2021 Blues Regular Season multi-purpose thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I honestly believe this team needs a Holm in the backend. Whether that Holm is Ek or Lind it doesn't matter. The issue is definitely cap space tho

This after the trade deadline would be absolutely disgusting.

Lindholm-Parayko
Krug-Faulk
Peru/Scandella-Bortuzzo
Won't be Ekholm as he just signed extension.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
It's tough to complain about the defense, because most of the goals that the Blues have allowed have been in garbage time of games they've already had well in hand. You don't want to get into bad habits, but if the biggest concern is that they start to coast after they've dug out of a hole and buried an opponent, I'd say that's looking for something to complain about. Special teams have been great, the passing has been sharp and the creativity has been evident in the offensive zone. But they're supporting each other well, and clearing the zone better than at any point in the past two years.

I'm starting to believe that this defense may be up to the task of establishing the Blues as one of the teams to beat in the West. Binner has been terrific, and while we'd all like another weapon on the back-end for Chief to rely on, the bottom-line guys are holding their own while the Blues top lines feast on the other teams insufficient depth. If the Blues can keep up this level of play for another couple of weeks, the main boards will start accusing the Blues of coming to burn down their villages.

How much of this is score effect? We have had big leads in 3/4 games and that tends to skew these kind of stats.

It wasn't so much of a complaint as providing more context. The score effect is part of it, but we have also been under fire when the game is close. Its hard to say at this point is how much is laying off the gas, and how much is just being average defensively. Its still early, so taking anything away from playing 4 games is fairly useless.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I honestly believe this team needs a Holm in the backend. Whether that Holm is Ek or Lind it doesn't matter. The issue is definitely cap space tho

This after the trade deadline would be absolutely disgusting.

Lindholm-Parayko
Krug-Faulk
Peru/Scandella-Bortuzzo

I don't think Lindholm really fixes the perceived issue here. The top pairing of Scandella and Parayko in itself is pretty decent. The weak point is localized on the second pairing with Krug and Faulk. Both are good puck movers, but neither of their defensive game is considered a strength, and having them both on the same pairing is the problem. You could move either of them to the 3rd pairing, but then you're paying a 3rd pairing defensemen 6.5M AAV (the current 3rd pairing with Walman and Bortuzzo is probably okay). I was never a huge fan of signing Krug seeing how Faulk can run a powerplay just fine, but Krug is here to stay with his NTC. On the flip side, having Krug and Faulk means that Parayko doesn't have to run either powerplay unit and can recharge on the bench for even strength and penalty kill time. At this time, I have accepted this D core as a not-so-great defensively but will-help-generate-scoring-chances group. Now the Blues have become a more offensive than defensive team, and it feels weird but also exciting.

Reactions: Meatball

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
The top pairing of Scandella and Parayko in itself is pretty decent.

Scandella has been fine so far against weak competition, but we'll have to see how it goes long term. Scandella was very good when he arrived, but struggled last year. Yea, he dealt with injuries and the team, as a whole, was a problem, but his position is the most obvious upgrade. Putting a higher impact defenseman in his place and then getting to play him on a lower pairing could be huge. The Blues only had three top 4 defensemen when they won the Cup, but that'd be five. I think that one move could take the Blues from having defense as a weakness to having it as an outright strength.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
How much of this is score effect? We have had big leads in 3/4 games and that tends to skew these kind of stats.
Interesting point. Even smaller sample but when the game is within one goal we're 8th worst in CA/60 and 3rd worst in xGA/60 against rate. I think the team has played well, but IMO there's no denying we've benefitted from good goaltending and a hot powerplay,

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Scandella has been fine so far against weak competition, but we'll have to see how it goes long term. Scandella was very good when he arrived, but struggled last year. Yea, he dealt with injuries and the team, as a whole, was a problem, but his position is the most obvious upgrade. Putting a higher impact defenseman in his place and then getting to play him on a lower pairing could be huge. The Blues only had three top 4 defensemen when they won the Cup, but that'd be five. I think that one move could take the Blues from having defense as a weakness to having it as an outright strength.

See, I don't think Scandella is the weak point in the D group. He is a fine shutdown defenseman. The weak point is the lack of shutdown ability in the Krug-Faulk pairing, and both of those guys are now stapled to the top 4, so getting a new LHD doesn't really change that.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
See, I don't think Scandella is the weak point in the D group. He is a fine shutdown defenseman. The weak point is the lack of shutdown ability in the Krug-Faulk pairing, and both of those guys are now stapled to the top 4, so getting a new LHD doesn't really change that.

Scandella can be a fine shutdown defenseman, but he's not ideal as a partner for Parayko. It's not about Scandella being "the weak point," it's that his specific role is the most obvious point of upgrade. If you have a better partner for Parayko, you can move Scandella down and your entire defense improves.

Plus, I think Faulk is a good defenseman. He played well shouldering a huge load last season and will look even better as long as Parayko stays healthy. That #2 pairing is generally an advantageous pairing for the Blues against most opponents. And if either of those guys has a bad night or gets hurt, the D basically looks the same. What happens if Scandella has a bad night or gets hurt? Who rides shotgun to Parayko on the shutdown pair? Getting a new lefty D changes all of that and also gives you answers to scary "what ifs."

Reactions: Zezel’s Pretzels

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
Hey guys, Canucks fan here who's intrigued by Kyrou. How is he not getting time on PP1 with his insane start?

Do you have Kyrou on your fantasy team?
If PP1 struggles at some point he will be moved up. He is perfect for carrying the puck into the zone to set up the PP, not to mention his ability to possess the puck, pass the puck, shoot the puck and deke defenders and goalies.
I was thinking the same thing about him not being on PP1 until the power play became sooooo hot.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Perron remains an incredibly valuable and important part of the Blues' offense. I'm sure he saw the 35yo Pavelski 3x7M open market contract. Would he take 3x6 to 3x6.5M to remain in St.Louis?

Reactions: Mike Liut

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I don't think Lindholm really fixes the perceived issue here. The top pairing of Scandella and Parayko in itself is pretty decent. The weak point is localized on the second pairing with Krug and Faulk. Both are good puck movers, but neither of their defensive game is considered a strength, and having them both on the same pairing is the problem. You could move either of them to the 3rd pairing, but then you're paying a 3rd pairing defensemen 6.5M AAV (the current 3rd pairing with Walman and Bortuzzo is probably okay). I was never a huge fan of signing Krug seeing how Faulk can run a powerplay just fine, but Krug is here to stay with his NTC. On the flip side, having Krug and Faulk means that Parayko doesn't have to run either powerplay unit and can recharge on the bench for even strength and penalty kill time. At this time, I have accepted this D core as a not-so-great defensively but will-help-generate-scoring-chances group. Now the Blues have become a more offensive than defensive team, and it feels weird but also exciting.
Not sure where narrative that Faulk isn’t good defensively came from, but it isn’t true. He is excellent 1 on 1, our best at standing up at blueline, and has great stick.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Not sure where narrative that Faulk isn’t good defensively came from, but it isn’t true. He is excellent 1 on 1, our best at standing up at blueline, and has great stick.
He plays an agressive, high-risk style of defending. He likes to challenge the puck carrier and will go out of position to do so, expecting his partner to read the play and pick up one of the other forwards. When it works, it results in the play going the other way, and the Blues have possession. When it fails. however, it often results in a goal against. It also forces the goaltender to exercise more rebound control, as at least one of the defenders will be caught out of position.

Last edited:

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Perron remains an incredibly valuable and important part of the Blues' offense. I'm sure he saw the 35yo Pavelski 3x7M open market contract. Would he take 3x6 to 3x6.5M to remain in St.Louis?

3x 5 or 3x6 would be good. Don’t want to go over 3 yrs though.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He plays an agressive, high-risk style of defending. He likes to challenge the puck carrier and will go out of position to do so, expecting his partner to read the play and pick up one of the other forwards. When it works, it results in the play going the other way, and the Blues have possession. When it fails. however, it often results in a goal against. It also forces the goaltender to exercise more rebound control, as at least one of the defenders will be caught out of position.
He seems to win far more of these than he loses.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
3x 5 or 3x6 would be good. Don’t want to go over 3 yrs though.
Three should be pretty easy to mutually settle on. At the end of it, if he's still going strong and wants another deal the Blues would presumably have the inside track again.

When you compare his value to the value of others on the roster he definitely deserves 6.5M. Market probably does offer him 3 x 7M if the Blues don't sign him. Perron has always done team friendly deals and 6.0-6.5 is another discount.

Everyone can see the logjam piling up with Kyrou and Thomas contracts due a year after, I just don't know that Perron should be the odd man out for the 2023, 2024, 2025 playoff runs because he hadn't been extended yet when Thomas and Kyrou showed they would get raises.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Three should be pretty easy to mutually settle on. At the end of it, if he's still going strong and wants another deal the Blues would presumably have the inside track again.

When you compare his value to the value of others on the roster he definitely deserves 6.5M. Market probably does offer him 3 x 7M if the Blues don't sign him. Perron has always done team friendly deals and 6.0-6.5 is another discount.

Everyone can see the logjam piling up with Kyrou and Thomas contracts due a year after, I just don't know that Perron should be the odd man out for the 2023, 2024, 2025 playoff runs because he hadn't been extended yet when Thomas and Kyrou showed they would get raises.
Kyrou, Thomas, ROR, Tarasenko, Barbie, and Sunny all come up after next year. That is gonna be huge challenge with basically flat cap.

Reactions: Mike Liut

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Kyrou, Thomas, ROR, Tarasenko, Barbie, and Sunny all come up after next year. That is gonna be huge challenge with basically flat cap.
ROR and Kyrou stay, Tarasenko gone, Thomas is a wild card (if moved, moved for a needed upgrade somewhere), and maybe only one of Barabashev/Sundqvist from that group if I'm guessing.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

We better hope Kostin, Neighbors and Bolduc pan out. We’re going to need them.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think you under-rate Krug-Faulk as a second pairing that can be strategically deployed. They're already causing headaches for the opposition and have the underlying numbers to support that. I think the key will be how well Scandella can hold up to Parayko's minutes (assuming Parayko himself holds up). Without looking at the minutes, just from my eyes, it looks like Faulk is getting some shifts with Parayko occasionally (and so is Walman). I think the coaching staff is probably going to play with that for a while, but the goal seems to be to not overload Scandella (wise).

I just don't see Krug-Faulk as 2nd pairing as a negative at all. Its more about the problems it forces on the opposition.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
1 - He's already taken below market value to come to St Louis.
2 - I've heard him say more than once words the effect that "you only need so much money". I think he's a guy who puts value on his personal happiness more than an extra million on a contract. That doesn't mean the team can abuse him with a poor offer, but I think it won't be terribly hard to come to an agreement that works for both sides.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
In Krug's most recent interview he talked about how comfortable he is paired with Faulk and how they both think the game the same way. If that's true, and what you say is accurate, sounds like Krug is a good partner to have for Faulk's style. I have to admit, I really enjoyed the few times he stepped up at the blue-line the past game or so and surprised the puck-carrier. I wish our defense made it harder to enter the zone, so I like seeing that. Just so it doesn't become so predictable that teams can abuse the tendency.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I think you under-rate Krug-Faulk as a second pairing that can be strategically deployed. They're already causing headaches for the opposition and have the underlying numbers to support that. I think the key will be how well Scandella can hold up to Parayko's minutes (assuming Parayko himself holds up). Without looking at the minutes, just from my eyes, it looks like Faulk is getting some shifts with Parayko occasionally (and so is Walman). I think the coaching staff is probably going to play with that for a while, but the goal seems to be to not overload Scandella (wise).

I just don't see Krug-Faulk as 2nd pairing as a negative at all. Its more about the problems it forces on the opposition.

In Krug's most recent interview he talked about how comfortable he is paired with Faulk and how they both think the game the same way. If that's true, and what you say is accurate, sounds like Krug is a good partner to have for Faulk's style. I have to admit, I really enjoyed the few times he stepped up at the blue-line the past game or so and surprised the puck-carrier. I wish our defense made it harder to enter the zone, so I like seeing that. Just so it doesn't become so predictable that teams can abuse the tendency.

Honestly, I have more faith in Scandella than a lot of posters here. That being said, if Army decided to do nothing about our defense, I'd still pick this team to be a contender based on the forward depth and goaltending we have. I don't care what everyone says about Binnington, there are only 4-5 guys I'd pick ahead of him.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Honestly, I have more faith in Scandella than a lot of posters here. That being said, if Army decided to do nothing about our defense, I'd still pick this team to be a contender based on the forward depth and goaltending we have. I don't care what everyone says about Binnington, there are only 4-5 guys I'd pick ahead of him.
If you assume nothing happens until the trade deadline, and that Tarasenko is playing as well as he looks lately, I think he COULD be moved in-season. But I still favor an off-season trade.

If you parted with Scandella and Tarasenko for a quality LHD and some kind of forward prospect or support player (probably need some salary coming back there) I'm not that sure it would make the team better this season. I won't be shocked if Armstrong just makes a non-exciting depth acquisition at the deadline (looking WAY ahead here).

Part of the issue is: are we talking about a 'hockey trade' with the main pieces being Tarasenko for LHD, or are we talking about a trade deadline move where the selling team is more interested in futures for a rental D? Its hard to structure a trade that makes sense for all parties.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Scandella can be a fine shutdown defenseman, but he's not ideal as a partner for Parayko. It's not about Scandella being "the weak point," it's that his specific role is the most obvious point of upgrade. If you have a better partner for Parayko, you can move Scandella down and your entire defense improves.

Plus, I think Faulk is a good defenseman. He played well shouldering a huge load last season and will look even better as long as Parayko stays healthy. That #2 pairing is generally an advantageous pairing for the Blues against most opponents. And if either of those guys has a bad night or gets hurt, the D basically looks the same. What happens if Scandella has a bad night or gets hurt? Who rides shotgun to Parayko on the shutdown pair? Getting a new lefty D changes all of that and also gives you answers to scary "what ifs."

Any good D partner will be less effective when facing an injury. When Scandella was first traded here, his first 10 or so games with Parayko looked very promising before the season was shut down due to COVID. I'm not sure what more you are expecting from a D partner? He's not as good as JBo, but even the difference between JBo and Scandella wouldn't change the Blues from being a pretender to a contender. Agree to disagree I guess.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
If you assume nothing happens until the trade deadline, and that Tarasenko is playing as well as he looks lately, I think he COULD be moved in-season. But I still favor an off-season trade.

If you parted with Scandella and Tarasenko for a quality LHD and some kind of forward prospect or support player (probably need some salary coming back there) I'm not that sure it would make the team better this season. I won't be shocked if Armstrong just makes a non-exciting depth acquisition at the deadline (looking WAY ahead here).

Part of the issue is: are we talking about a 'hockey trade' with the main pieces being Tarasenko for LHD, or are we talking about a trade deadline move where the selling team is more interested in futures for a rental D? Its hard to structure a trade that makes sense for all parties.

We'll have to see. Another thing to consider is how Perunovich fits in after this season. Do they really want to play him as as RHD as a left hander? Or could he be the upgrade that we are looking for? If they decided to keep him on the left side, where would he fit in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad