2021 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
For what it's worth, Rhys Jessop (formerly of Canucks Army and the Florida Panthers) said that he basically has Beniers, then Clarke/Eklund/Power in his mix for #1 overall.

I would rank that as the first tier.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I'd suggest people look up the prospects on Eliteprospects. They have a section that covers all other scouting rankings for said player.

Look up the top 10 prospects and you get so many different opinions.

Reactions: NomadicCanadian

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
When does the drop roughly take place? I am hearing some people after 5, Other people saying after like 10.
I guess hard to find a Consensus this year

This is a hard one to judge. The so-called tiers if there even are any here are maybe distinguished by perceived risk or safety levels of certain players more so than straight up potential. I guess there's always that balance in any draft, but this one skews much more to the former than normal. Power for example epitomizes this, as he seems like a really safe sure fire bet as a Top 4 NHL D with lots of size and well rounded tool box. Nothing about him stands out as exceptional but his size. He's good at everything, just not elite at anything. He's safe. Even Beniers, the top ranked Centre, is kind of like this. Maybe not elite at anything other than work ethic, but seems like a solid safe sure fire bet

Go down the list a little ways past Clarke and Hughes (probably the two most skilled with the highest level of safety) and you get to players like Johnson, Edvinsson, Lysell, who all have really high skill levels, but aren't as well rounded. The best player in this draft could very well get taken after the top 5, who knows.

Reactions: Peen and Bubbles

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
For what it's worth, Rhys Jessop (formerly of Canucks Army and the Florida Panthers) said that he basically has Beniers, then Clarke/Eklund/Power in his mix for #1 overall.

I would rank that as the first tier.

I see a high floor, low ceiling type with Beniers. My opinion of course. I get David Legwand vibes.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
Clarke
Beniers
Power
Hughes
Eklund
Edvinsson
Guenther
After the top 7 for me. Maybe you could include a couple of Lysell, Sillinger, Lucius, Svechkov, Mctavish, and Wallstedt but they’re a clear step below imo.

Edvinsson's hockey IQ reminds me of Virtanen. I don't think he belongs in the same tier. Also, if you were to include Guenther, then you should probably include Johnson as well.

Clarke
Beniers
Power
Eklund

IMO these 4 players are Tier 1. Hughes is just below especially factoring in his injuries.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I genuinely think they should trade the pick or trade down with it if there's nothing that will clearly fill a hole in the organization.

They might be better off using the pick to funnel out Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Myers, Holtby, Jake.

I'm not saying trade the pick straight up for salary dumps but maybe - if they win the lottery - you do a 1 + eriksson and roussel for 20 or something. Or 1 + salary for a win-now piece.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Edvinsson's hockey IQ reminds me of Virtanene. I don't think he belongs in the same tier. Also, if you were to include Guenther, than you should probably include Johnson as well.

Clarke
Beniers
Power
Eklund

IMO these 4 players are Tier 1. Hughes is just below especially factoring in his injuries.
Based on what viewings do you think Edvinsson reminds of Virtanen?

How many actual viewings do you have?

I don't see hockey sense as an issue at all. Can you be more specific? Virtanen just skated really fast past teenage boys. Edvinsson is playing against men, and looks good imo. I think he's getting tagged with some of Broberg's faults too, for whatever reason.

Each time I've asked this, it's been ignored.

Reactions: GetFocht

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I think for this draft is it more important on how we develop this prospect than who we pick with our first rounder. Losing almost a full year of development in their draft season is no joke, all these guys are going to need at least a couple more years in a good developmental program to make up for lost time. For this reason, if 2 players are in the same tier, I would pick the guy that is in a good program (like Michigan, for example). Add to the pressure is that Utica is pretty bad at developing skaters, so if the prospect doesn't finish his junior career fully developed, it's pretty bleak going forward for him.

Reactions: CanuckCity

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
I genuinely think they should trade the pick or trade down with it if there's nothing that will clearly fill a hole in the organization.

They might be better off using the pick to funnel out Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Myers, Holtby, Jake.

I'm not saying trade the pick straight up for salary dumps but maybe - if they win the lottery - you do a 1 + eriksson and roussel for 20 or something. Or 1 + salary for a win-now piece.

I would only entertain using the pick to dump salary if there was a VERY good plan in place to take advantage of that immediately and improve the team this next season via the cap savings. However, I think Benning or not, the likelihood of such a pivot this offseason is really low. I'm not trying to be negative, that's just my pragmatic view and how difficult it will be to clean up this mess. Next season is probably going to be ass no matter what management does, so knowing that, I think you just save as many assets as you can and let those bad contracts expire. Buyouts of Holtby/Virtanen may be necessary just to make room for what needs to be done (petterson/hughes/roster holes). I would be more interested in trading down a few slots and gathering another asset like a 2nd rounder.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Based on what viewings do you think Edvinsson reminds of Virtanen?

How many actual viewings do you have?

I don't see hockey sense as an issue at all. Can you be more specific? Virtanen just skated really fast past teenage boys. Edvinsson is playing against men, and looks good imo. I think he's getting tagged with some of Broberg's faults too, for whatever reason.

Each time I've asked this, it's been ignored.

pretty much as this video shows (and from what i've seen which isn't that much) the passing is abysmal. I watched him closely at the u18s and while Button who i respect was glowing about his tools i soured watching all the horrible passes he made. And while his superior size reach and skating allowed him to be a force as he progresses into the pros he will get eaten alive making so many Gudbranson Myers like decisions with the puck.

I would like to think if you draft Edvinsson top10 you would be projecting a 20-25min a game player who you would use against other teams top lines. Unless he cleans up his passing and reads he will struggle and end up as a 3rd pair or 5th D much in the mold of a Tyler Myers that can eat up minutes and looks the part but is not effective in puck possession.

I think this is where the high risk high reward projections are coming from. If he learns to negate the flaw then he will be a steal if taken 6-15 with the individual package he has. If not well....we'll find out. Personally i question how it will get significantly better against way higher levels of competition systems and speed with much less space.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary

Canucks are in no position to be trading away a top 10 pick to dump a contract that only has one year left on it. We need more top prospects and we should be able to land one in this draft, likely a D man which we need badly. We just need to be patient as we’re almost done with the Eriksson show... one more season... we can’t be hurting our future more than we already have

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Canucks are in no position to be trading away a top 10 pick to dump a contract that only has one year left on it. We need more top prospects and we should be able to land one in this draft, likely a D man which we need badly. We just need to be patient as we’re almost done with the Eriksson show... one more season... we can’t be hurting our future more than we already have

Agree. The team isn't in a position to be truly competitive next season. Accept the cap mess for one more year, let those contracts plus the Luongo penalty expire, allow the young talent to get another season of improvement under their belts and then try to fill holes for real in summer 2022.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

pretty much as this video shows (and from what i've seen which isn't that much) the passing is abysmal. I watched him closely at the u18s and while Button who i respect was glowing about his tools i soured watching all the horrible passes he made. And while his superior size reach and skating allowed him to be a force as he progresses into the pros he will get eaten alive making so many Gudbranson Myers like decisions with the puck.

I would like to think if you draft Edvinsson top10 you would be projecting a 20-25min a game player who you would use against other teams top lines. Unless he cleans up his passing and reads he will struggle and end up as a 3rd pair or 5th D much in the mold of a Tyler Myers that can eat up minutes and looks the part but is not effective in puck possession.

I think this is where the high risk high reward projections are coming from. If he learns to negate the flaw then he will be a steal if taken 6-15 with the individual package he has. If not well....we'll find out. Personally i question how it will get significantly better against way higher levels of competition systems and speed with much less space.

Thank you for the reply.

I personally love his defensive game and even if he can't pass will be a Brandon Carlo type. But the individual talent sticks out like a sore thumb and I'm not too concerned. If Vancouver walks out of the first round with him I'd be pleased. I can't say the tiny sample of passing clips in Will's video changed my position at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: sting101

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I see a high floor, low ceiling type with Beniers. My opinion of course. I get David Legwand vibes.

See my post #848 for my other thoughts/what I've read on Beniers and Johnson. I think I actually quoted you on it.

In college, Beniers is literally an elite transition and offensive creator. Mitch Brown's microstats profile paints him as the single best transition forward in the NCAA. IMO he has a much, much more translatable game than Johnson. And I think he has Sean Couturier upside as an elite two-way player.

Nov 1, 2011

I really do not agree with this take.

The difference in success levels between a top 9 to a 20 pick is significant.

Giving that up to save cap for 1 season vs hopefully many seasons of benefit, especially given the team's current situation, seems absolutely crazy.

Short term thinking is fine when you are close, we are not even in the neighborhood of close.

Nov 1, 2011
Myyyyyyy gosh, f in shit... I can't believe I am asking this....

who you guys got for postion 10-13?

at that point I wouldn't mind

Ceulemans, Bourgault, Sillinger or Fedor Svechkov .

McTavish

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

I think you're overvaluing what it'd cost to move Loui and Roussel. In 2019 it costed an early 2nd just to move from 14 to 11. In 2014 Blue chip prospect+Tanev+6th wasn't enough to move from 6th to 1st. If Canucks win the lottery they could likely trade back into the 5-9 range+dump Loui to one of the rebuilding teams. I do agree that if Canucks win the lottery they should trade back into the top 10 and dump salary.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I think you're overvaluing what it'd cost to move Loui and Roussel. In 2019 it costed an early 2nd just to move from 14 to 11. In 2014 Blue chip prospect+Tanev+6th wasn't enough to move from 6th to 1st. If Canucks win the lottery they could likely trade back into the 5-9 range+dump Loui to one of the rebuilding teams. I do agree that if Canucks win the lottery they should trade back into the top 10 and dump salary.
I have no idea what it costs. My values are just me spitballing for thought.

There’s some reason to the idea that you could end up going down the Eichel/Reinhart problem if we are shit for the next two years - hence my suggestion to the we should be *open* to the idea of expending assets to dump cap.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I have no idea what it costs. My values are just me spitballing for thought.

There’s some reason to the idea that you could end up going down the Eichel/Reinhart problem if we are shit for the next two years - hence my suggestion to the we should be *open* to the idea of expending assets to dump cap.

I agree. Canucks basically have 2 years to convince Horvat to stay and the clock is ticking with Hughes and Pettersson's patience. If they win the lottery they should 100% trade down into the top 10 and dump Loui.

Reactions: Peen

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Thank you for the reply.

I personally love his defensive game and even if he can't pass will be a Brandon Carlo type. But the individual talent sticks out like a sore thumb and I'm not too concerned. If Vancouver walks out of the first round with him I'd be pleased. I can't say the tiny sample of passing clips in Will's video changed my position at all.
If he can't pass he's not a good player though. Carlo is effective with his passing and his decision making. The concern would be a Tyler Myers clone 3-4 yrs down the road.

Obviously the top scouts have dozens of viewings which is why i'm not gonna stand on a soap box unlike the WHL players i see many times live typically but i will close out with saying i watched the video then watched him 4 times at the U18s and the concerns are real for me.

Was minus 6 against Canada and the US at the U18s with one shot on goal and no points. In the Finland semi he had 4 shots and a goal but didn't generate a single assist in a 8-0 blowout

His standout skills for me are he can really skate and is massive with reach. His nice hands and edges allow him to look like he could be a supreme talent but his results and passing made me really bearish on him. Again were both using a vary limited database and if he's smart he can improve. His skating hands and size alone is a rare package that could be extremely valuable to his team.

The most important aspects for me are how can he effect the game positively from a NHL stand point and what is his role in the NHL. Unless he improves the passing he's not gonna be a good shut down guy. That's where i don't like the risk but by the time we draft everyone is gonna have some level of risk so that's fair to like him if you do.

Taking him top2 i would be choked given the talents of some of the kids available.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011

That's actually a hilarious thought experiment. Just how much salary could we dump on Seattle in exchange for 1st overall before they say no?

Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, Virtanen, Myers, Schmidt, Pearson, Ferland, Holtby and 1st overall in exchange for a bunch of their expansion selections with minimal value and minimal contract term. Force Benning to make the deal and fire his ass right after.

I think you're way better off just making the 1st overall pick and using lesser futures and salary retention to dump these players, a competent GM shouldn't have too much trouble fixing our roster quickly as it stands today, but it's a funny idea.

"I have a trade to announce"

Reactions: Zombotron and Peen

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Beniers looks mature beyond his years:

upload_2021-5-17_13-49-24.jpeg

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
It's an interesting hypothetical, but I think I would be hard pressed to make the decision to trade down if we won one of the two lottery spots. It would have to be very good, like more than a top 10 pick plus dumping Eriksson. Even if we got Clarke or Beniers, they aren't top flight AAA prospects that could turn around the franchise in one season. The trade would have to tip the scale to make next season not a castaway. Basically, what's best for 2022-2023.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Lose the next two and Canucks will have 1 of

Power, Hughes, Edvinsson, Clarke, Beniers, Guenther, Eklund.

Any of those pieces will complement Canucks core.

Reactions: Szechwan and 604
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad