Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
No way it takes Rakell to go from 27 to the mid teens. Usually you trade up if a guy falls and you had him rated way higher. A good example is probably Sanderson falling to 18 & us trading 27 & our 2nd for the 18.
I was thinking going from 27 to say 12 or 13. Rakell is the only asset we have that I could see a team be willing to take to make that big of a jump. Going up to 18 is a little more likely, but I have to imagine it would cost more than just our 2nd to get there.

anyone know of a similar situation where a team did jump up almost 10 spots in the draft, just to get an idea of what it could cost?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The more I look into this draft the more I think Perfetti is the guy I hope falls to us at 6. He checks all the boxes. I know his skating is questionable but how many of the top players in the league today have "skating" as their best attribute? Maybe McDavid and Point. But most of the best players are the smart players, and Perfetti is so smart (OHL Scholastic Player of the Year!).

If Detroit goes for Raymond/Rossi and then Ottawa takes Drysdale/Sanderson, taking Perfetti at 6 would be my ideal outcome.
I like that Perfetti has a great shot to go with that IQ.
Both Perfetti and Rossi i think will work on improving their skating alot after being drafted.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
I was thinking going from 27 to say 12 or 13. Rakell is the only asset we have that I could see a team be willing to take to make that big of a jump. Going up to 18 is a little more likely, but I have to imagine it would cost more than just our 2nd to get there.

anyone know of a similar situation where a team did jump up almost 10 spots in the draft, just to get an idea of what it could cost?
Last year we were about to trade 29 and 39 for 18. It just depends on the team at that spot.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
There is a zero percent chance Sanderson is available at 18. Literally zero.

Reactions: Getz2noone

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Yes but he will be gone before 14 100%

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Haha...I have no idea where he is going. Just going off what someone else was predicting. Either way, I'd love to get an elite d with top pair potential.
I'd love to trade up to get him, doubt we would be able to though.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
ESPN's Chris Peters gave his two-round mock. Surprisingly, the Ducks' selections are shown because the preview usually shows the top of the article and Anaheim is the first team alphabetically.

6th. RHD Drysdale
27th. RW Gunler
36th. RW Wiesblatt

I’d love to see the draft go

6. Rossi/Perfetti/Raymond
27. Reichel/lapierre
36. Barron

If we do trade Rakell or Manson and jump into the 13-20 range

I’d love to get 1 of Schneider/Zary

-Rossi and Perfetti give us game changer in our top 6
- reichel is a potential sniper , which we could use
- lapierre I feel would be flirting with top 10 if not for injuries
- Barron to me is a boom or bust at 36, but I think there is a lot of raw talent and could be a giant steal

I like zarys game a lot and gives us more depth options up front going forward

Schneider Seems like a guy that would be a solid future replacement for Manson

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Should the Ducks draft for "bpa + need", "bpa", or "need"?

If "bpa + need", then you gotta look at the NHL and prospects per grouping.

Goalie. Set with Gibby at NHL and Dostal as prospect.

Defense. Set at NHL level for a couple years or more. We have a top-5 + Curran. Middle prospects in Larsson and Guhle. Notable talents with LaCombe, Thrun, and RHD Andersson. Could use a blue chip prospect like Drysdale or Sanderson. One defenseman has established pattern of being more offensive and the other being more of a shutdown guy. Sanderson has the higher potential if he can become more offensive. Drysdale is a more complete defenseman, but is there something more that he brings?

Forward. We are not set at the NHL level. We have a plethora of young prospects that aren't consistent at the NHL level just yet. We have Zegras and Tracey last year. Zegras on the fast track the NHL and Tracey is the long term project. Nabbing a forward with the 6th overall would mean we're getting a better chance at an NHL player, and hopefully another stud like Zegras. I like Holtz, Rossi, and Raymond at 6th, in that order. We need a finisher and that's Holtz, but he brings more than goal scoring. We could use more talent down the middle, but would Rossi stay at center? Raymond may need more time as he might be a timid player that things will kick into a high gear to maximize his uber talents?

Seeing there's more players needed in the forward corps than any other grouping, then it might behoove us to add more top end talent in the forward grouping in case not many of our forward prospects pan out. The fact that Zegras moves to the top of the line in terms of talent and potential makes me value getting top end talent at forward more than defense.

I can see the Ducks take Drysdale. The reason behind that is because it's the easiest path to get to the playoffs by having a strong defense. Drysdale is also good at offense that he can drive plays for the Ducks more fluidly than any Duck defender today, save Curran (who is still an unknown quantity on NA ice, but potential is tantilizing!). That known quantity about Drysdale's offense is swaying me slightly more in his favor than Sanderson. Again, I wouldn't be upset if we drafted Sanderson either - elite shutdown defenseman still fits the easiest pathway to the playoffs. It fits a Bob Murray team.

We'd be a bit imbalanced talent-wise with the drafting of a defenseman. The recognition of both LaCombe and Thrun at the NCAA this past season along with the continued development of RHD Andersson makes us deep with hype talent. Add on the elderly prospects in Larsson and Guhle, then we're kinda sitting pretty. There's also Mahura. Fowler's here until 2025-26 season. Lindholm will be extended, probably past 2025-26 season. I can see Djoos hanging around that long too, being age 26, same age as Lindholm. Manson could also be re-signed to the 2025-26 season. We'd be spoiled to have have Drysdale or Sanderson.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

27. Reichel/lapierre
36. Barron

- Barron to me is a boom or bust at 36, but I think there is a lot of raw talent and could be a giant steal

I was high on Zary until Draft Dynasty covered him on one of his video scouting. Zary doesn't move the needle since we have a player like him, but better defensively in Lundestrom.

As for Schnieder, I'm meh on him. If you have us grabbing Barron at 36, then we have a possible Manson replacement there without trading Manson.

I'd add Greig to your 27/36 potential players. He's just fun to watch and his stock is rising!

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I was high on Zary until Draft Dynasty covered him on one of his video scouting. Zary doesn't move the needle since we have a player like him, but better defensively in Lundestrom.

As for Schnieder, I'm meh on him. If you have us grabbing Barron at 36, then we have a possible Manson replacement there without trading Manson.

I'd add Greig to your 27/36 potential players. He's just fun to watch and his stock is rising!

Barron I honestly don’t expect there at 36, and Schneider is based on a potential trade.

As for Zary I think he has a much higher upside than Lundy, I’d love to get jarvis or Quinn but i didn’t think they’d be available

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949

27. Reichel/lapierre
36. Barron

I’d rather trade Rakell or Manson for a 1st round pick in 2021 with a team who is a bubble playoff team or a team that is still rebuilding. Hope for this best that the pick ends up being what Ottawa got from San Jose. Imagine being able to draft a combination of Brandt Clarke, Owen Power, Kent Johnson, Carson Lambos, Aatu Raty, or Luke Hughes. Being able to draft 2 of these guys would be amazing.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’d rather trade Rakell or Manson for a 1st round pick in 2021 with a team who is a bubble playoff team or a team that is still rebuilding. Hope for this best that the pick ends up being what Ottawa got from San Jose. Imagine being able to draft a combination of Brandt Clarke, Owen Power, Kent Johnson, Carson Lambos, Aatu Raty, or Luke Hughes. Being able to draft 2 of these guys would be amazing.
That’s luck based tho , no body had San Jose as a bottom 5 team

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Top 31 in 2021 if anyone is curious. Lots of time for things to change but as of now: 9 Defenders, 13 Centres, 8 Wingers and 1 Goalie. In 2019 there were 10 Defenders taken in the first round.

1Aatu RätyCKärpät U20/KärpätU20 SM-sarja/Liiga
2Brandt ClarkeDBarrie ColtsOHL
3Owen PowerDUniversity of MichiganNCAA
4Carson LambosDWinnipeg IceWHL
5Dylan GuentherRWEdmonton Oil KingsWHL
6Kent JohnsonCUniversity of MichiganNCAA
7Chaz LuciusCU.S National U18 TeamNTDP
8Fabian LysellLWFrölunda HC J20SuperElit
9Luke HughesDU.S. National U18 TeamNTDP
10Simon EdvinssonDFrölunda HC J20/Frölunda HCSuperElit/SHL
11Zachary L’HeureuxCHalifax MooseheadsQMJHL
12Samu TuomaalaRWKärpät U20/KärpätU20 SM-sarja/Liiga
13Matthew BeniersCUniversity of MichiganNCAA
14Mason McTavishCPeterborough PetesOHL
15Daniil ChaykaDGuelph StormOHL
16Jesper WallstedtGLuleå HFSHL
17Cole SillingerCMedicine Hat TigersWHL
18Zachary BolducCRimouski OcéanicQMJHL
19Xavier BourgaultCShawinigan CataractesQMJHL
20Daniil LazutinCSKA-1946 St. PetersburgMHL
21Simon RobertssonRWSkellefteå AIK J20SuperElit
22Prokhor PolpatovRWKrasnaya Armiya MoskvaMHL
23Stanislav SvozilDHC Kometa BrnoCzech
24Zach DeanCGatineau OlympiquesQMJHL
25William EklundCDjurgårdens IF J20/Djurgårdens IFSuperElit/SHL
26Isak RosénLWLeksands IF J20SuperElit
27Sean BehrensDU.S. National U18 TeamNTDP
28Brennan OthmannLWFlint FirebirdsOHL
29Nikita ChibrikovWSKA-1946 St. PetersburgMHL
30Anton OlssonDMalmö Redhawks J20/Malmö RedhawksSuperElit/SHL
31Logan StankovenC/WKamloops BlazersWHL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Its hard to look at this and not think Luke Hughes will go screaming up this board in the next 8 months.
Hes as good of a skater as his brothers.
We might have a chance to get him...long ways away though

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Its hard to look at this and not think Luke Hughes will go screaming up this board in the next 8 months.
Hes as good of a skater as his brothers.
We might have a chance to get him...long ways away though
The younger brother tends to be the best one so I bet he ends up top 3. Would love to get him if we could.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Should the Ducks draft for "bpa + need", "bpa", or "need"?

If "bpa + need", then you gotta look at the NHL and prospects per grouping.

Goalie. Set with Gibby at NHL and Dostal as prospect.

Defense. Set at NHL level for a couple years or more. We have a top-5 + Curran. Middle prospects in Larsson and Guhle. Notable talents with LaCombe, Thrun, and RHD Andersson. Could use a blue chip prospect like Drysdale or Sanderson. One defenseman has established pattern of being more offensive and the other being more of a shutdown guy. Sanderson has the higher potential if he can become more offensive. Drysdale is a more complete defenseman, but is there something more that he brings?

Forward. We are not set at the NHL level. We have a plethora of young prospects that aren't consistent at the NHL level just yet. We have Zegras and Tracey last year. Zegras on the fast track the NHL and Tracey is the long term project. Nabbing a forward with the 6th overall would mean we're getting a better chance at an NHL player, and hopefully another stud like Zegras. I like Holtz, Rossi, and Raymond at 6th, in that order. We need a finisher and that's Holtz, but he brings more than goal scoring. We could use more talent down the middle, but would Rossi stay at center? Raymond may need more time as he might be a timid player that things will kick into a high gear to maximize his uber talents?

Seeing there's more players needed in the forward corps than any other grouping, then it might behoove us to add more top end talent in the forward grouping in case not many of our forward prospects pan out. The fact that Zegras moves to the top of the line in terms of talent and potential makes me value getting top end talent at forward more than defense.

I can see the Ducks take Drysdale. The reason behind that is because it's the easiest path to get to the playoffs by having a strong defense. Drysdale is also good at offense that he can drive plays for the Ducks more fluidly than any Duck defender today, save Curran (who is still an unknown quantity on NA ice, but potential is tantilizing!). That known quantity about Drysdale's offense is swaying me slightly more in his favor than Sanderson. Again, I wouldn't be upset if we drafted Sanderson either - elite shutdown defenseman still fits the easiest pathway to the playoffs. It fits a Bob Murray team.

We'd be a bit imbalanced talent-wise with the drafting of a defenseman. The recognition of both LaCombe and Thrun at the NCAA this past season along with the continued development of RHD Andersson makes us deep with hype talent. Add on the elderly prospects in Larsson and Guhle, then we're kinda sitting pretty. There's also Mahura. Fowler's here until 2025-26 season. Lindholm will be extended, probably past 2025-26 season. I can see Djoos hanging around that long too, being age 26, same age as Lindholm. Manson could also be re-signed to the 2025-26 season. We'd be spoiled to have have Drysdale or Sanderson.
I disagree that we are set on defense. If you want to go deep in the playoffs you need like three top pairing guys and we have one imo. Also, our d is older without any studs in the system, d take longer to develop, and d are really hard to trade for. At forward we have some young centers that could be good but tbd. Winger we have some young guys but need some more talent, but wingers are easy to find in free agency, easy to trade for and can be drafted and fit into the club relatively quickly.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

While I wouldn't mind getting a 2021 1st, I would not count on that scenario of it turning into a top 5 pick happening.

San Jose was more likely to be competing for a cup then miss the playoffs...

Reactions: Boo Boo

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
While I wouldn't mind getting a 2021 1st, I would not count on that scenario of it turning into a top 5 pick happening.

It happened for Colorado the year before too. And we were within a few random stupid wins at the end of a season by Ottawa in 2014 from getting Ehlers or Nylander instead of Ritchie. I’m not saying its likely and we should count on it but it’s absolutely worth getting a couple first round picks this “offseason” and praying that that team takes a dump

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949

I’d be happy with a top 10 which would be more realistic.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I disagree that we are set on defense. If you want to go deep in the playoffs you need like three top pairing guys and we have one imo. Also, our d is older without any studs in the system, d take longer to develop, and d are really hard to trade for. At forward we have some young centers that could be good but tbd. Winger we have some young guys but need some more talent, but wingers are easy to find in free agency, easy to trade for and can be drafted and fit into the club relatively quickly.

Going deep into the playoffs? I just want to get back first. heh

2017-18 defensive roster (last time we went to the playoffs)
King Beauch
Bxa
Fowler
Holzer
Magnus (Lindholm)
Manson
Megna
Montour
Pettersson
Vatanen... for about 15 games until we sent him off for Henrique.
Welinski​

2020-21 Projected defensive roster
Magnus
Manson
Fowler
Gudz
Djoos
Curran
Hankanpaa​

I agree that we have one top-pairing defenseman in Lindholm (26 yrs old), but we don't need a similarly top talent to complement Lindholm as proven by his mates in Manson (28 yrs old) and then Gudz. Fowler (28 yrs old) is an amazing second pairing defenseman and can exploit this well. Again, a defensive d-man complements Fowler well as we found out when Gudz was his mate. Djoos is a solid second pairing defenseman who we have as our #5. The dark horse is Curran as he could become PP1 QB and give us that offense from the blue line again. If Curran turns out to be a solid second pairing guy playing #6, then we've improved our defense drastically as we don't have to shelter our bottom pairing as well as ease the burden of playing time for the top 2 pairings.

This also means youngings like Larsson and Guhle get to stew longer in the AHL as well as provide us with more depth as a 6th defenseman. We might have gems in NCAA prospects LaCombe and Thrun. I've been reading up on Andersson. Apparently, he's likes to play offense, but needs to tune his defensive play. As of right now, there are no clear cut studs on defense in our system. This is why the additions of Gudz (28 yrs old), Djoos (just turned 26), and Curran (30) are important and should they pan out, then we don't needs studs right away. Getting Drysdale or Sanderson would make us spoiled defensively.

At forward, we're lacking NHL quality players and Getzlaf won't be around too long or have a reduced role. We're in dire need of top end talent. Before the 2019-20 season started, I was hyped on Steel, Terry, and Comtois! All that hype faded away during the season. We have Zegras coming up and it's so difficult to keep that hype train down. Zegras alone can't do it. He'll need help. Getzlaf had his twin, Perry, and usually another big forward like Penner, Maroon, or Eaves. Top end scoring forwards are difficult to find and expensive to get. We had to send Vatanen and a 2019 3rd round pick to get Henrique. Most teams don't let their top goal scorers on the cheap.

That would be my gamble. Try to get top end forward talent while we still have Lindholm around, possibly for the next 7 years. I would like our forwards to start carrying part of the load away from our defense and netminding. Going into next year, we're going to rely heavily on our defense and netminding if we want a playoff spot. Maybe Zegras can give us that jump start, but we need more than just Zegras going forward. I want to start living on the offensive end than holding onto dear life on the defensive end, hoping we don't exhaust Gibby into early retirement. LoL

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I'll bet anyone ducks won't make the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad