Patriots/NFL 2021 Season II: 1-2; Week 4 vs. TB

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
thing is buddy could have had an INT if he wasn't committed to the kill-shot, ball came lose before he got there and he would have had a shot at it

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I don’t see how he was able to return like 2 plays later, he was clearly knocked out.
All I can think of is that it was great primetime game and they didn't want the game to be soured by losing a marquee player. We saw something similar here when they allowed Edelman to stay on the field in the SB after staggering around

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Bill more or less taking the high road this morning

‘We weren’t as good an option as Tampa’: Bill Belichick on Tom Brady’s 2020 free agency decision - The Boston Globe

In one exchange, Belichick was reminded of how many times he said over the years that there was no other quarterback he’d rather have than Brady.
So, Belichick was asked, when did that change?
“It never changed,” Belichick replied.
In a follow-up question, the Patriots’ coach was asked if he had still wanted Brady to re-sign after the 2019 season (Brady’s last in New England).

“Yeah, well I think we’ve been through all the dynamics of that,” said Belichick. “There were a lot of things there that, you know, he looked at his options and made a decision.

“We weren’t as good an option as Tampa,” added Belichick, “so I mean you’d have to ask him about all of that, but it wasn’t a question of not wanting him. That’s for sure.”

“Tom and I had I feel like a good relationship and a lot of production obviously while we were together,” said Belichick. “I enjoyed coaching Tom. He was a great player for us.”

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Bill more or less taking the high road this morning

‘We weren’t as good an option as Tampa’: Bill Belichick on Tom Brady’s 2020 free agency decision - The Boston Globe

In one exchange, Belichick was reminded of how many times he said over the years that there was no other quarterback he’d rather have than Brady.
So, Belichick was asked, when did that change?
“It never changed,” Belichick replied.
In a follow-up question, the Patriots’ coach was asked if he had still wanted Brady to re-sign after the 2019 season (Brady’s last in New England).

“Yeah, well I think we’ve been through all the dynamics of that,” said Belichick. “There were a lot of things there that, you know, he looked at his options and made a decision.

“We weren’t as good an option as Tampa,” added Belichick, “so I mean you’d have to ask him about all of that, but it wasn’t a question of not wanting him. That’s for sure.”

“Tom and I had I feel like a good relationship and a lot of production obviously while we were together,” said Belichick. “I enjoyed coaching Tom. He was a great player for us.”
Brady kind of made it easier for Bill to take the high road with the comments last week. But the not wanting him stuff is BS, he low balled him on the contract because he didn’t want him lol.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Brady kind of made it easier for Bill to take the high road with the comments last week. But the not wanting him stuff is BS, he low balled him on the contract because he didn’t want him lol.
If they didn't want him they wouldn't have offered a contract. Brady had taken a lot of team friendly deals over the years, so it's easy to see why they offered him what they did. With that said, the Patriots definitely made it easier for him to walk away by forgoing his franchise tag and offering a below market deal.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
They didnt have a plan at QB after Brady, so that lends me to believe they thought Tom would capitulate at the end and sign the deal.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Whether Bill wanted him or not is a lesser concern for me now. Clearly they should have gone out of their way to placate Brady and make it work. But now it's year two without him and the team stinks. With every passing day, Bill just looks worse and worse as a GM/coach. That's just a fact. We will see if he can get things turned around. Doesn't look promising to me.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Whether Bill wanted him or not is a lesser concern for me now. Clearly they should have gone out of their way to placate Brady and make it work. But now it's year two without him and the team stinks. With every passing day, Bill just looks worse and worse as a GM/coach. That's just a fact. We will see if he can get things turned around. Doesn't look promising to me.

I thought last year was one of his best coaching-wise.

QB sucked. Team lost more players to COVID opt outs than almost anyone. And the roster didn't have any talent.

Most coaches go 3-13 with the Pats last year.

Belichick the GM has not had a good five years.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Certainly there is a case to be made that they should have done whatever the guy wanted, but it will be interesting to see where everything stands in a couple years. If Mac is the real deal and they can turn this team into a legit contender was it worth giving up a few years of Tom? Maybe, I dunno.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
If they didn't want him they wouldn't have offered a contract. Brady had taken a lot of team friendly deals over the years, so it's easy to see why they offered him what they did. With that said, the Patriots definitely made it easier for him to walk away by forgoing his franchise tag and offering a below market deal.
Considering what they had in line to replace Brady low balling him probably wasn’t the smartest idea.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Greatest Of All Time. :biglaugh:

He's more Phil Jackson than Vince Lombardi....

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Every great coach had a great player(s)

Lombardi had Starr.

There is no Tom Brady in all likelihood without BB

I think the truth is that it's the other way around.

Joe Gibbs and Bill Parcells say hello. Gibbs won 3 titles with 3 different QBs (Theisman, Doug Williams, and Mark Rypien) and Parcells won with Phil Simms, and Jeff Hoestetler.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
The amount of shit piling onto Belichick is ridiculous. He's a great coach, honestly probably the GOAT given the era he's had to coach in. Obviously he benefitted greatly from having Brady for 20 years. He doesn't win 6 Super Bowls without him.

HOWEVER

The people that act like Brady is the only reason for their success are ridiculous. One player does not win you 6 titles and get you to 9 in this league. If that was the case, Manning, Rodgers, Brees all would have more hardware than they do.

It was and always will be a mutually beneficial relationship between the two. Brady obviously covered up a lot of flaws, but he never would've been the player he became if it wasn't for the coach in his early years, and that's something even Brady has acknowledged, multiple times.

Fully agree that Belichick the GM has failed the team overall for a bit though. Most recent draft looks promising however

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Think of it this way.

Look at last year's WR's and this year's TE's. Look at the defense.

Now compare that to Tampa. You think Brady is throwing those long deep balls to Jacobi Meyers when he can throw it to Mike Evans or Godwin?

No way. Even if Brady stayed. He wasn't happy. His binky Alex couldn't be on the sideline. He had no weapons to throw to. He was done. Sure. Maybe if they threw a huge contract at him he might of stayed but he'd wouldn't of been happy.

I love Tom. But enough's enough. You weren't winning with last years team. And not this current one either. No more whining. I don't wanna hear his daddy on the radio or podcast. I don't wanna hear Alex talking about this or that and some fake concussion water. Go massage his back and keep it moving.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
The amount of shit piling onto Belichick is ridiculous. He's a great coach, honestly probably the GOAT given the era he's had to coach in. Obviously he benefitted greatly from having Brady for 20 years. He doesn't win 6 Super Bowls without him.

HOWEVER

The people that act like Brady is the only reason for their success are ridiculous. One player does not win you 6 titles and get you to 9 in this league. If that was the case, Manning, Rodgers, Brees all would have more hardware than they do.

It was and always will be a mutually beneficial relationship between the two. Brady obviously covered up a lot of flaws, but he never would've been the player he became if it wasn't for the coach in his early years, and that's something even Brady has acknowledged, multiple times.

Fully agree that Belichick the GM has failed the team overall for a bit though. Most recent draft looks promising however

Brady went through Brees, Rodgers and Mahomes in a single playoff run with Bruce Arians as his flipping coach. Results matter. I do think Belichick is a great coach but people are right to point to his head coaching resume without Brady and at least ask questions.

Reactions: rfournier103

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Think of it this way.

Look at last year's WR's and this year's TE's. Look at the defense.

Now compare that to Tampa. You think Brady is throwing those long deep balls to Jacobi Meyers when he can throw it to Mike Evans or Godwin?

No way. Even if Brady stayed. He wasn't happy. His binky Alex couldn't be on the sideline. He had no weapons to throw to. He was done. Sure. Maybe if they threw a huge contract at him he might of stayed but he'd wouldn't of been happy.

I love Tom. But enough's enough. You weren't winning with last years team. And not this current one either. No more whining. I don't wanna hear his daddy on the radio or podcast. I don't wanna hear Alex talking about this or that and some fake concussion water. Go massage his back and keep it moving.

But I am sure you'll be on board with the pro Belichick spin in the upcoming Wickersham book that could be a reason for the Brady camp's crowing? Bill is no saint here. He gets the info out to the press that he wants out there. Whether it's Wickersham or his 3rd son, Adam Schefter.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I think the truth is that it's the other way around.

Joe Gibbs and Bill Parcells say hello. Gibbs won 3 titles with 3 different QBs (Theisman, Doug Williams, and Mark Rypien) and Parcells won with Phil Simms, and Jeff Hoestetler.
I mean Bill drafted him so I dont see how it could be the other way around.

Every coach had plenty of HOFers. Gibbs had Darrell Green and Art Monk. Parcells had Lwerence Taylor and Harry Carlson. The point is the coaches are always going to need the players

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
But I am sure you'll be on board with the pro Belichick spin in the upcoming Wickersham book that could be a reason for the Brady camp's crowing? Bill is no saint here. He gets the info out to the press that he wants out there. Whether it's Wickersham or his 3rd son, Adam Schefter.

Not me. I don't care anymore. Bill aggravates me and so does Brady. I'm over it.

Reactions: rfournier103
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad