Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft (October 6th - 7th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
fyi guys unless we make it to the 3rd round or higher we will be giving the Devils the 19th pick as of today.

With the Rangers winning the lottery today, have we not made it past the Qualifier the Canucks would have been picking 11th.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
fyi guys unless we make it to the 3rd round or higher we will be giving the Devils the 19th pick as of today.

With the Rangers winning the lottery today, have we not made it past the Qualifier the Canucks would have been picking 11th.
Is it pick 19 or 20 as it stands now? Canucks are seeded 5th in the West despite 1 point less than Calgary cause they granted the Canucks points percentage. So logically would mean Calgary drafts before the Canucks pick. AZ and Chi behind both teams with Montreal the lowest in the east. So that should be 4 teams behind Vancouver for picks 16, 17, 18, 19.

I have no idea what else about the typical draft has changed. Final 4 teams will pick 28-31. No division winners I would guess. So everything up to 27 is based off regular season points.

have not heard if the 8 teams that lose round 1 will pick from 16-23, them the round 2 losers pick from 24-27, etc.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
We can finally close the book on the Miller trade. A 2020 first rounder, likely in the 18-21 range and a third rounder in 2019. Based on Miller's results so far, you can live with that.

But Canuck fans are in for a long wait on draft day.....Canucks likely won't be picking a player until 80-90 in the third round....and no Judd Brackett to bail them out.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
We can finally close the book on the Miller trade. A 2020 first rounder, likely in the 18-21 range and a third rounder in 2019. Based on Miller's results so far, you can live with that.

But Canuck fans are in for a long wait on draft day.....Canucks likely won't be picking a player until 80-90 in the third round....and no Judd Brackett to bail them out.
I feel like jimbo will try to at least get a 2nd rounder

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Is it pick 19 or 20 as it stands now? Canucks are seeded 5th in the West despite 1 point less than Calgary cause they granted the Canucks points percentage. So logically would mean Calgary drafts before the Canucks pick. AZ and Chi behind both teams with Montreal the lowest in the east. So that should be 4 teams behind Vancouver for picks 16, 17, 18, 19.

I have no idea what else about the typical draft has changed. Final 4 teams will pick 28-31. No division winners I would guess. So everything up to 27 is based off regular season points.

have not heard if the 8 teams that lose round 1 will pick from 16-23, them the round 2 losers pick from 24-27, etc.

2020 NHL Mock Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com

this site showed us giving the devils the 19th pick, I think it's corrected now to 20th.

We already finalized our 2020 rankings with him in the office already.

Reactions: F A N

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015

Judd bracket doesn't have Jim Benning to bail him out :sarcasm:

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008

It must be demoralizing for the scouting staff. Do all the tedious work of scouting players and the canucks have no draft picks.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It must be demoralizing for the scouting staff. Do all the tedious work of scouting players and the canucks have no draft picks.

Considering that the Canucks were in playoff position for most of the year the scouts are probably prepared for that.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I can see is definitely trying to snag a first rounder. Virtanen, Demko, Stetcher Etc will all be used to try and get that

Virtanen might get something but only a late pick in my position. He is an RFA that needs resigning and with our cap crunch teams might well wait to see if the Canucks can fit him under the cap.
Also might well be better to try and use Virtanen as sweeter in trying to dump Ericksson.

Demko is not going to get moved till end of next season (when ever that is). Hopefully has a great season and gets good return from someone like Detroit. Also, it's important to see how Demko does in relation to Markstrom next season. If he is seen as comparable then Canucks may keep him (cheaper and younger) and then try to trade Markstrom or let him go in the expansion draft. Also real questionable that anyone in this draft, once you get beyond 4 or 5, is any better a prospect than Demko if he proves himself to be a bona vide NHL starter next season

Stecher as unsigned RFA playing in the Canucks lowest pairing has little value. Canucks can't afford him given his ranking on the team so teams can just wait and pick him up as a free agent. This could apply to Virtanen as well although if there is an understanding on salary (and that looks reasonably possible with Virtanen) then he could be moved.

Reactions: Luckylarry

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
I can see is definitely trying to snag a first rounder. Virtanen, Demko, Stetcher Etc will all be used to try and get that

given where we are now, I dont think acquiring 1st rounders will be a priority, its playoffs or bust moving forward, we should be using Virtanen(and Demko if Marky re-signs) to go about trying to beef up the blue line.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
realistically there is no one touchable and not a pending ufa on the roster other than demko and virtanen who could fetch a high draft pick. maybe myers or pearson if they have a really great playoffs. they aren't going to trade young cheap guys.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
given where we are now, I dont think acquiring 1st rounders will be a priority, its playoffs or bust moving forward, we should be using Virtanen(and Demko if Marky re-signs) to go about trying to beef up the blue line.
We also need to using the first rounders to unload the awful contracts we have

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Its incredible how little I care about this draft as we aint gotta top pick

Thats a good thing, means the team is going in the right direction I guess

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Demko + Eriksson to Detroit for Edmonton/Detroit 2nd rounder pls (I dream)

Stecher + Sutter to Ottawa for a 2nd rounder pls (I continue to dream)

Clear cap get picks pls (I have not stopped dreaming)

But in all seriousness, good value players will need to be packaged to remove expensive bottom 6 player contracts and I doubt teams will give up 2nd or 3rd rounders for these players. But a man can dream.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Now that the first round pick in the trade is finalized for Miller. Canucks can focus on moving forward with all their draft picks intact in the coming years, Miller still locked in a sweetheart deal, Canucks having an absolute electric young core, and are positioned to be a better team year over year.

Not to mention that Canucks still have a great load of prospects that will be vying for NHL jobs (Rathbone, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind, Juolevi, Lockwood)

The future is bright!

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Demko is not going to get moved till end of next season (when ever that is). Hopefully has a great season and gets good return from someone like Detroit. Also, it's important to see how Demko does in relation to Markstrom next season. If he is seen as comparable then Canucks may keep him (cheaper and younger) and then try to trade Markstrom or let him go in the expansion draft. Also real questionable that anyone in this draft, once you get beyond 4 or 5, is any better a prospect than Demko if he proves himself to be a bona vide NHL starter next season

Nah. Markstrom is going to have trade and expansion draft protections guaranteed. No way he re-signs here without that. If you commit to Markstrom then either Demko stays on in a Pekka Rinne and Juuse Saros arrangement or he's gone. Probably a good idea to see if you can get a late first for Demko and acquire a cheap backup and see if Dipietro can be the successor. If the deal is not there, you might as well see if Demko can improve his stock next season.

I'm high on Demko but honestly most of these goalies of the future don't work out. Even taking the next step from young premier backup to top 15 type #1 goalie is a big step.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad