GDT: 2020 NHL Entry Draft [SN, NBCSN; 6PM Central]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I doubt there’s a single player in this draft that’s a better stick handler or technical skater than he is.

Zero defensive effort and is weak as hell, but when he’s on, he’s mesmerizing.

Reactions: Elysian and Satan

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Haha Dallas is trying to mimic the Leafs with their picks.

They already have a deep chart of solid depth players so I suppose they're in a place to take risks. But the Jeremy Bracco comparison is far from flattering...

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

They already have a deep chart of solid depth players so I suppose they're in a place to take risks. But the Jeremy Bracco comparison is far from flattering...

Does he force teammates to do coke?

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW

Only comparable due to their skating style and frame. Stranges has a much better shot than Bracco.

Stranges got very little power play time this year and regularly got shifts with 3rd/4th line talent. If he got the same opportunities as Evangelista, he would have likely had a better stat line.

Reactions: Elysian

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Interesting. I've never heard this story before.

An OHL player came out about shit he was forced to do by teammates, bullying, etc. I think it was determined that Bracco was the guy at a party forcing young teammates to do coke in the bathroom based on the information in the interview.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Only comparable due to their skating style and frame. Stranges has a much better shot than Bracco.

Stranges got very little power play time this year and regularly got shifts with 3rd/4th line talent. If he got the same opportunities as Evangelista, he would have likely had a better stat line.
Not worried about the stat line.

Simply seems like the Stars are taking some risks on boom or bust talents. These players don't really fit within the identity that the Stars have built for themselves. But they're young, they have time to mature, grow as players and develop. They won't be in the league for years to come, in any case.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW

Simply seems like the Stars are taking some risks on boom or bust talents. These players don't really fit within the identity that the Stars have built for themselves. But they're young, they have time to mature, grow as players and develop. They won't be in the league for years to come, in any case.
I appreciate the risk taking. Better to take someone with high upside than someone who doesn’t have the skills to ever make an impact.

Reactions: LT and masinaLFC

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
I appreciate the risk taking. Better to take someone with high upside than someone who doesn’t have the skills to ever make an impact.
I think that's a common sentiment.

I tend to think that having a high impact is the type of thing that the current Dallas players and Dallas styles specialize in. People would ridicule their upsides but they have enough collective impact to run over teams that should have had much higher upside. We'll see how the players develop, but they will need to learn to play system hockey if they hope to make the team.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

You can sign bottom 6 players out of the NCAA or from Europe- time to take the talent, especially when you're short on picks.

Great job so far from the Stars.

Reactions: Starry Knight

serp

Jan 17, 2016
You can sign bottom 6 talent any day of the week on July 1. You might as well get someone who has upside in the draft .. picking players like Jermaine Loewen is useless.

Loewen was clearly picked because of the story and probably because Gaglardi pushed it to happen since he also owns the Kamloops Blazers.

Reactions: LT

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Also of note, there are a lot of USNTDP fans that hate him just because he left for London. His prospects board thread is filled with them.

He obviously has a long way to go and didn’t progress as well as hoped this year, but he has elite skills. Hopefully Dale Hunter does a better job of coaching him this year.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I think that's a common sentiment.

I tend to think that having a high impact is the type of thing that the current Dallas players and Dallas styles specialize in. People would ridicule their upsides but they have enough collective impact to run over teams that should have had much higher upside. We'll see how the players develop, but they will need to learn to play system hockey if they hope to make the team.

There's no guarantee the system is even the same by the time these guys are ready. So take the outstanding offensive talent and see if you can teach him defense but you can't teach a 3rd line junior player how to score at an NHL level.

Reactions: LT

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
You can sign bottom 6 players out of the NCAA or from Europe- time to take the talent, especially when you're short on picks.

Great job so far from the Stars.
You can sign "bottom 6 players", yes, you can also sign "top 6 players", the question is never what you "can" do but the quality with which you can do it. "Bottom 6 players" are not made the same. Teams that skimp out on having elite mid-6 and bottom-6 talent end up without the ability to keep pucks out of their net when they most desperately need to.

Talent itself is even in the eye of the beholder. The Dallas Stars this year were a talented team. The Vegas Golden Knights, the New York Islanders, were talented teams, if you view the game in a certain way. And it worked for them. I'm warming up to Bourque, but I don't see Stranges playing Dallas Stars hockey, at least not for a very long time. Unless Dallas wants to become a discount version of other teams which try to play around individual playmaking, in which case I don't think Dallas would have very much success, but maybe fans would be happier.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Also of note, there are a lot of USNTDP fans that hate him just because he left for London. His prospects board thread is filled with them.

He obviously has a long way to go and didn’t progress as well as hoped this year, but he has elite skills. Hopefully Dale Hunter does a better job of coaching him this year.

Wait people are bitching because he decided to go play for one of the best junior organizations in NA. People suck.

Reactions: Johno
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad