2021 Roster Discussion -- The Season Begins!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Why would they want to get as close to the cap as possible?
Basically, the closer they are to the ceiling with their opening night roster before placing players on LTIR, the more cap space they are able to accrue if they operate below their original opening cap number.

CapFriendly has a nice explanation: LTIR FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Is capfriendly wrong?

They might have done that off of some tweets that Biro was at practice the other day when it was actually Sheahan wearing the number that Biro had been wearing.

:dunno:

Buffalo Sabres Digital Press Box

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
1/8: Signed F Riley Sheahan to a one-year contract worth $700,000
1/11: Assigned F Brandon Biro, F Steven Fogarty, F Brett Murray, F C.J. Smith, D Casey Fitzgerald, D Ryan Jones, G Michael Houser and G Dustin Tokarski to Rochester (AHL)
1/12: Assigned F Andrew Oglevie, F Arttu Ruotsalainen, D Jacob Bryson and D Mattias Samuelsson to Rochester (AHL).
1/13: Assigned F Rasmus Asplund, F Casey Mittelstadt, D William Borgen, D Brandon Davidson and G Jonas Johansson to the taxi squad
1/14: Assigned F Jack Quinn to the taxi squad

Reactions: Der Jaeger

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
That roster webpage has issues.

For instance, Sheahan isn't on it despite being signed on 1/8.

And it's not the active roster + taxi squad as say Mitts isn't there.
That’s not an issue, it’s accurate.

Sheahan is active non-roster to allow the team to count his cap space without having him count against the 23 man limit.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That’s not an issue, it’s accurate.

Sheahan is active non-roster to allow the team to count his cap space without having him count against the 23 man limit.

No it's not.

There JJ isn't on the active roster and he's on that page.

Borgen and Mitts are on the taxi squad and isn't there.

And CapFriendly said they will update the page.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Basically, the closer they are to the ceiling with their opening night roster before placing players on LTIR, the more cap space they are able to accrue if they operate below their original opening cap number.

CapFriendly has a nice explanation: LTIR FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Sabres will have the cap space to fit the disgruntled Patrick Kane onto their roster at the trade deadline. :nod:

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
What about next year, though? I don't think they'd be able to re-sign Hall.
Assuming Reinhart and a Miller/Montour would be going the other way. Do we buyout Okposo next offseason? Either way, if we are competitive make the deal and figure it out later. One season of Staal and potentially Hall. Playoffs or Bust.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
I'm trying to be optimistic here - Rieder, Eakin and Cozens are all fast. Bad (well, Cozens is a rookie, but do we expect him to be the defensive stalwart on that line?), but fast. Assuming we can only have bad players (since management just cannot stop acquiring them), maybe playing bad, but really fast, is better than bad and slow (Berglund, Sobotka, Bogosian). Of course, being fast doesn't automatically mean playing fast (i.e., if you're hemmed in your own zone for 90 seconds because you're bad).

But, again, (I'm trying for optimism) - maybe having significantly more speed on the roster is an improvement, in some way.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I'm trying to be optimistic here - Rieder, Eakin and Cozens are all fast. Bad (well, Cozens is a rookie, but do we expect him to be the defensive stalwart on that line?), but fast. Assuming we can only have bad players (since management just cannot stop acquiring them), maybe playing bad, but really fast, is better than bad and slow (Berglund, Sobotka, Bogosian). Of course, being fast doesn't automatically mean playing fast (i.e., if you're hemmed in your own zone for 90 seconds because you're bad).

But, again, (I'm trying for optimism) - maybe having significantly more speed on the roster is an improvement, in some way.

Realistically we're not making the playoffs. That's not defeatist, that's simply looking at Pittsburgh, Washington, Philadelphia, NYI, NYR, all having made the playoffs/play in round last year. The only team that we're in a similar boat with, but slightly better off than is New Jersey. Crazier things have happened and I will still root for our roster. We haven't upgraded our biggest weakness, goal tending since Miller left the building.

Reactions: sufferer

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
Realistically we're not making the playoffs. That's not defeatist, that's simply looking at Pittsburgh, Washington, Philadelphia, NYI, NYR, all having made the playoffs/play in round last year. The only team that we're in a similar boat with, but slightly better off than is New Jersey. Crazier things have happened and I will still root for our roster. We haven't upgraded our biggest weakness, goal tending since Miller left the building.
The Sabres season hasn't even started yet, put down the white flag.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015

Yeah, they only make the playoffs with an unsustainably high PDO (hot shooting %s and hot goaltending). Luckily, chopping 25 games off the season, and adding Taylor Hall, mitigates in their favor. *If* they can get some hot streaks going, they could potentially ride that into the playoffs before they crash and burn (which they will because they are still bad).

So, it really all comes down to luck. It would also help if another team in the division gets hit with some bad luck. It's not impossible. It isn't a good plan! Arguably, it is a very bad plan. But it's not impossible.

Hutton has shown he can get hot for short stretches. Ullmark is fine, imo. So, it's conceivable that the two of them can patch together strong goaltending for 50 games.

Reactions: jc17

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
The Sabres season hasn't even started yet, put down the white flag.

Well, every year, the stats bros say the Sabres will be bad. And, every year, we say, "...but maybe not!" And every year, the Sabres are bad.

The stats bros say the Sabres are bad again. They have a track record of being right. Everyone deals with that in their own way, I guess.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
@ForsbergMoDo21

**..........But I think people just want to see Skinner in a position to rebound to his 40 goal form, rather than a position more similar to what saw him on pace to pot 20..........**

Thats from your response to me in the closed roster speculation thread.

The 20 goal pace I was referring to was 5v5 goals. But he was also on pace for 20 goals overall because he was only scoring at 5v5.

Breaking down Skinner’s goals
40 goal season/averages 8yrs as a Cane/last season.

5v5 goals ——————-> 27/20/20 pace
PP goals ———————> 8/6/0
**ES (non 5v5) goals -> 5/3/0
Total goals —————-> 40/29/20 pace

** either goalie pulled, 4v4, 3v3

The most you could hope for putting Skinner with Jack is he is able to tie his career best 5v5 goal total (27) again . But even if he pulled that off, he still needs another 13 goals to reach 40.

Skinner with or away from Eichel is probably best described as a decision between him scoring 20 or 25 goals. His total goals is a different matter influenced by PP time and how coaches will use Skinner in those ES (non 5v5) situations.

So I guess you could say that the numbers support the idea that his 40 goal season was the outlier and it’s a more reliable bet that he’ll hit his usual pace down the lineup than match his peak up the lineup?

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Yeah, they only make the playoffs with an unsustainably high PDO (hot shooting %s and hot goaltending). Luckily, chopping 25 games off the season, and adding Taylor Hall, mitigates in their favor. *If* they can get some hot streaks going, they could potentially ride that into the playoffs before they crash and burn (which they will because they are still bad).

So, it really all comes down to luck. It would also help if another team in the division gets hit with some bad luck. It's not impossible. It isn't a good plan! Arguably, it is a very bad plan. But it's not impossible.

Hutton has shown he can get hot for short stretches. Ullmark is fine, imo. So, it's conceivable that the two of them can patch together strong goaltending for 50 games.
Don't forget about special teams.

If don't absolutely stink in that department we'll do much better, and if we still stink, smith needs to go. Our pp and pk both being bottom 10 is unacceptable

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
If you're already saying there's no way we can be better than the mighty New York Rangers I don't know what to tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark