Roster Moves: 2021/22 Roster Thread III: 50 shades of bland

Status
Not open for further replies.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
was happy with the pick because I know he'll be good -- just had a few others higher given potential ceilings. Wasn't a bad process pick or anything. His hands are as soft and passing as crisp as you'll see. Maybe an organization drills into him to let it loose more often. It's in there. Will that be this nothing-but-defense lame ass organization?
It’s really hard to make someone let loose, and usually it’s easier to have someone reel it in. Not saying it won’t happen but that’s a stylistic approach that he’s had since juniors, and it’s really effective. It’s certainly not going to happen under this coaching staff.

I like him, but I think there might be some forwards taken after him that may be higher impact players in 5 years. He’s certainly a better pick than I had originally thought.

Reactions: Magua

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
wait so this is a completed rebuild ?

yikes, thats even worseeeee....

Its not. It never was, and there were rightful concerns about that decision at the time.

I dont know in what world they expected to find the next "generation" picking nearly in the middle of the first round every season of a retool, with - and here is the key - piss poor development. That 2nd overall wasn't supposed to happen to begin with, because Hextall wasn't aggressive enough to ensure the Flyers would fall to that level.

We are seeing the same thing today, except its something worse. Some naive belief that they can compete with what we see in front of us. Even with players healthy, this doesn't hold a candle to the top clubs of the league. The coaching is a problem, but there isn't nearly enough talent in this lineup to continue going forward status quo.

To start this season, yet again we see young stars being introduced into the league. Not a Flyer in sight.

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
To be fair, no one thought Spurgeon would become as good as he is either. He was a 6th rounder. Somewhere along the way he took huge unexpected strides. Maybe York can too.

I mean, sure. He was also a 6th rounder because of his size and being a late bloomer. But York has been on the scene for a long time and been pretty advanced for his age at each level. I’m just saying he’s not some prodigious defender like people make out (Timonen, etc.); he’s competent and good in ways. That’s totally fine! It’s the offensive dynamism that affects his projection the most. I think he’s good, not great in that area. I think York is a terrific prospect; like certain other players, it’s more a matter of liking him for what he is and not what he isn’t.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I had York at #14, I think. He went #14. It's never really been a case of being negative towards him......I just expect him to be a good PP, hopefully play driving 2nd pair guy. His efficiency is his strength and weakness; he's consistently average-above average, with very few poor games and very few commanding ones. It's hard for me to see him becoming a dominant player at ES or PP because he doesn't take enough risks. He has great gaps and a good stick, but anyone who tries to compensate and sell him as Spurgeon defensively is laying it on thick. Even on the PP, for as much as he's billed as the high-end heir to the PP1 throne, he's more a good manager than a dynamic weapon.

I was happy with the pick because I know he'll be good -- just had a few others higher given potential ceilings. Wasn't a bad process pick or anything. His hands are as soft and passing as crisp as you'll see. Maybe an organization drills into him to let it loose more often. It's in there. Will that be this nothing-but-defense lame ass organization?

Maybe they can? Recognizing he needs to be aggressive is at least something.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Maybe they can? Recognizing he needs to be aggressive is at least something.

That’s fair — I hope I’m wrong. We’ll see what happens if he makes a mistake being aggressive. Also, that team could be blitzkrieged in shot differentials, so we’ll see how easy it is for him to jump into plays and attack.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
The big thing is it needs to come from Cam himself. He needs to be the one consciously make that decision, and then actively change his game.

You have to imagine this isn’t the first time he’s heard that comment.
This will be his first year as a pro so hopefully a different regimen will produce different results.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I mean, sure. He was also a 6th rounder because of his size and being a late bloomer. But York has been on the scene for a long time and been pretty advanced for his age at each level. I’m just saying he’s not some prodigious defender like people make out (Timonen, etc.); he’s competent and good in ways. That’s totally fine! It’s the offensive dynamism that affects his projection the most. I think he’s good, not great in that area. I think York is a terrific prospect; like certain other players, it’s more a matter of liking him for what he is and not what he isn’t.

being neither defensively prodigious nor overly offensively dynanismistmatic seems like a typical Flyer.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There is nothing wrong with being "quietly efficient," making the right plays, making crisp accurate outlet passes, avoiding turnovers, etc.
York lacks the skill to be a "flashy" offensive defenseman, but how many are net positives at even strength? (think OEL).
There are very few high impact offensive defensemen:
2019-2021:
44 D-men score 1+ pp/60, only 12 score 1.2+ pp/60. (Yandle 38, Sanheim 64)
Carlson, Maker, DeAngelo, Ellis, Josi, Weegar, Hamilton, Ekblad, Barrie, Muzzin, Theodore, Letang

If York is a solid top 4 D-man with a xGF > 52% for a decade, who cares if he fails to make ESPN highlight plays?

Reactions: wasup

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There is nothing wrong with being "quietly efficient," making the right plays, making crisp accurate outlet passes, avoiding turnovers, etc.
York lacks the skill to be a "flashy" offensive defenseman, but how many are net positives at even strength? (think OEL).
There are very few high impact offensive defensemen:
2019-2021:
44 D-men score 1+ pp/60, only 12 score 1.2+ pp/60. (Yandle 38, Sanheim 64)
Carlson, Maker, DeAngelo, Ellis, Josi, Weegar, Hamilton, Ekblad, Barrie, Muzzin, Theodore, Letang

If York is a solid top 4 D-man with a xGF > 52% for a decade, who cares if he fails to make ESPN highlight plays?

We need a 1D, but sure. Who cares when they repeatedly fail to find one?

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
No one really said there’s something wrong with it. More of talk about how there are guys with higher upside. I think we all are fine with the pick tho. Yorks from my hometown so I’m pulling for him like crazy.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
61C4E0A0-1423-4893-8C68-DD9897F19799.png
Would’ve look nice on our backend!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

No, we need two solid pairs, there are only a handful of dominant defensemen, just being flashy on offense doesn't make you dominant, it's reserved for guys who control play over 200 feet.

What good teams have are two solid pairs that can play 45+ minutes a night between them, so you can get by with an average third pair that can be sheltered. So if York can be one of that quartet, he's a solid pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad