2022/23 Roster Thread XV: Where Optional Skates are Mandatory

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Some observations from Charlie:

He uses game 12 as his "split" where I used game 11.

first 11: shot on goal (29), shot attempt (32), expected goal (31)
next 18: shot on goal (9), shot attempt (18), expected goal (22)
next 18: Flyer controlled entry 40.85%, opponent controlled entry 44.85%, neutral zone 50.29%

first 11: opponent dump-in retrieval rate 45.24%
next 18: opponent dump-in retrieval rate 36.49%

So Flyers playing better in the neutral zone, and much better in the D-zone, but they still struggle with O-zone entries and finishing plays, in other words, they've learned to execute Torts' scheme, they're just not very talented.

Sanheim: sucked the first 17 games, then turned it on.
My theory all along was "new contract pressure," player feels the need to live up to his contract and presses for a while.

Risto: Torts stressed defense when he returned

“I’m not looking for goals, points,” Tortorella said in the wake of the scratching. “I just want him to be sound defensively. One of the biggest things he brings is physical play, but I want to see him stop plays. It’s nice to get a hit in, but I want to see the play stopped.”

Since returning to the lineup on Nov. 8, no Philadelphia defenseman has a lower expected goals against/60 rate than Ristolainen and his 2.14 mark, and his overall xGF 52.63%.

TDA: defense? I don't need no stinkin' defense. DeAngelo ranks third-worst in the NHL in terms of defensive impact.

“He was a rover, and sometimes when you’re a rover as a defenseman, it’s in the offensive zone,” Tortorella said. “(But) he was roving all over the place in the defensive zone, and no one knew really where he was gonna go and check.”

Cates: The second-best defensive forward — Patrick Brown — ranks in the 80th percentile leaguewide among forwards. Cates? He’s in the 99th percentile, sixth-best in the NHL.

TK: scoring a PPG with only one secondary assist, that's really good, and some want to trade him at 25.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Glad to see Lycksell brought up. It will be interesting to see if Torts uses him and if he does, who sits out.
The TDA issue is not a good thing. What caused TDA to be placed on non roster status? According to the CBA it is:

Upon approval of the Commissioner, a Player who is unavailable to play due to reasons other than injury, illness or disability (e.g., birth of a child, attending a funeral) will be designated a Non-Roster Player, and during such period of his designation as such he will not count against the Club’s Active Roster limit and his Club may replace such Player, provided, however, that the Non-Roster Player’s Player Salary and Bonuses and his replacement’s Player Salary and Bonuses are each included in calculating a Club’s Actual Club Salary and Averaged Club Salary, and the Players’ Share, for purposes of Article 50 (which covers the league’s Team Payroll Range System).”

Last edited:
Reactions: BillDineen

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Glad to see Lycksell brought up. It will be interesting to see if Torts uses him and if he does, who sits out.
The TDA issue is not a good thing. What caused TDA to be placed on non roster status? According to the CBA it is:

Upon approval of the Commissioner, a Player who is unavailable to play due to reasons other than injury, illness or disability (e.g., birth of a child, attending a funeral) will be designated a Non-Roster Player, and during such period of his designation as such he will not count against the Club’s Active Roster limit and his Club may replace such Player, provided, however, that the Non-Roster Player’s Player Salary and Bonuses and his replacement’s Player Salary and Bonuses are each included in calculating a Club’s Actual Club Salary and Averaged Club Salary, and the Players’ Share, for purposes of Article 50 (which covers the league’s Team Payroll Range System).”
He's been dealing with a family matter according to the team.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
@Striiker

Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 2.09.07 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad