spot this camp.

They are already much better than Dvorak - Pezetta - Anderson etc..

Both centers, both great two way players, both great on faceoffs, both big game players.

Reactions: WinterLion

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I don’t see Beck being anywhere close to Keane as a comparable player/prospect but that’s just me.

Keane was an undrafted forward that came out of Moose Jaw and was a vicious little pitbull of a player. He was listed (generously) as 5’10, was more like 5’8, but he backed down from nobody. He would throw piston like left hands, and usually left his opponents wishing they’d avoided him completely. He’d do all the dirty work, block shots, kill penalties, play physical, score the goals that came from pure hard work. His teammates loved him, he was made captain after they traded Muller, but was stupid enough to be blunt/honest when he said he wasn’t going to learn French and didn’t think it was important. Was actually ADDED to the trade where Colorado were handed the greatest goaltender of all time, and the Habs got nothing…and went on to win the cup there. And in Dallas later. Only a handful of guys have ever won cups for 3 teams, but Mike Keane was always a winner.

Beck is a much more talented and polished player. He has a howitzer for a shot, and vision/hockey IQ that Keane simply didn’t possess. His controlled zone exits and entries are things of beauty, ensuring his team is moving and controlling the puck in all situations when he’s on the ice. He distributes the puck quickly, accurately, and on the tape. Beck is also a Center, that simply dominates the draw, where Keane played the wing. Beck is simply a better player in every aspect. While he also plays a hard nosed style, he isn’t anything like Keane as a player.

If I had to compare him to a former Hab? I’d offer up Ralph Backstrom. Backstrom was an incredible third line center (he wasn’t beating out Belliveau or Henri Richard), but could have played on a top line anywhere else. Won 6 cups as a Hab, often underrated and unappreciated by many. Extremely intelligent individual, he wasn’t as physical as Beck, but played a similar style.
Excellent post on Ralph Backstrom who was one of the most underrated players of his era.

The log jam of Beliveau and Richard at center really hindered Backstrom's opportunity to showcase his offensive capabilities. Backstrom was an excellent skater and, in my opinion was one of the few players of the mid to late sixties who could play today and excel. Beck plays a heavier game, has more offensive skills and has a much better shot than Backstrom. Both are superior skaters. Backstrom was mistakenly omitted from being selected to the Team Canada (NHL version) that played in the famous 1972 Summit Series team where his strong skating ability would have really helped a team that at times had trouble coping with the Soviets' speed. That error was corrected in 1974 when Backstrom was one of Team Canada's (WHA version) strongest players.

Backstrom lived in Van Horne/Wilderton area of Montreal about three buildings from me when I lived in Montreal and I often saw him and Red Berenson, who also lived in the same building . Backstrom always had a big smile on his face and was polite to everyone, willingly signing autographs for anyone who asked.

The biggest positive effect that Backstrom had on the Canadiens' fortunes was not his play on the ice, but his trade to the Los Angeles Kings in the 1970/1971 season. In what can only be described as a truly Machiavellian move, Sam Pollack, who had earlier secured the then woeful Oakland Golden Seals' first round draft choice in the 1971 draft, traded Backstrom to the then equally woeful Kings to insure that the Kings finished ahead of the Golden Seals in the standings and guaranteeing Montreal would have the first pick in the upcoming draft. The prize of that draft? Guy Lafleur.

Some general managers play chess and others play checkers.

Last edited:

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
He needs to play with that « Sam Bennett » toughness in his game. Thats what we need and that what will seperate himself from the others in the Pro.

He has it in his game. He just needs to use it every game.

Reactions: jrom and Andy

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
We should model Anderson to play like McPhee. He has the size, speed and chip in 15 goals.
Yeah but McPhee had the talent to play on a first line.
Courtnall Carbonneau and McPhee were one of if not the best line in hockey for a couple of seasons.
Even though they had a defensive posture They got the top minutes and gave us great offense.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu

You really have some memory of these players. I'm 61 and I don't remember Backstrom. You certainly live up to your name. I do remember how Pat Burns adored Keaner though: exactly his type of player.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
He needs to play with that « Sam Bennett » toughness in his game. Thats what we need and that what will seperate himself from the others in the Pro.

He has it in his game. He just needs to use it every game.
I think he has a bit of that in him. Memorial cup finals he crushed Easton Cowan and he also had a moment after one of his goals where he cellied right in front of the other teams bench in a pest kind of way.

Reactions: dralaf and Hannibal

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I think he has a bit of that in him. Memorial cup finals he crushed Easton Cowan and he also had a moment after one of his goals where he cellied right in front of the other teams bench in a pest kind of way.

Exactly! He needs to use it more often.

Reactions: badfish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad