Prospect Info: [2022 - 26th] Filip Mesar (OHL - Kitchener Rangers)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I hope they put him in a good spot with the Rockets.
he deserve a chance on the second line playing with decents players.
Let him play with some Heinemen, Roy, Farrell, Anderson
Heinemen, Roy, Farrell, Anderson, Mesar, Simoneau, Kidney, and Pitlick. A lot of young talent for the top 9.

Hopefully they get to play with a couple of vets that can be great in the AHL, like Hoffman and Armia.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Hopefully he was underwhelming in the O because the team as a whole was and he wasn't interested, but it wasn't a great pick at the time and nothing has been done to change it.

Reactions: Wats

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
Sending Mesar to Kitchener was a mistake to start with. That place was a dumpster fire that caused Mesar to regress. He barely looks like the player he was at last year rookie/training camp.
I would tend to agree. He went from being a play driver to floating around. The Mesar I saw, as the year progressed, was a player who acquired bad habits playing junior hockey.

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
I beg to differ, his D+1 was indeed nothing to write home about but it seems everyone forgot camp last year.

He doesn't fail the eye test. He had amazing stats with the U18 and U20 and has the hands and the vision to be a top 6 player. He wasn't a bad pick at the time of the draft at all, you can argue for Kulich or Firkus if you're about that life but he was not a reach, if anything he fell...

Not everyone gets to be a superstar but with a little patience he can be a Palat or a Tatar(without the playoff woes)

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I beg to differ, his D+1 was indeed nothing to write home about but it seems everyone forgot camp last year.

He doesn't fail the eye test. He had amazing stats with the U18 and U20 and has the hands and the vision to be a top 6 player. He wasn't a bad pick at the time of the draft at all, you can argue for Kulich or Firkus if you're about that life but he was not a reach, if anything he fell...

Not everyone gets to be a superstar but with a little patience he can be a Palat or a Tatar(without the playoff woes)
Lest we forget how Caufield went from dud under an incompetent manager and coach to 40 goal pace under decent management and coaches.

Reactions: DAChampion

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
He is frustrating because he can look so good then disappear. Definitely needs to work on his consistency.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Hopefully he was underwhelming in the O because the team as a whole was and he wasn't interested, but it wasn't a great pick at the time and nothing has been done to change it.
If he wasn't interested as a teen, that speaks of greater problems.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
This kid clearly is very against going back to juniors.

I don't see the point of sending him back there. He didn't want to be there last year and it showed on the ice.

I'm all for letting players earn it, but I feel in this case just give him a spot in Laval. He probably wants to be in Montreal anyways.
He's a long way from being in Montreal. He had better get his head space squared away, starting to look like a prima donna. You play where you are sent, you earn your way up not pout.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Beck gets more rope as a center who can dominate the faceoff circle, can play physical, is defensively responsible. He’s mostly tabbed as a 3C or middlesixer, so the expectations are lower.

I’m not sure what to make of Mesar or what the Habs brass was thinking when they selected him.
I wish that they would explain the reasoning behind all their selections so we could decide whether the scouts and scouting directors are idiots or not

• Haha
Reactions: Paddyjack

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Kitchener Rangers STH here.

I had watched every Mesar home game last year and a few on the road. Plus what I could of the World Juniors. He is a tale of two players.

If you took the Mesar that started in the OHL and look at his first 5 games or so and his performance at the WJ tournament then he is a stud of a prospect. If you watched him the majority of the other games then you will come off not very impressed.

I really hope that he has been lifting the weights this summer because he was small even by OHL standards last year. AHL is against grown men and he may be in trouble physically.

Now he did have some great games where he was held off the scoresheet. He would create chances and would set up line mates for some grade A scoring chances but they rarely converted.

Kitchener was really mis coached last year. They had fired the coach a week after the trade deadline and the GM stepped in behind the bench. Mesar was pretty mishandled. He really is a play driver and a good set up man. Problem is Francesco Pinelli played on his line and had a great year. He was one of the best players in the OHL last year and he was the play driver. Mesar wasn’t really carrying the puck in as much as he should have because the older and bigger player got that responsibility. Mesar does not have a great shot so him playing with a play driver really doesn’t help him much because it’s not like he will set himself up to score a bunch. Then the coaches finally got it and moved him to another line. Problem was they moved him to the third line and he was playing with much lesser skilled players. I really wish that he had more drive and fire to his game.

I don't understand about the drive/fire part, apparently he was supposed to have one of the best motor of the 2022 draft, did he just decide to not try because he was unhappy?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
He's a long way from being in Montreal. He had better get his head space squared away, starting to look like a prima donna. You play where you are sent, you earn your way up not pout.

I don't understand about the drive/fire part, apparently he was supposed to have one of the best motor of the 2022 draft, did he just decide to not try because he was unhappy?

Are you guys immature and totally lacking life experience or something?

It's normal to underperform in a bad environment. Will happen to anybody.

We just saw it happen to Caulfield!

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Kitchener Rangers STH here.

I had watched every Mesar home game last year and a few on the road. Plus what I could of the World Juniors. He is a tale of two players.

If you took the Mesar that started in the OHL and look at his first 5 games or so and his performance at the WJ tournament then he is a stud of a prospect. If you watched him the majority of the other games then you will come off not very impressed.

It's funny because this is exactly how I describe Joshua Roy. Each time I went to see a game I was not impressed. But then I would watch the WJC or hear about other amazing games he did and I will be very hopeful.

Reactions: Habsrule

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022

Teemu Selanne had a torrid time in Colorado and was nearly out of the league. He had a career resurgence afterward and defied the haters.

It happens to anyone and everyone. Mešar could very well redeem himself. That said, it is fair to downgrade his stature as a prospect given his poor showing last year.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
He reminds me a bit of Brandon Kozun or Jordan Weal. He doesn't seem fast enough to get the separation he needs from defenders, which makes him have to play a bigger game.

I remember watching Kozun at the WJC and worrying about this, and a poster insisted Kozun was a great skater. Likewise people say Mesar is a great skater, but at his size he needs to be able to separate really quickly and from everything I've seen so far he cannot do that. Hopefully I'm wrong and his skating is like Paul Byron's and he can create separation all over the ice.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Yeah I’m not a fan of them telling him one year of junior no matter what.

Him going to the ahl after a middling season of junior just doesn’t sit well with me. I like his upside but I don’t have a good feeling about him at all

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC

I certainly hope that you are right, but in that case it is disconcerting that they left him there for the whole season if he was not happy.

Anyways, I am looking forward to a Mesar who is making things happen with his "motor".

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I guess we travel in different circles. I was taught from a young age you do your best, all the time.
And sometimes you do your best and don't get the results that you were hoping for. It was a poorly organized and poorly coached team and was not necessarily conducive to a player like Mesar's playstyle.

Maybe he busts and maybe he shows that the OHL experience was an anomaly........nobody here knows anything so let's calm our collective t*tties and let this unfold a little before calling him a prima donna or insinuating that he is lazy.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
It is sad that you think that is a meaningless slogan.
The main point is that they aren't always relevant. Since he played for a poorly coached and poorly run team we don't know if his performance was due to a lack of effort or poor coaching. We will get a better idea with this season's performance.

Reactions: ReHabs

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
It is sad that you think that is a meaningless slogan.

The thing about random think positive slogans is that they do more harm than good because they obfuscate reality.

71lbFd5xR1L.jpg

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
Lest we forget how Caufield went from dud under an incompetent manager and coach to 40 goal pace under decent management and coaches.
You are likely the only person who ever thought
CC was a dud. Some of us thought that when things
were not going well for him, 4 to 6 extra games at
Laval may have been better. But if you are going to
LIE, and pretend that someone said, that CC was a
"dud". Some has to tell you to FFFF off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad