Prospect Info: [2022 - 26th] Filip Mesar (OHL - Kitchener Rangers)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
My argument being destroyed about being able to make your teamates better is using 1 name and not make any relations to his teamates? And using his 1st AHL year to prove what? Huh? Yep, 20-year old who have 100 points do not always make great pro players.....Geez, that,s a revelation.

Liam Greentree. This year's prospect eligible with a terrible team. Look at even Luchenko. Look at any 20 year old playing on bad teams.

There is no world where a 20 year old should need better player in the OHL to make him look good. That does not exist. At that level, he should be able to make others look better than they actually are. Not the other way around.

Yeah he did. And if you didn't see him the way I did with my own eyes, just watch the gamesheets.
How many games did he play with them?

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Didn't know he specified that in his interview...or did he. And watch his first 10 games. Maybe not regularly, but he has quite a few games when he's also paired with Rehkopf. Again, it's excuses. There's quite few 20 years old in this league that are able to make their teamates look better. Teamates that will never eventually make it. Somehow, for Mesar, it was detrimental to his game.

Anyway, I'm REALLY eager to see that in Laval. How he'll be able to finally show his stuff OUTSIDE of powerplays.
He's not going to excel in the AHL, poor teammates. He needs top shelf NHL players to play with to bring out the juice within.
Sarcastic Sadness Emoticon

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
There is no world where a 20 year old should need better player in the OHL to make him look good. That does not exist. At that level, he should be able to make others look better than they actually are. Not the other way around.
a playmaker will make the plays and provide opportunities to his teammates to score goals and if there's no one on the other side to putt the puck into the net, no one gets rewarded.

I brought up Pinelli because, he's a guy who played on the same team as Mesar and who was scoring lots of goals and "took over games" just like some people want. Not only did he score lots of points but he's got the hockey IQ of a potato... the symmetrical opposite of what Mesar.

We've seen Mesar play at camp 2 years in a row and we all saw how good he was... i really do not understand your hate towards him. He's good, he's skilled, a leader, a straight shooter... captain material, what more do you want?

Last edited:
Reactions: HankyZetts

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
He was brought in to make life easier for Slafkovsky. To have a friend around in a new culture. A classic Canadiens reach that was based on off-ice intagibles. Similar to a very strong handshake or winner's stare.

And if his presence had anything to do with Slaf's turnaround, in that case it's good enough. As a hockey player he's an overaged bust playing in kids league. But if he is Rose Nylund to Juraj's Dorothy Zbornak, I wish him productive AHL career and even a brief NHL visit where they can play few minutes on the same line.

Reactions: themilosh

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
I really dislike when we get these short and often inflammatory excerpts of an interview in another language relayed back to the English speaking world on Twitter

This often happens to Russian players, but this time it looks like Mesar was on the receiving end. The tweet has gathered a lot of attention and might have even affected Mesar's reputation and I don't even know if he said what's reported. I don't know the context either

Someone also said, I think it was @Miller Time , that North American sensibilities are let's say heightened compared to those of western (especially Netherland and Belgium here) and central Europeans. I wouldn't be thrilled about this if I was Mesar, but it might be a lesson to always play the corporate tape no matter the time and place

Reactions: jrom

CHwest

May 24, 2011
a playmaker will make the plays and provide opportunities to his teammates to score goals and if there's no one on the other side to putt the puck into the net, no one gets rewarded.

I brought up Pinelli because, he's a guy who played on the same team as Mesar and who was scoring lots of goals and "took over games" just like some people want. Not only did he score lots of points but he's got the hockey IQ of a potato... the symmetrical opposite of what Mesar.

We've seen Mesar play at camp 2 years in a row and we all saw how good he was... i really do not understand your hate towards him. He's good, he's skilled, a leader, a straight shooter... captain material, what more do you want?
First you say he's mailing it in because he's not challenged, then you say he's captain material? As far apart as the eat is from the west.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
First you say he's mailing it in because he's not challenged, then you say he's captain material? As far apart as the eat is from the west.

When did i say he wasn't challenged?

He 1000% is captain material, his national team seems to be giving more respect than we do thats for sure.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Maybe a more accurate translation was Mesar saying he wasn't patient enough to wait for his teammate to get into position, not that they were too slow. Who knows. Anyone taking it as what was written isn't understanding you can't just swap a word for a word while translating.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
He was brought in to make life easier for Slafkovsky. To have a friend around in a new culture. A classic Canadiens reach that was based on off-ice intagibles. Similar to a very strong handshake or winner's stare.

And if his presence had anything to do with Slaf's turnaround, in that case it's good enough. As a hockey player he's an overaged bust playing in kids league. But if he is Rose Nylund to Juraj's Dorothy Zbornak, I wish him productive AHL career and even a brief NHL visit where they can play few minutes on the same line.

Like they needed Mesar to help the poor first overall pick who really needed his life easier.

They drafted him because they thought he was BPA and it looks like a blunder. Common occurence at #26, no big deal. 2022 draft is still stellar and the best since 2007.

Reactions: Sam de Mtl and jrom

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Like they needed Mesar to help the poor first overall pick who really needed his life easier.

They drafted him because they thought he was BPA and it looks like a blunder. Common occurence at #26, no big deal. 2022 draft is still stellar and the best since 2007.

He was a 2.0 PPG for like 20 games straight

CHwest

May 24, 2011
When did i say he wasn't challenged?

He 1000% is captain material, his national team seems to be giving more respect than we do thats for sure.
Many times you said he was to good for Junior hockey and was bored.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I have Kitchener Rangers season tickets and have watched Mesar many times.

For starters he is 100% a pass first type of player. I’m not sure what his power play assist totals are but I am sure that he got a big chunk of his points that way.

This past year the Rangers really only had three skilled forwards until the trade deadline when Sale was brought in. Mesar and Sale were glued to each other but Sale had a real lack of interest. Very lazy hockey player who put forth very little effort.

Over the course of the last two years he has improved a lot. He went from being a winger to a center. He was killing penalties the second half of this past year.

He is great at zone entries but changed up his game plan in doing so. His first year he would enter the offensive zone and then keep it and go deep. Defenders would angle him out and he would skate with it to the corner and then behind the net and circle to find a passing lane. This year he would enter the zone and have more of that Mitch Marner / Patrick Kane style where he would slow the game down and try to hit a pass. The Rangers lacked skill upfront except for a few players. They didn’t really give him too good of passing lanes. Now you can look at it that Mesar didn’t move to where there was a passing lane and see it both ways.

I can’t even tell you how many times that he set his teammates up for scoring chances and they didn’t capitalize.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
Carboneau is a HOF and had no problems throwing the whole team under the bus vs detroit.

Plenty of people through others under the bus when it was warranted

Therrien through our only superstar payer the last 30 years under the bus and was rewarded for it.

Even if it was lost in transalation Mesar is 150% right on the money, its exactly what was going on, specially in the first year.. just ask any one who saw him play, me included and who ever you value their opinion to confirm.

We should actually be very happy with these comments because its certifying us that Mesar is a leader, he knew he was playing with scrubs and despite that he decided to suck it up and do what he was told to do for a second year in a row.
I agree. I've watched probably 30 games of mesar over the last couple of years and this did happen quite a bit. He reads and sees the ice extreme well and is able to feather passes into areas where his teammates were slow to react.
I personally didn't think going back to Jr this year was the best decision but I also don't think he was going to get the proper minutes in laval. Damn if you do and damn if you don't situation.
He will have a clean slate in Laval and it's up to him to make the most of it. I'm hopefully because he has alot of skill but definitely a boom or bust prospect.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Many times you said he was to good for Junior hockey and was bored.

i never said he wasn't challenged... London was a solid challenge and a few other teams but for the most part the OHL was below his skill level. Im sure you saw that clip of him entering the O zone alone and deking through 4 players?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

1 goal 15 assists. I swear I read people saying Mesar had a great playoffs. And those 15 assists...somebody converted them?

A leader...captain material? Where is that coming from?

Reactions: mdk

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He's still a very talented player, if he doesn't work out, he doesn't work out. It was a bet on a very good skill set.

Even Dallas has their Dellandreas.

Not every 1st rounder makes it. That draft will look good regardless if Mesar hits.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
I hope he’s ready for next season because there will be a lot of pressure on him to perform in the AHL.

The more time goes on the less runaway he will have. Hopefully he will be in a situation where his offensive tools can shine but he will also need to work very hard.

Success will, most if the time, come from hard work and right mindset. It’s important to have accountability and understand that having success starts with him not teammates or unfavourable situations.

• Haha
Reactions: Natey

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
1 goal 15 assists. I swear I read people saying Mesar had a great playoffs. And those 15 assists...somebody converted them?

A leader...captain material? Where is that coming from?

Again, playmakers create plays... he's not a natural scorer.. hes undeniably a chance generating machine

Leader? look at his WJC, he had an A on his jersey... before the tourny they said he was going to be the captain

• Haha
Reactions: bcv

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I've been much more bullish on Mešar's trajectory than I thought I would have been. I think all those excuses trotted out for other prospects and their struggles really does apply to him: huge culture change, huge sporting culture change, massive difference in play-development between the Slovak pro league and the OHL, etc.

Basically put, he was thrown into a totally different environment. He might come out of it a much better player than he would have otherwise. I don't blindly trust him or the Habs but I think we've got nothing to worry about just yet.

he has alot of skill but definitely a boom or bust prospect.
This is exactly the kind of player we should have drafted with the 26OA in a rebuild and I'm glad we did. If he can endure the physicality of NA-sized ice, he will be a NHL player.

Skala24

Apr 16, 2015
Slovakia
Maybe a more accurate translation was Mesar saying he wasn't patient enough to wait for his teammate to get into position, not that they were too slow. Who knows. Anyone taking it as what was written isn't understanding you can't just swap a word for a word while translating.

No, Štefan Bugan translation was proper. Mesar should avoid criticize the teammates and work on himself. I know he is young and it was frustrating to spend 2y between juniors after play a man hockey. Now he will get a chance to prove his hockey qualities and i wish him all the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad