Injury Report: 2021/22 Injury Thread Part II of ∞

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Really hope that they gave Byram enough time to be completely free of symptoms and that Byram isn't toughing this one out. Pure speculation of course but I remain skeptical after him missing pretty much the whole season last year that he comes back after 6 games this year. I really hope he's fully healed up because if he takes another concussion at this stage in his career, you really need to question his longing for this sport.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Why would Francouz come on the trip? Like how does he not qualify for an AHL conditioning stint, or if he is, why aren't the Avs sending him down to play some games down there first.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Really hope that they gave Byram enough time to be completely free of symptoms and that Byram isn't toughing this one out. Pure speculation of course but I remain skeptical after him missing pretty much the whole season last year that he comes back after 6 games this year. I really hope he's fully healed up because if he takes another concussion at this stage in his career, you really need to question his longing for this sport.
No such thing anymore as "toughing it out" when it comes to concussions. Either he's ready or he's not, simple as that. It's not a joint/muscle/ligament injury where there's a bit of pain but he'll try to play through it.

If Byram is saying he's ready to go, he must not have any symptoms at all.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
No such thing anymore as "toughing it out" when it comes to concussions. Either he's ready or he's not, simple as that. It's not a joint/muscle/ligament injury where there's a bit of pain but he'll try to play through it.

If Byram is saying he's ready to go, he must not have any symptoms at all.

Concussions like all injuries involve quite a subjective aspect to determine when one is good to go or not. I'm just hoping he really is all good and hasn't been experiencing any symptomology since the incident that he might be downplaying in order to draw into the lineup.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Concussions like all injuries involve quite a subjective aspect to determine when one is good to go or not. I'm just hoping he really is all good and hasn't been experiencing any symptomology since the incident that he might be downplaying in order to draw into the lineup.

They took a super-cautious approach with him before, I trust they will not rush him back now.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Good to know they were patient and gave him extra time before bringing him back. You’d never know he missed six games they way he looked tonight.

Reactions: jabubenice

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I think the Avs learned a lot from Hishon, Timmins, and most recently Calvert in how they want to deal with concussed players going forward.

They didn't have any control over Hishon and Timmins, but it always pissed me off that Drew Banister and the Greyhounds trainers let Timmins finish the game after that big hit that clearly put him at risk of a concussion. I would bet continuing to take contact without giving his brain the proper rest led to the concussion being worse than it needed to be.

Same with Calvert. I think they treated his concussion too much like they used to treat concussions for guys like Lindros and Roenick. Perhaps because Matty wasn't completely honest, but he was just thrown back out there like the guys I mentioned, and it had a big impact on their career and quality of life after hockey. Haven't seen Lindros much but Roenick is just a mess.

They had Calvert sit out just 1 game in the playoffs after that massive hit from Burns on the empty net. Then he came back and played the next game. Then he missed the rest of the playoffs. This was a terrible idea to let him come back that quick after that hit. I felt like I was concussed just watching it.

They also let Calvert play last year after concussion problems wearing that pink visor. Which never sat well with me, because that meant he was still having a lot of light sensitivity, which is one of the main symptoms of post concussions syndrome. Then he ended up retiring after the season.

Thankfully they don't appear to be taking that approach with Bo and hopefully it benefits his career and quality of life moving forward because of it.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I think the Avs learned a lot from Hishon, Timmins, and most recently Calvert in how they want to deal with concussed players going forward.

They didn't have any control over Hishon and Timmins, but it always pissed me off that Drew Banister and the Greyhounds trainers let Timmins finish the game after that big hit that clearly put him at risk of a concussion. I would bet continuing to take contact without giving his brain the proper rest led to the concussion being worse than it needed to be.

Same with Calvert. I think they treated his concussion too much like they used to treat concussions for guys like Lindros and Roenick. Perhaps because Matty wasn't completely honest, but he was just thrown back out there like the guys I mentioned, and it had a big impact on their career and quality of life after hockey. Haven't seen Lindros much but Roenick is just a mess.

They had Calvert sit out just 1 game in the playoffs after that massive hit from Burns on the empty net. Then he came back and played the next game. Then he missed the rest of the playoffs. This was a terrible idea to let him come back that quick after that hit. I felt like I was concussed just watching it.

They also let Calvert play last year after concussion problems wearing that pink visor. Which never sat well with me, because that meant he was still having a lot of light sensitivity, which is one of the main symptoms of post concussions syndrome. Then he ended up retiring after the season.

Thankfully they don't appear to be taking that approach with Bo and hopefully it benefits his career and quality of life moving forward because of it.

It also helps that Avalanche doesn't desperately need Byram right now and that helps to give him rest if needed. And don't get me wrong, absolutely he is very promising player that already plays very well, but it is not like the team would be completely screwed if he is out an extra week or two.

Reactions: Foppa2118

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
It also helps that Avalanche doesn't desperately need Byram right now and that helps to give him rest if needed. And don't get me wrong, absolutely he is very promising player that already plays very well, but it is not like the team would be completely screwed if he is out an extra week or two.

Sorry but as much as I want Byram on the team, a hockey career is not worth having CTE.

I have my issues with JB at times but not playing Byram or EJ in the PO against the VGK was the right decision. Protect the player first. That’s a non-negotiable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad