Red Sox/MLB 2021 Hot Stove III - Jackie Bradley Jr. Signs w/ Brewers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Sure but using your own logic to excuse away the misses, the Yankees have won the title more than any other team in MLB history. Since they won it more, that means they can not win it all and they're fans should just shut up and be happy, no? :naughty:

See how that works? Titles are great, but the expectation isn't that winning one gives you the right to suck. These big market teams are expected to and should be competitive all the time given the unlevel playing field they have in their favor against all but 2 or 3 other teams in this league. Mediocrity isn't acceptable, writing off multiple seasons in a row isn't acceptable. Especially when it was their own f***ing fault for painting themselves into a corner.

For a team that now has a clear way to dominate the Boston market now thanks to brady leaving seems like a wasted opportunity to mail it in for 4 years

Reactions: LSCII

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Hal Steinbrenner does a decent job not meddling in day to day ops from what I have seen. Also the Yankess do a decent job of maintaining a professional environment in contrast to FSG group.

Brian Cashman is legitimately one of the greatest GMs in the history of American sport and doesn't get nearly enough credit for what he's done. Everyone thinks that it's easy to assemble a team when the Yankees have unlimited resources, but he's evolved with the game and worked with the CBA to keep the Yankees stable from the A-Rod era to today with a team built around Judge. He's found guys like Greg Bird and Gio Urshela to produce for them, it's not like he's got a starting lineup of 9 $20 million guys anymore. He should be in the HOF as a builder.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Going to Red Sox Away game in another park is a fantastic experience its easier to watch your favorite baseball team play without the overproduced nonsense.

Did a Baltimore trip with my dad and grandfather a few years ago and it was so fun. Caught two games for ridiculously cheap. Hotel was right near the park so the walk wasn’t bad. Camden Yards is absolutely gorgeous. Food was awesome. Flight was easy.

Only thing that sucked was the heat.

The experience made it something I’d like to do every summer when this COVID stuff clears up.

I love Fenway (stadium and poster haha) but the experience at another stadium and making a trip out of it is definitely more appealing.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Going to Red Sox Away game in another park is a fantastic experience its easier to watch your favorite baseball team play without the overproduced nonsense.
Where do you watch away games? I’m curious because I’ve seen games in 5 or 6 parks, and they all have been overproduced.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
“He owns another sports team” isn’t the argument some people think it is...

especially in a pandemic

And double especially when they pretty much spend to the luxury tax threshold every season and then will go over it and take penalties for a couple years when they are actual WS contenders

this “Henry is cheap” stuff is spoiled, cry-baby bullshit. There are plenty of things you can criticize them for- being cheap is not one of them

My only issues with FSG is they make the Red Sox organization freak show and meddle too much.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I agree.

I blame Dave Dombrowski and ownership for creating a mess large enough that it's going to take Chaim Bloom 4 years to clean it up.
We won a WS with DD, so let's cut him some slack.
Yes, he had to trade all of our decent prospects ( Moncada/Kopech/Margot/Logan Allen/Buttery/Dubon) to get there but that is price you pay.
Hopefully Chaim can rebuild the farm and we can be competitive this year and make a run in 2-3 years at another WS.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I agree.

I blame Dave Dombrowski and ownership for creating a mess large enough that it's going to take Chaim Bloom 4 years to clean it up.

The ownership gave him a mandate and his did what he was told and delivered. Are we going to praise the FO for winning 4 titles but bash Dombrowski for delivering a historic run?

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Where do you watch away games? I’m curious because I’ve seen games in 5 or 6 parks, and they all have been overproduced.

I've been to 5 MLB parks and here's how I'd assess them

Fenway: Great experience. Sometimes it's a bit too much with the overproduction and commercialization, and the seats are not comfortable, but aesthetically it's hard to top and you usually get a good game with a passionate crowd

Citizens Bank Park: Highly underrated. Modern, nice seats, not cheap but not Fenway-expensive either. It knows its fanbase too with the presentation treating the fans as if they know baseball and not striving to entertain them with stupid bells and whistles. The Phanatic is enough for them and is the best at what he does.

Dodger Stadium: Beautiful park. Pain in the ass to get to, but worth it once you're there. Not the fanciest place in the world, but they make it feel like a glamorous event. Good food too.

Petco Park: Very nice, clean, modern, comfortable park with lots of stuff to see. I'll need to go there again to get a more fair assessment because I went during a day game and it was brutal with the sun. There is no sun coverage in the bleachers, I had to escape to the concourse for a couple innings to try to keep myself from dying of heatstroke and sunburns.

Angel Stadium: I could only describe it as the world's biggest minor league park. The presentation is horrible. The structure itself is fine, the seating is fine. But they absolutely need to revamp their whole presentation. The difference between Dodger Stadium and Anaheim is stark in that regard. Cheap and easy to get to, if you're a purist and just like watching the game, you can get by. But there's nothing special about the stadium or the area.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I've been to 5 MLB parks and here's how I'd assess them

Fenway: Great experience. Sometimes it's a bit too much with the overproduction and commercialization, and the seats are not comfortable, but aesthetically it's hard to top and you usually get a good game with a passionate crowd

Citizens Bank Park: Highly underrated. Modern, nice seats, not cheap but not Fenway-expensive either. It knows its fanbase too with the presentation treating the fans as if they know baseball and not striving to entertain them with stupid bells and whistles. The Phanatic is enough for them and is the best at what he does.

Dodger Stadium: Beautiful park. Pain in the ass to get to, but worth it once you're there. Not the fanciest place in the world, but they make it feel like a glamorous event. Good food too.

Petco Park: Very nice, clean, modern, comfortable park with lots of stuff to see. I'll need to go there again to get a more fair assessment because I went during a day game and it was brutal with the sun. There is no sun coverage in the bleachers, I had to escape to the concourse for a couple innings to try to keep myself from dying of heatstroke and sunburns.

Angel Stadium: I could only describe it as the world's biggest minor league park. The presentation is horrible. The structure itself is fine, the seating is fine. But they absolutely need to revamp their whole presentation. The difference between Dodger Stadium and Anaheim is stark in that regard. Cheap and easy to get to, if you're a purist and just like watching the game, you can get by. But there's nothing special about the stadium or the area.

I’ve mock booked a San Diego trip for when the Sox are there because it’s a major destination. It looks like a fun city to go to with a lot to do besides the Padres. And the Park looks nice.

Has anyone been to PNC Park or American Family Field (Brewers)? Those a few other trips I think would be fun.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
We won a WS with DD, so let's cut him some slack.
Yes, he had to trade all of our decent prospects ( Moncada/Kopech/Margot/Logan Allen/Buttery/Dubon) to get there but that is price you pay.

The ownership gave him a mandate and his did what he was told and delivered
Agreed with both of these points.

I'm not saying that Dombrowski's philosophy is necessarily wrong. His resume clearly suggests otherwise. I'm saying that his way of team building isn't sustainable over the long-term. I'd suggest that both ownership and Dombrowski knew this when he was hired, and that they both got what they were looking for out of the deal.

I'd also suggest that following 2018, Dombrowski made a series of mistakes that are largely to blame for where the franchise is currently. So, yeah... he built arguably the best baseball team of the last 50 years in 2018, but they're going to be paying the price for some of the decisions he made that ultimately got him fired. He was the right guy to build that 2018 team, but he wasn't the right guy to clean up his own mess.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

I'm not saying that Dombrowski's philosophy is necessarily wrong. His resume clearly suggests otherwise. I'm saying that his way of team building isn't sustainable over the long-term. I'd suggest that both ownership and Dombrowski knew this when he was hired, and that they both got what they were looking for out of the deal.

I'd also suggest that following 2018, Dombrowski made a series of mistakes that are largely to blame for where the franchise is currently. So, yeah... he built arguably the best baseball team of the last 50 years in 2018, but they're going to be paying the price for some of the decisions he made that ultimately got him fired. He was the right guy to build that 2018 team, but he wasn't the right guy to clean up his own mess.

He won yes but was exited quickly. Som seem to go through GMs faster than most teams bc the vision changes all the time

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
For a team that now has a clear way to dominate the Boston market now thanks to brady leaving seems like a wasted opportunity to mail it in for 4 years
They are at 204.1 M

What is your blueprint to win WS win this year

let’s start with 10 realistic moves

I’ll access your moves and please no whining

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Do you think the Yankees organization and it's fans would accept a multi year rebuild because they f***ed up on who to spend on in free agency?

Recent history for the team, the last decade:

2020: Last place
2019: 3rd place, playoff DNQ
2018: 1st place, World Series win
2017: 1st place, lost in opening round of playoffs
2016: 1st place, lost in opening round of playoffs
2015: Last place
2014: Last place
2013: 1st place, World Series win
2012: Last place
2011: 3rd place, playoff DNQ
2010: 3rd place, playoff DNQ

So yes, they've won it twice in the last 10 years and it's been tremendous, but they're more likely to not make the playoffs than they are to get in, and that's pretty bad given the team's resources. 2 WS wins, 7 playoff DNQ, and 2 first round knock outs to small market teams. And now they're talking about being a shitty team until 2023? If they were to go every other year where they loaded up and went for it and then were in last place the following season, it would be one thing. But to make the playoffs only 4 times in the last 11 seasons is brutal.

To compare, the Yankees have only missed the playoffs 3 times in that same span and the Dodgers have also only missed 3 times. That's your competition.

Right but even the Yankees had a down year where they had to get under the tax threshold. They could keep spending to try and correct the f*** ups but with the CBT they would have eventually had to spend a year under to re set due to the other penalties that come along with non-compliance, not just the huge tax Bill you get hit with.

They aren’t looking at a multi year rebuild unless their farm system all busts. Even in the Mookie trade Bloom traded for guys that were close to the major league level or already there. If Downs and Casas are legit, they have their entire infield solved.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

I believe Dombrowski got fired because he excluded Henry and definitely Werner from baseball decisions. He along with former Atlanta GM they DD hired as advisor and Tony LaRussa ran a tight knit group.

my guesstimate is one of the Fab Four of VP executives that remained were a link to Henry.

Dombrowski signing Sale seemed way way to premature and screwed him

As for Moncada I don’t recollect any impact or borderline star player Dombrowski traded that killed their franchise

The reliever for Kinsler good and Margot a tease but bounced around

I’m reading and listening to all these stories and can’t put finger on others

I personally would go the Bloom right and had no problem turfing Dave - he seemed a bit too smarmy to me so I can’t imagine what John Henry thought

Also Keith Law, Jim Callis, or Jonathan Mayo all evaluators said Dombrowski brought in lot of young talent at low level - actually did well

I’m a hockey guy not an evaluator but I watch lots of MLB Network, read BB Prospectus, BBA and I’m going with those folks knowledge

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Right but even the Yankees had a down year where they had to get under the tax threshold. They could keep spending to try and correct the f*** ups but with the CBT they would have eventually had to spend a year under to re set due to the other penalties that come along with non-compliance, not just the huge tax Bill you get hit with.

They aren’t looking at a multi year rebuild unless their farm system all busts. Even in the Mookie trade Bloom traded for guys that were close to the major league level or already there. If Downs and Casas are legit, they have their entire infield solved.
Yes this 4 year rebuild where they suck is comical

we are at 37% so far (60 games)

Last edited:
Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Oh man, I'm so jealous. I'll be working until I die. They'll just roll me out of the way for the new person to take my place.
Thanks- too young but forced out by jealous co workers (all men who hate sports)

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
He won yes but was exited quickly. Som seem to go through GMs faster than most teams bc the vision changes all the time
I agree.

And this is my biggest gripe with FSG.

One day Epstein and Cherington want to build a $200 million scouting and development machine, and the next day they're signing Carl Crawford and Pablo Sandoval and hiring Dave Dombrowski. They need to settle on an organizational identity and stick with it.

I believe Dombrowski got fired because he excluded Henry and definitely Werner from baseball decisions. He along with former Atlanta GM they DD hired as advisor and Tony LaRussa ran a tight knit group.
I don't have any inside knowledge, but my guess is that ownership knew they'd have to rebuild, and that's not exactly Dombrowski's area of expertise.

Reactions: DKH

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I agree.

One day Epstein and Cherington want to build a $200 million scouting and development machine, and the next day they're signing Carl Crawford and Pablo Sandoval and hiring Dave Dombrowski. They need to settle on an organizational identity and stick with it.

I don't have any inside knowledge, but my guess is that ownership knew they'd have to rebuild, and that's not exactly Dombrowski's area of expertise.
That story was out there/ Henry excluded

Reactions: Gator Mike

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I agree.

Lowballing Jon Lester who embraced Boston and signing David Price who hated playing in Boston was a far worse example of FSG's poor judgment.

Reactions: N o o d l e s
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad