2020 Entry Draft Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
You believe this isn’t a big draft??

It’s very top heavy. I think it’s been stronger past years outside the first round. Having a bunch of picks is great and all, but I’d rather have 3-4 picks in the top 50 rather than a whole bunch spread out all over the draft. Maybe hold on to one more in the 7th to send the fans home happy.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
More picks wont cut it unless theyre top 10. This is not a deep draft at all, its a big high or dont buy situation.

I agree with you...the problem is that it's rare that a team that is struggling at this point of the season would trade a potential top ten draft pick, especially knowing this draft is elite from 1--10.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
I havent read a lot about the draft but my opinion is we need to get into the top 5 to get a game changer. We need a star forward desperately. With Detroit and Ottawa likely getting much better after this draft we need to keep up. Need to think long term.

Habby Patty

May 7, 2018
Ontario
I have returned, I doubt any of you remember me, I posted a lot back around 2018 draft. However, as Montreal continues to lose, I’m interested again and happy to discuss who we should pick if we do end up with a top 10. Personally, I really like Stutzle if we miss out on Laf, Byfield or Drysdale. Looks like he has star potential

We really badly need a star in Montreal. A PPG player. I hate watching all these mediocre players every night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: atrud66

Locks

May 28, 2005
Rossi's numbers are just obscene at this point. Inching closer to McDavid territory...

I've read up on him and watched some video and came away very impressed. Almost every single scouting report is full of praise. A dynamic offensive player who is strong in every area: skating, faceoffs, playmaking, scoring and defense. And he is very strong with a low centre of gravity despite his height. And his numbers are just ridiculous - 69 pts in only 29 GP and 15 points more than the next scorer on Ottawa in six less GP. And if we roughly prorate to 35 GP of the next guy, the difference would be about 28 points (!). And +46.

He is ranked just outside top 10 by most services but the latest ISS rankings has him at 9 and I would not be surprised if the other services move him inside the top 10. If we are in that 9-11 range, which is a real possibility, I think we should seriously consider this guy. Lundell might be a safer pick due to his size and proven pro experience, but there are some question marks about his offensive upside, some doubts if the Finish centre has that high end offence in him. And it is not like we did not draft our big, defensively responsible centres.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I've read up on him and watched some video and came away very impressed. Almost every single scouting report is full of praise. A dynamic offensive player who is strong in every area: skating, faceoffs, playmaking, scoring and defense. And he is very strong with a low centre of gravity despite his height. And his numbers are just ridiculous - 69 pts in only 29 GP and 15 points more than the next scorer on Ottawa in six less GP. And if we roughly prorate to 35 GP of the next guy, the difference would be about 28 points (!). And +46.

He is ranked just outside top 10 by most services but the latest ISS rankings has him at 9 and I would not be surprised if the other services move him inside the top 10. If we are in that 9-11 range, which is a real possibility, I think we should seriously consider this guy. Lundell might be a safer pick due to his size and proven pro experience, but there are some question marks about his offensive upside, some doubts if the Finish centre has that high end offence in him. And it is not like we did not draft our big, defensively responsible centres.

I hope we don't pick someone based on size.

Then again, I get the concern of adding a guy like Rossi to a team such as ours that's already fairly small up front. But the fact he's even outproducing Lafreniere should count for something.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT

I could see a team take him top 7

Locks

May 28, 2005
I hope we don't pick someone based on size.

Then again, I get the concern of adding a guy like Rossi to a team such as ours that's already fairly small up front. But the fact he's even outproducing Lafreniere should count for something.

Yes, I get the concern but by the time he is ready Weal is gone and forgotten, and probably even Byron. Then KK and Poehling will play much more prominent roles and I expect Armia to re-sign unless his $ demands are unreasonable. Even if C is not a need anymore, BPA concept should apply. A high-end C prospect/young player can always fetch a nice return in a trade.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
f*** I know we are a tiny team but Marco Rossi is putting up some unreal numbers. What's his skating like?

Reactions: Rozz

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
**** I know we are a tiny team but Marco Rossi is putting up some unreal numbers. What's his skating like?

Based on what I have seen of him on
You tube, I feel he an excellent skater... terrific hockey sense....he's 5'9"....passes really well.... dangerous around the net....Rossi and Caufield could create plenty of scoring chances.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Based on what I have seen of him on
You tube, I feel he an excellent skater... terrific hockey sense....he's 5'9"....passes really well.... dangerous around the net....Rossi and Caufield could create plenty of scoring chances.
I don't mind having both Rossi and Caufield at all. If both pan out we can trade guys like Gallagher, Byron, Lehkonen and one of Domi/Drouin to get bigger and more talented. I've read that he has questionable skating though, any truth behind that?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't mind having both Rossi and Caufield at all. If both pan out we can trade guys like Gallagher, Byron, Lehkonen and one of Domi/Drouin to get bigger and more talented. I've read that he has questionable skating though, any truth behind that?
Thats Perfetti.

Rossi is a slick player and hes a lot like Gallagher in the way he plays. The only reason hes not going first overall is because hes tiny and its a great year in the top 3. If it wasnt for the Habs, Id pick him anytime.

Id rather have Rossi and Newhook than Caufield and Holloway BTW.

Locks

May 28, 2005

I doubt that from what I saw in highlights and scouting reports. He is a very good skater. Pronman mentioned that skating is not elite though. Elite is basically Byron or Mete. One report I saw compared him to Perfetti and said that while Perfetti has an edge offensively, Rossi is faster, stronger and better defensively. And Rossi's offence is fine and dandy by all accounts. Rossi's emergence is good news for us as it effectively gives the Habs another really interesting option of a high end prospect to consider, particularly if we don't stay at the current position and end up drafting in the 9 to 11 range.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Rossi is a better skater and more offensively gifted than Gallagher....though is a natural leader and is willing to go to the dirty areas.
Even if we added Rossi, I would still keep Gallagher....he is the heart and soul of the team.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Thats Perfetti.

Rossi is a slick player and hes a lot like Gallagher in the way he plays. The only reason hes not going first overall is because hes tiny and its a great year in the top 3. If it wasnt for the Habs, Id pick him anytime.

Where do you have him ranked?

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Everyone knows that Rossi is great offensively....but supposedly he plays responsibly defensively....he plays a real 200 foot game...no clear weakness to his game....
By adding Rossi, we would need to trade Byron to a team in need of speed in their lineup.

I wouldn't be surprised that Ottawa uses it's second pick in the top 10....to pick Rossi...plays in Ottawa for the 67s.
Imagine Lafrenière and Rossi together or Stutzle and Rossi or Byfield and Rossi....Ottawa would be a lot stronger.

Thats Perfetti.

I would rather have Caufield and Rossi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Michoulicious

Locks

May 28, 2005
Everyone knows that Rossi is great offensively....but supposedly he plays responsibly defensively....he plays a real 200 foot game...no clear weakness to his game....
By adding Rossi, we would need to trade Byron to a team in need of speed in their lineup.

Exactly, the reports say that for all his offensive talents he is really good defensively and plays with an edge.

In a couple of years when Rossi is ready - I assume another year in the OHL and a year in Laval - Byron will have one year left on his contract and should be movable unless his game falls off the cliff. So Byron shouldn't be even a factor in considering drafting Rossi.

atrud66

Tank Tabarnack
Aug 5, 2014
Edmonton
Terrible drafting and development is why we're here
Another year wasted
No belief in the owner and manager
Karaktère won't cut it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events