Red Sox/MLB 2021 Hot Stove III - Jackie Bradley Jr. Signs w/ Brewers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Hernandez was a top 100 prospect during the 2018-19 offseason, but has fallen off. Of course, catchers take time to develop and he’s still young.

Reactions: DKH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
every day in Pawtucket, he has options. He also didn’t get much AAA time overall, he could use it. It’s not like he’s really earned a 25 man spot at this point

Bench would be Marwin/Plawecki/Arroyo. If Chavis severely outplays Arroyo in the spring then you swap those two, although I think they trust Arroyo to play SS in a pinch and they do not think the same of Chavis
it's no longer Pawtucket.... it's WORCESTER

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
it's no longer Pawtucket.... it's WORCESTER

yup like I later said, it gonna take awhile for me to get used to that :laugh:

interesting trade- it’s a good sign they feel comfortable enough to deal off depth that we desperately needed last year

it’s such a good trade on the surface that it makes me wonder what the Rays know about Hernandez. He was no longer a top 100 prospect after 2019 but it also wasn’t a miserable year by catcher standards

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Hernandez was a top 100 prospect during the 2018-19 offseason, but has fallen off. Of course, catchers take time to develop and he’s still young.
Makes no sense Tampa traded him

something has to be up here but Bloom I would think would know

he was in last Futures game and he’s got a big arm and power potential

my guess is the Tampa gunghoness to acquire pitching they were willing to give up positional
Players

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Keith Law had Hernandez as Tampa's #11 prospect. Remember that the Rays have the best farm system in all of baseball. Could very well be a Top 10 prospect for the Sox.

11. Ronaldo Hernandez, C
If Hernandez were a no-doubt catcher, he’d be a top-100 prospect based on his bat, but his framing and receiving probably won’t work at the position unless we get the automated strike zone in the near future. Hernandez can hit, however. The Colombian backstop rarely strikes out, doing so in less than 14 percent of his pro plate appearances, and is strong enough for hard contact, but he struggled with his approach in High A in 2019, getting too aggressive early in counts, and needs reps to work on his plan at the plate.

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think Mazza can be pretty good for the Rays

Nick Sogard is Eric Sogard’s cousin. They play a similar game- utility players with good contact and minimal pop

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Nick Sogard is Eric Sogard’s cousin. They play a similar game- utility players with good contact and minimal pop
Steve Sax nephew

Reactions: CDJ

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Rays want arms they think can get thru order twice and Mazza apparently works

The ridiculous surplus Rays gave up the middle likely freed up Sogard.

love Bloom dealing with Yankees and Rays

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Prospects1500
Ronaldo Hernandez*, C

Highest Level: A+
Over five minor league seasons, Hernandez has hit .293/.345/.457 and although he experienced a somewhat down season at the plate in 2019, he followed the effort with a strong showing in the Arizona Fall League that offseason, which bodes well for ability to rebound with future production. He has improved significantly as a blocker behind the plate as he continues to learn the ropes, but it may not be enough to solidify his long-term future at the position. He played the entirety of 2019 season as the starting catcher for the Charlotte Stone Crabs in the Class-A Advanced Florida State League and earned All-Star honors in the process, so Hernandez seems like a lock to take on a new level of competition season. Regardless of his future defensive home, he displays a well-rounded offensive profile for a catcher (21 HR and 10 SB in 2018), and he will likely find his way into a major league lineup in the future if he can continue to develop as an offensive weapon. (J)

Fangraphs
Ronaldo Hernandez, C
Video
Signed: July 2nd Period, 2014 from Colombia (TBR)
Age23.2Height6′ 1″Weight230Bat / ThrR / RFV45
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
HitRaw PowerGame PowerRunFieldingThrow
30/3560/6040/5030/3040/4570
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
For a little while this offseason, Hernandez was the only catcher on the Rays 40-man. Then Mike Zunino signed, and Francisco Mejíawas acquired via trade, and now Hernandez is part of a very volatile mix of strikeout-prone catchers with, especially where Mejía and Hernandez are concerned, big defensive questions. If you just look at raw tools, Hernandez compares to Gary Sánchez and is not only a potential everyday catcher but one who might have real impact. He has big raw power and run-stopping, plus-plus arm strength, but his approach is bad (which might impede the power), and his swing only generates power in certain parts of the zone. He loads his hands very high and deep and then cuts down through the typical hitting zone, which causes Hernandez’s power to come toward the top of the zone and out in front when his swing starts to lift, making his point of impact of paramount importance to his power production. My crude video analysis of my in-person looks at Hernandez compared to his 2020 spring training and alt site swings show his footwork has changed. He’s starting with an open stance and using more of a leg kick than before. If it improves his timing, this change will be important, and I’ve slid Hernandez up from the 40+ tier based on it. But his defensive ability, specifically the receiving, might still be a problem and is part of why Kevan Smith was ahead of him on last year’s depth chart. He’s still a high-variance prospect with some flaws that may be exploited in a significant way at the big league level, but Hernandez has a shot to be an everyday player due to his power.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
We got Ronaldo Hernandez for that?
If it wasn’t Bloom I’d think there was something going on here but my guess is the Rays with their plan for 2021 with a dozen or so pitchers that can throw 80-100 innings or whatever it is liked Mazza and he has major league experience and a starter

Don’t sleep on Sogard either.

They give you enough darts from a decent distance you are going to hit on them - these two players are worth the optimism

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I saw a place that had Sogard ranked as the 50th best Rays prospect

Honestly if they just got Sogard back I would have called it a win to get something for Mazza and Springs

Sogard is mostly a slap hitter with some speed but he’s going to be very useful in the system, even if he never makes the show

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I saw a place that had Sogard ranked as the 50th best Rays prospect

Honestly if they just got Sogard back I would have called it a win to get something for Mazza and Springs

Sogard is mostly a slap hitter with some speed but he’s going to be very useful in the system, even if he never makes the show

Plus 50th in the rays or Padres systems isn’t the same as others

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
JBJ still not signed. If he wasn't asking for a 4 year deal, Chaim would take him back. Seems the longer term is scaring teams off.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Apparently someone screwed up on the roster page and assigned the #33 to Martin Perez because that was his number in Minnesota despite the fact that he wore #54 last year, and Varitek's wife flipped out about it on twitter, so Perez had to formally ask the team to change it back to #54.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Keith Law had Hernandez as Tampa's #11 prospect. Remember that the Rays have the best farm system in all of baseball. Could very well be a Top 10 prospect for the Sox.

11. Ronaldo Hernandez, C
If Hernandez were a no-doubt catcher, he’d be a top-100 prospect based on his bat, but his framing and receiving probably won’t work at the position unless we get the automated strike zone in the near future. Hernandez can hit, however. The Colombian backstop rarely strikes out, doing so in less than 14 percent of his pro plate appearances, and is strong enough for hard contact, but he struggled with his approach in High A in 2019, getting too aggressive early in counts, and needs reps to work on his plan at the plate.

isnt it a little strange the best minor league development team in the league traded him for perceived peanuts?

Reactions: LSCII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad