2021 Roster Thread XVI - Where thoughts are both sweet and sour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
Huh, what? Exactly what value has he hemorrhaged here?

2nd and 3rd for Braun that helped get to the second round for the first time in almost a decade. Then a trade down to recoup the 2nd at the draft.
4th and next year's 5th for Grant and Thompson?
But a 4th for Simmonds and a 5th and 7th for Raffl and Gus.

Didn't sign Kalynuk?
The 2nd and a 3rd for Braun wasn't good, no, I'm sorry, he wasn't the reason flyers went to the second round, not even close

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
My hope is that Fletcher makes moves that match quality for quality. He shouldn't be out to screw over another club in a deal but he also shouldn't get bent over. He wants a RHD, fine go get Savard as a UFA rather than get rolled for Jones. Goalies should be easily available with the ExDraft going down. However he needs to understand that other GMs aren't dopes either. The guys that he wants to move don't have a lot of value and when you try to move out trash, usually you get garbage in return.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Huh, what? Exactly what value has he hemorrhaged here?

2nd and 3rd for Braun that helped get to the second round for the first time in almost a decade. Then a trade down to recoup the 2nd at the draft.
4th and next year's 5th for Grant and Thompson?
But a 4th for Simmonds and a 5th and 7th for Raffl and Gus.

Didn't sign Kalynuk?

Braun sucked in the playoffs.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
From main boards, Flyers willing to discuss almost anyone but Farabee- 9:00 mark

Elliotte Friedman on players and teams looking for changes, Canucks timeline - Sportsnet.ca
If one of Coots, Provy or Hart is gone for a player not named Connor McDavid, Auston Matthews, Jack Eichel or Cale Makar...
8ac14a684bf1effa75b70158aff0112a.png

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Did I just read that the Flyers haven't had a major roster change since 2011?

There's only 4 players remaining from the 2014-2015 roster :laugh:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The 2nd and a 3rd for Braun wasn't good, no, I'm sorry, he wasn't the reason flyers went to the second round, not even close

2nd and 3rd for Braun was market price, and yes, he was a key to the playoff run. Ghost was MIA last season. And we resigned Braun to a low cost contract which he more than earned this past season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
My hope is that Fletcher makes moves that match quality for quality. He shouldn't be out to screw over another club in a deal but he also shouldn't get bent over. He wants a RHD, fine go get Savard as a UFA rather than get rolled for Jones. Goalies should be easily available with the ExDraft going down. However he needs to understand that other GMs aren't dopes either. The guys that he wants to move don't have a lot of value and when you try to move out trash, usually you get garbage in return.

You have to be awfully lucky to get a "steal" in a trade, either you find a stupid GM (there are only a few, and they only make one or two deals in an offseason), or some player you obtain performs well above expectations.

Fletcher doesn't have to try to outsmart the league, he just has to get value for value, he has a lot of assets.
Fortunately, he seems to be reluctant to trade prospects/young players, that's where teams get burnt, trading young cheap assets for aging veterans - but with the cap flat even if he wanted to make those kinds of deals his hands are tied.

So I expect more veteran for veteran deals, reshape the roster by shifting starters.
Which is why I think Voracek and Ghost are the most likely to be moved. Maybe JVR, but he'd be harder to replace.
Couts and G only if they don't want to stay.
Hayes has a NMC until next summer.
Braun might have value to a playoff team that wants veteran depth.

TK and Provorov are the only younger players with a big enough cap hit to balance a major trade.
Prospects and the 2nd and 3rd rd picks can be packaged, but it only makes sense for a cost controlled younger player.
#13 should be off the table unless someone makes an offer you can't refuse.
Farabee, Lindblom and Hart should be no-nos.

Reactions: renberg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No, Braun-Hagg were our runaway worst pairing.

Either way your claim that he was an indispensable element is bunk

Braun - Hagg was not a good fit.
Never said he was indispensable, but he certainly help stabilize the defense.
That's why you make that kind of trade.

As we saw this year, our young defense wasn't quite ready for prime-time.
Braun was forced into a bigger role than he should have had at his age, still CF 50.37%, CFrel -0.78, xGF 49.54%, xGFrel 0.00 is a solid season for a 3rd pair D-man.

If that's the worst deal Fletcher makes, much ado about nothing, as usual.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Braun - Hagg was not a good fit.
Never said he was indispensable, but he certainly help stabilize the defense.
That's why you make that kind of trade.

As we saw this year, our young defense wasn't quite ready for prime-time.
Braun was forced into a bigger role than he should have had at his age, still CF 50.37%, CFrel -0.78, xGF 49.54%, xGFrel 0.00 is a solid season for a 3rd pair D-man.

If that's the worst deal Fletcher makes, much ado about nothing, as usual.

I remember when this logic was used to defend Holmgren constantly bleeding out extra picks and assets in moves for older players.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I remember when this logic was used to defend Holmgren constantly bleeding out extra picks and assets in moves for older players.

Fletcher did it once.
4th and 5th for Grant/Thompson is balanced by 4th, 5th and 7th for Simmonds, Raffl and Gus.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
In the 2020 playoffs

Ghost > Sanheim/Provorov > Myers/Niskanen > Braun/Hagg

Braun was trash.
Nope nope nope , Ghost sucks , he is flaming dog poop on your porch . Hagg ROCKS !!! , suck it . Playoffs were talking Playoffs , WTF are those .

Reactions: 04hockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad