Prospect Info: Owen Beck

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I really like Beck and I think Simon Snake Boisvert isn't right about saying that if Beck is the 3rd C for Habs, MTL have a bad team.

Beck is a very good hockey player and I believe that he can become a 3C stud.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I doubt Newhook will be at centre unless Dach goes down again.
Newhook is a winger who will take the odd faceoff and can spell an injured player but given the talent on the horizon he's no center.
As far as people saying we are deep at center that just isn't the case. Equating warm bodies to depth is a Bergevin take.
Both Carbonneau and Damphousse agree we are actually weak at center.
Dach is still unproven and both Dvorak and Evans are placeholders at best.
Our true depth at center has not yet arrived.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Beck and Kapanen are going to push for a spot this camp.

They are already much better than Dvorak - Pezetta - Anderson etc..

Both centers, both great two way players, both great on faceoffs, both big game players.

Every year I read that X is already better than Z, because Z sucks in the NHL, but then X proceed to bust... :popcorn:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Excellent post on Ralph Backstrom who was one of the most underrated players of his era.

The log jam of Beliveau and Richard at center really hindered Backstrom's opportunity to showcase his offensive capabilities. Backstrom was an excellent skater and, in my opinion was one of the few players of the mid to late sixties who could play today and excel. Beck plays a heavier game, has more offensive skills and has a much better shot than Backstrom. Both are superior skaters. Backstrom was mistakenly omitted from being selected to the Team Canada (NHL version) that played in the famous 1972 Summit Series team where his strong skating ability would have really helped a team that at times had trouble coping with the Soviets' speed. That error was corrected in 1974 when Backstrom was one of Team Canada's (WHA version) strongest players.

Backstrom lived in Van Horne/Wilderton area of Montreal about three buildings from me when I lived in Montreal and I often saw him and Red Berenson, who also lived in the same building . Backstrom always had a big smile on his face and was polite to everyone, willingly signing autographs for anyone who asked.

The biggest positive effect that Backstrom had on the Canadiens' fortunes was not his play on the ice, but his trade to the Los Angeles Kings in the 1970/1971 season. In what can only be described as a truly Machiavellian move, Sam Pollack, who had earlier secured the then woeful Oakland Golden Seals' first round draft choice in the 1971 draft, traded Backstrom to the then equally woeful Kings to insure that the Kings finished ahead of the Golden Seals in the standings and guaranteeing Montreal would have the first pick in the upcoming draft. The prize of that draft? Guy Lafleur.

Some general managers play chess and others play checkers.
I remember Backstrom. Everything like you said. I remember he played well against us one year in finals.

Didn't he start the roller blade craze of early '90s?

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I remember Backstrom. Everything like you said. I remember he played well against us one year in finals.

Yes he was one of the first proponents of the sport and actually served as the Commissioner of Roller Blade International.

Reactions: Guess

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Newhook is a winger who will take the odd faceoff and can spell an injured player but given the talent on the horizon he's no center.
As far as people saying we are deep at center that just isn't the case. Equating warm bodies to depth is a Bergevin take.
Both Carbonneau and Damphousse agree we are actually weak at center.
Dach is still unproven and both Dvorak and Evans are placeholders at best.
Our true depth at center has not yet arrived.
I agree. That is why the one player I would try to add is a forward who can play centre if needed.

Reactions: Rapala

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

The Black Hawks almost beat the Canadiens and a lot of that was due to Backstrom. Dryden may have saved one game making an incredible save on him.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I mentioned Keane as a comparable a while ago even though they are quite different as Beck is much faster and a better shooter as well as being a center. From a role/value perspective however I see them as similar in that they will be leaders who play in the middle six who shut down top lines and chip in offensively while providing tons of grit and heart. Keane was a very valuable player despite not having huge numbers. Now, if Florian Xhekaj can become our next Mike McPhee that would be another huge bonus.
Keane was also tough as nails.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The Black Hawks almost beat the Canadiens and a lot of that was due to Backstrom. Dryden may have saved one game making an incredible save on him.
It was a good 6 game series with the wild 8-7 game as very memorable. I watched every game and never thought the Hawks really stood a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad