Prospect Info: [2022 - 33rd] Owen Beck

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Newhook is a winger who will take the odd faceoff and can spell an injured player but given the talent on the horizon he's no center.
As far as people saying we are deep at center that just isn't the case. Equating warm bodies to depth is a Bergevin take.
Both Carbonneau and Damphousse agree we are actually weak at center.
Dach is still unproven and both Dvorak and Evans are placeholders at best.
Our true depth at center has not yet arrived.
Amen. Either peeps forgot what nhl-best centers look like for being too young, or are blinded by an upgrade on Desharnais. Even with Koivu and prime Plekanec center was not a key strength at all.

Suzuki has become a 1st line center, but not a top 10 nhl one. then it’s either completely unproven, mediocre or prospects. We love potential on here and cross it for results me thinks.

Beck making the team would already be sweet, does not mean he’d be miles above replacement on the 3rd/4th line.

Reactions: bsl and Rapala

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Loved me some Keane some Skrudland and some Odeline. Had three of those 4 western Provinces covered. :laugh:
Back when the west was tough.
The rural west is still plenty tough. Larger urban centers not so much.

Reactions: Eegs and Deebs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Can't say I disagree with this. But, if we trade Dvo, he could get that role.

Two situations with different management strategies...

1) Habs fight for playoffs and we are not sellers at the deadline. Beck gets a few games here and there but 90% AHL time. If we are fighting for playoffs, our management will ride the vets (like or not).

2) Habs fade come TDL and we are sellers. Beck gets a full time job from TDL to end of season.

Reactions: waitin425

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada

1) Habs fight for playoffs and we are not sellers at the deadline. Beck gets a few games here and there but 90% AHL time. If we are fighting for playoffs, our management will ride the vets (like or not).

2) Habs fade come TDL and we are sellers. Beck gets a full time job from TDL to end of season.
It's also possible we move Newhook to 3rd centre and Evans to 4th centre, depending on who is grabbing spots on the wings.

I like both your options though, and I really hope for big gains with Beck this year. We will get a glimpse early how he is managing Laval and where he fits in terms of call ups.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's also possible we move Newhook to 3rd centre and Evans to 4th centre, depending on who is grabbing spots on the wings.

I like both your options though, and I really hope for big gains with Beck this year. We will get a glimpse early how he is managing Laval and where he fits in terms of call ups.

I'm expecting some injuries from this young roster that will come into this season hot with lots of energy. Lots of competition on our roster as well so I do expect to see some injuries. Hopefully not long term to any key core piece. Dach was extremely deflating last year by going down early.

Reactions: waitin425

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

If they ride the vets, the team won't make the playoffs.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
Sure... but why does a contending team want a player who can't stay healthy and has played exactly once in the playoffs in 8 seasons?

No team is paying that for Dvorak right now, unless he has a healthy and solid year.

Never underestimate the power of the contract year, I kinda expect him to shift multiple gears effort wise

A production rate of 0.5 P/G would not suprise me from Dvorak

Reactions: malcb33

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Sure... but why does a contending team want a player who can't stay healthy and has played exactly once in the playoffs in 8 seasons?

No team is paying that for Dvorak right now, unless he has a healthy and solid year.

A team will pay for Dvorak - teams are ALWAYS looking for centre depth when the playoffs are around the corner. It's not anywhere near what we would have paid to acquire him, but the only person in the world who was giving a 1st for Dvorak was MB and he kicked in another 2nd round pick because he got pantsed.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
A team will pay for Dvorak - teams are ALWAYS looking for centre depth when the playoffs are around the corner. It's not anywhere near what we would have paid to acquire him, but the only person in the world who was giving a 1st for Dvorak was MB and he kicked in another 2nd round pick because he got pantsed.
I think he's tradeable for sure. But not for a second. Maybe a 3rd if we're really lucky, more likely something like a 4th+6th.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think he's tradeable for sure. But not for a second. Maybe a 3rd if we're really lucky, more likely something like a 4th+6th.

Dvo scored at a pace of 48 points over 82 games his first season with us.

I think he can only put up thos kinds of numbers if he plays wing with Dach and Laine. If he does, I think that maximizes his trade value, rather than him playing center on a mediocre 3rd line. I don't see a Dvo centered 3rd line with wingers from among Roy, Armia, Anderson, and Gallagher producing.

I seem the only one to have I, the following lines, both to have 3 good lines, and to maximize UFAs Dvo and Armia:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Laine - Dach - Dvorak
Armia - Newhook - Roy
Gallagher - Evan's - Anderson
Pez

That's 4 good lines imo. And I think Dvo has the skills to hang with Laine and Dach.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005

I think he can only put up thos kinds of numbers if he plays wing with Dach and Laine. If he does, I think that maximizes his trade value, rather than him playing center on a mediocre 3rd line. I don't see a Dvo centered 3rd line with wingers from among Roy, Armia, Anderson, and Gallagher producing.

I seem the only one to have I, the following lines, both to have 3 good lines, and to maximize UFAs Dvo and Armia:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Laine - Dach - Dvorak
Armia - Newhook - Roy
Pez

That's 4 good lines imo. And I think Dvo has the skills to hang with Laine and Dach.
I would say there's about zero chance Dvorak starts there. Maybe even less chance than that.

And again, I don't think he's a bad player. But there's no way he's getting a 2nd, IMO.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I would say there's about zero chance Dvorak starts there. Maybe even less chance than that.

And again, I don't think he's a bad player. But there's no way he's getting a 2nd, IMO.

I'm not predicting where he starts. I'm talking about where is best. MSL is the guy who had Anderson start with Cole and Nick lo ast year, and Slaf buried in the bottom six for what seemed like an eternity - while I hollered for Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf. At least eventually he got it right. This year I'll be hollering for Laine-Dach-Dvo.

I highly doubt MSL starts with Dvo with Laine and Dach. But, if Newhook isn't the one, that is if Newhook doesn't start there or Newhook doesn't work, it may eventually click in MSL's mind that Armia-Newhook-Roy/Gallagher is a much better line than any Dvo centered 3rd line, and that Dvo has the skills to play with Laine and Dach, unlike Anderson and Gallagher.

Armia and Roy will probably get chances if Newhook doesn't work out. But they're so good together with Newhook.

Reactions: BLONG7

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
What are the chances Dach plays W this year?

That could make things a bit more interesting for Beck.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

If Beck makes his case in camp ir Laval, he'll get his chance.
But Beck doesn't have best hands. I see his ceiling as Danault. And that may take some time to reach.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Montreal paid a lot for Dach. They going to give him every opportunity possible to be center. If he gets injured again, 50/50 chance, I think Newhook moves into his slot not Beck.

May have to play Dach on right point or wing on powerplay though. He's terrible on faceoffs. You want increased puck possession in offensive zone.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

In theory he could, but I don't think he's played anything but center since his U15 days (someone could correct me on that). It would be asking a whole lot from the guy, especially coming back from an extra long time off from injury. You want him to find his comfort zone as fast as possible, not have him process a new position.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Montreal paid a lot for Dach. They going to give him every opportunity possible to be center. If he gets injured again, 50/50 chance, I think Newhook moves into his slot not Beck.

May have to play Dach on right point or wing on powerplay though. He's terrible on faceoffs. You want increased puck possession in offensive zone.
Newhook would replace Dach if he got hurt again. Beck might be brought up to centre the 3rd line then. They might give Beck time on the 2nd line if they were out of playoff contention.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Beck's 'natural' time to make the team is next year when Dvo is gone. I feel like he'd have to have a killer camp to play right away.

It's the same for a lot of our prospects though (even on D). Not because our team is so good, but because of the amount of 1 ways we've got. There's just not enough space right now.

But that's fine. We have the most injury-prone team in the history of hockey, it seems (reverse jinx). Whether by merit or injuries, these guys will get their chances.

Reactions: Eegs and Redux91

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
I'm not predicting where he starts. I'm talking about where is best. MSL is the guy who had Anderson start with Cole and Nick lo ast year, and Slaf buried in the bottom six for what seemed like an eternity - while I hollered for Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf. At least eventually he got it right. This year I'll be hollering for Laine-Dach-Dvo.

I highly doubt MSL starts with Dvo with Laine and Dach. But, if Newhook isn't the one, that is if Newhook doesn't start there or Newhook doesn't work, it may eventually click in MSL's mind that Armia-Newhook-Roy/Gallagher is a much better line than any Dvo centered 3rd line, and that Dvo has the skills to play with Laine and Dach, unlike Anderson and Gallagher.

Armia and Roy will probably get chances if Newhook doesn't work out. But they're so good together with Newhook.
Newhook will most definitely start on the 2nd line, IMO. And I think he'll do well there.

If we were going to play Dvo on the wing, which lessens his value a bit, IMO... then I'd rather he just play on Beck's wing, so that if Beck is struggling they can swap at times.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
In theory he could, but I don't think he's played anything but center since his U15 days (someone could correct me on that). It would be asking a whole lot from the guy, especially coming back from an extra long time off from injury. You want him to find his comfort zone as fast as possible, not have him process a new position.
Dach’s time as winger on the top line with Suzuki and Caufield was notable. So I wouldn’t worry much about a transition, but playing him where he’s most comfortable would be preferred.

Beck will have a tough time getting past Dach, Newhook, Dvorak, and Evans for a role in the middle-6. I’d start him in Laval with big minutes and see how he performs as a call up. There are a lot of opportunities in Laval to work on leveling up his offensive abilities. Not many as a 4th liner.

Reactions: bsl

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Laine - Dach - Dvorak
Armia - Newhook - Roy
Pez

I'll be extremely pleased when you stop trying to put Dvorak in the top six.
He'll never play there end of story.
He didn't play there when we were weaker and he certainly is not going to play there now that were are deeper.
Dvorak will be fighting Evans for a 3C start.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'll be extremely pleased when you stop trying to put Dvorak in the top six.
He'll never play there end of story.
He didn't play there when we were weaker and he certainly is not going to play there now that were are deeper.
Dvorak will be fighting Evans for a 3C start.
You need to be worried about your ideas and I'll worry about mine. Don't let someone else's perspective please you or displease you.

If for no other reason, we need other perspectives to keep us from being stuck in our thinking. And don't worry, no one in a position to make Habs decisions will be influenced by my thinking.

Newhook will most definitely start on the 2nd line, IMO. And I think he'll do well there.

If we were going to play Dvo on the wing, which lessens his value a bit, IMO... then I'd rather he just play on Beck's wing, so that if Beck is struggling they can swap at times.
Playing Dvo on the wing could lessen his value for sure. But if the production is vastly different, then it at least helps it.

Remember Dvo produced at a pace of 48 points over 82 games his first year with us, before the injuries started. It was considered a disappointment because a) Fans' expectations were unrealistic and b) he just wasn't that good defensively, and many assumed he'd be just as good defensively as Danault, because they took Danault for granted.

Reactions: junyab

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad