2022-2023 AUS Thread

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I didn’t get to see either game last night. Looks like Raaymakers had a rough one.

I still expect the Panthers to come back against Les Aigles. They want to be able to win at least one series be the Nationals.
I would expect Moncton to have extra jump for Friday night in their barn. I wonder if CYR or Brassard will dress?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
If they can't rebound to get by Timbit and gang, it's going to be a long layoff!
Not taking anything away from UdeM, but I expect UPEI to win the series.

I've said this more than a few times - This is why they play the games. You Just Don't Know What Will Happen.

A perfect example of this was UNB-RYE at the Nationals. I lost a million dollars on that game by going on "expectations".

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
I'm sticking with UPEI to take game 2 tonight, and the series win on Sunday.

I want to take ACA over X for the series sweep...but have been burned oh so badly in the past. Nothing would bring me greater joy though than seeing ACA trounce X tonight for the sweep.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I'm sticking with UPEI to take game 2 tonight, and the series win on Sunday.

I want to take ACA over X for the series sweep...but have been burned oh so badly in the past. Nothing would bring me greater joy though than seeing ACA trounce X tonight for the sweep.
Don't be hatin'......

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
That’s a shame.

St. FX with one of the most disappointing seasons in recent memory IMO. I think most of us would’ve predicted them being a legit national contender given what they did last season with such a young team…not finishing in 4th place with a .500 record and being the first team in the country eliminated from the playoffs.

Reactions: Rob

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Just got home at 1120 from an icy drive back from ACA. Not sure, but I think the mood on the SFX bus may be a bit colder.

I haven't seen ACA play like that in years. They were way more physical than SFX and a lot more engaged. Several solid open ice hits, again which I haven't seen since the days of Mike Dawson. Everyone blocking shots, doing whatever it took for the win. I've said in the past how ACA may not be the most skilled team but they work hard. Tonight was a perfect example of the work ethic. With all the banging out there I did see a few players limping off the ice after a big hit. Hopefully, they'll be ready to roll Wednesday.

I know I'll get a text over this, but to me, SFX looked disinterested. I normally say a team doesn't look good because the other team is making them look bad, but I had a different feeling about SFX tonight.
On their 5-3 PPs they didn't do much, partly because of the ACA PK but they just sucked. McCollum was very solid in goal while Raaymakers got beat on a couple of nifty dekes. SFX was not without their own chances, hitting the post 2 or 3 times, but in the end they managed 1 goal on the PP.

I could go on about how "amazed" I was, but then I'd sound like a UNB fanboy. Suffice to say ACA were full marks for the win over what a lot of people (including me) thought would be a contender.

I don't want to say it, but there are times when I wonder if there is some kind of "dysfunction" in the SFX room. They should be better than they showed. But, that's why they play the games.

Congrats to ACA with a convincing win tonight.

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Pretty big disappointment for the Panthers not to win at least one round. I know they were missing Brassard but they still should have been able to beat Moncton.

Great individual effort on the winner by Hache

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I know I'll get a text over this, but to me, SFX looked disinterested. I normally say a team doesn't look good because the other team is making them look bad, but I had a different feeling about SFX tonight.

Fair comments. Hope you didn't get a text over it.

I've wondered as well if they are having some lock room issues.

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
This league can be unpredictable
UNB - Moncton
SMU - Acadia
MacAdam division - Kelly Division matchups.
UdeM 4-3 2OT over UPEI...

I don't think many had this penciled in as a series result, definitely not me that's for sure...but as AUS Fan says...that's why they play the games

Full credit to the UdeM boys...they earned every bit of that win

I don't think many had this penciled in as a series result, definitely not me that's for sure...but as AUS Fan says...that's why they play the games

Thurs-Fri or Fri-Sat start for round 2?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

Thurs-Fri or Fri-Sat start for round 2?
As mentioned in one of the other threads, the UNB women are playing Wed/Thurs at home…so guessing the men will play Fri/Sat.

Pretty big disappointment for the Panthers not to win at least one round. I know they were missing Brassard but they still should have been able to beat Moncton.

Great individual effort on the winner by Hache
Panthers just can’t seem to get over the hump in the playoffs.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Men's semi schedule.

Thu. February 23Acadia Saint Mary's 7:00 PM ASTVideo | Live stats
AUS Semifinal Game 1 (Best 3-of-5 Series)
Fri. February 24Moncton UNB 7:00 PM ASTVideo | Live stats
AUS Semifinal Game 1 (Best 3-of-5 Series)
Acadia Saint Mary's 7:00 PM ASTVideo | Live stats
AUS Semifinal Game 2 (Best 3-of-5 Series)
Sat. February 25Moncton UNB 7:00 PM ASTVideo | Live stats
AUS Semifinal Game 2 (Best 3-of-5 Series)
Mon. February 27Saint Mary's Acadia 7:00 PM ASTVideo | Live stats
AUS Semifinal Game 3 (Best 3-of-5 Series)
Tue. February 28UNB Moncton 7:00 PM ASTVideo | Live stats
AUS Semifinal Game 3 (Best 2-of-3 Series)
Saint Mary's Acadia 7:00 PM ASTVideo | Live stats
AUS Semifinal Game 4 (Best 3-of-5 Series) *if necessary
MARCH
Wed. March 1UNB Moncton 7:00 PM ASTVideo | Live stats
AUS Semifinal Game 4 (Best 3-of-5 Series) *if necessary
Thu. March 2Acadia Saint Mary's 7:00 PM ASTVideo | Live stats
AUS Semifinal Game 5 (Best 3-of-5 Series) *if necessary
Fri. March 3Moncton UNB 7:00 PM ASTVideo | Live stats
AUS Semifinal Game 5 (Best 3-of-5 Series) *if necessary

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
You might be right.

Different topic. AUS All-Start Team. I will post below who I believe should be the all-stars. Not a prediction of how it will go, since coaches can't vote for their own players (and reportedly there is some horse-trading between coaches to spread the picks around). Rather the teams if I got to make the picks with no politics.

AUS All-Star 1st Team
G – Sam Richard - UNB
D – Matt Brassard - UPEI
D – Ross MacDougall - UNB
F – Liam Hawel - StFX
F – Matthew Struthers - StFX
F – Kyle Maksimovich - UPEI

AUS All-Star 2nd Team
G – Jonah Capriotti - UPEI
D – Adam McCormick - UNB
D – Justin MacPherson - SMU
F – Jacob Hudson - StFX
F – Austen Keating – UNB
F – Nathan Dunkley - SMU

AUS All-Rookie Team
G – Sam Richard - UNB
D - Jaxon Bellamy – SMU
D - Jacob Dion – UdeM
F - Simon Pinard – UNB
F - Cody Morgan – UNB
F - Benjamin Corbeil - UNB

Rookie of the Year
Sam Richard – UNB
So how'd I do?
2022-23 AUS men's hockey major awards and all-stars announced - Atlantic University Sport (AUS)
Got Rookie of the year and 5 of the 6 all-rookies right. Later in the thread I agreed with Drummer that Naugs would get coach of the year. Got MVP right (male coaches always seem to go with whoever gets most points; female coaches went with UNB goalie Kendra Woodland).
Got 4 of 6 1st teamers. Only got 2 of the 2nd teamers correct (partly because I had MacPherson and MacDougall at the wrong level).
Can't really argue with the coaches' picks, although not sure about Pinard on 2nd team ahead of several veterans.

Carleton

Dec 17, 2022
So how'd I do?
2022-23 AUS men's hockey major awards and all-stars announced - Atlantic University Sport (AUS)
Got Rookie of the year and 5 of the 6 all-rookies right. Later in the thread I agreed with Drummer that Naugs would get coach of the year. Got MVP right (male coaches always seem to go with whoever gets most points; female coaches went with UNB goalie Kendra Woodland).
Got 4 of 6 1st teamers. Only got 2 of the 2nd teamers correct (partly because I had MacPherson and MacDougall at the wrong level).
Can't really argue with the coaches' picks, although not sure about Pinard on 2nd team ahead of several veterans.
Insert Keating for Pinard and flip flop D pairings. Not sure about Hawel as MVP because of X finishing 4th.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
If you wanna argue spots, Dunkley (SMU) played 4-5 less games than Pinard and Wilms and had 1 point less.

Keating is similar.

Or Trott (SFX), same games and 1 point less.

We can go on forever.

Opposing coaches see these guys 5 times and you can be certain that some of them talk to each other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad